Random Twinborn Combos: Go!

Koloss17

Random Twinborn Combo Day 22:

A-Zinc and F-Tin

This one is actually not that bad! Obviously it’s not one that allows reverse compounding, but you can get some cool stuff with it. 

using F-tin, you can hear folks’ heartbeat, see them in extra detail, and pick up on subtle physical cues. You could end up being quite the skillful rioter, honestly. 

Resonance: I would say having a baseline understanding of how people work. Psychological understanding and all that.

Name: Hawk would probably work quite well!

Rating: 7/10. I hate to give anything with F-Tin anything below an 8, but I must be (relatively) objective with my ratings.

6 hours ago, Walter The Moral said:

There are too many Twinborn who would work great with the name Manipulator! It’s really annoying!!

Might be good to use more specific names, like Gaslighter or Exaggerator. Those are two I've come up with, but the more 'specific' you can get with manipulation-based names, the better.

Random Twinborn Combo Day 23:

A-Chromium and F-Brass

So I believe I’ve said what I need to say about A-chromium-better than nothing, but often a stab in the gut is better than a touch on metallic wiping.

However, it is a good point that with time, it can wipe investiture from a metalmind, which can indeed be pretty cool.

F-Brass is useful for being a sweaterlord all day every day, as well as becoming the human torch if need be. A nice ability, but not insane exactly.

However, I do like that a twinborn like this could weaponize their hands, making them burn things to the touch, and also leech using Chromium. Makes both better, in a way.

I could certainly imagine a monk-like character fighting people with their bare hands, and it working out really well.

Resonance: Honestly don’t know.

Name: Poisonfist would be quite the superhero name, so I’ll roll with that one.

Rating: 7/10. Not great, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Edited by Koloss17

51 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

However, I do like that a twinborn like this could weaponize their hands, making them burn things to the touch, and also leech using Chromium. Makes both better, in a way.

Imagine you're facing someone that you think is a Brass Ferring, and preparing your Pewter. You know the insane heats that these Ferrings can reach, and your only hope is to flare your Pewter and hope for the best. The Ferring walks towards you and places their hand on your arm. Your Pewter is flared, yet suddenly you feel a flash of heat, and your only hope, your flared Pewter, vanishes.

Yeah it's not a very likely scenario, but that would be very cool to see.

1 hour ago, Koloss17 said:

However, it is a good point that with time, it can wipe investiture from a metalmind, which can indeed be pretty cool.

Can it? I was under the impression that it could only effect Kinetic Investiture, so a Metalmind in the process of being tapped would be vulnerable but one that was just sitting around would be impervious to A-chromium.

Otherwise, Wax would have lost all his stored weight on the train fight with the Primer Cube and when Mr. Suit drained him in their duel in BoM.

1 hour ago, Walter The Moral said:

Imagine you're facing someone that you think is a Brass Ferring, and preparing your Pewter. You know the insane heats that these Ferrings can reach, and your only hope is to flare your Pewter and hope for the best. The Ferring walks towards you and places their hand on your arm. Your Pewter is flared, yet suddenly you feel a flash of heat, and your only hope, your flared Pewter, vanishes.

Yeah it's not a very likely scenario, but that would be very cool to see.

That could be an interesting scenario; you opponent isn't expecting you to have A-chromium, so they prepare to fight you in the fashion they normally do, which is something you could (and should) absolutely take advantage of.

What about "Mindwhisper" as a name (a pun on F-Tin being 'Windwhisper')?

Oooo. I like that one!

Edited by Trusk'our

9 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

Can it? I was under the impression that it could only effect Kinetic Investiture, so a Metalmind in the process of being tapped would be vulnerable but one that was just sitting around would be impervious to A-chromium.

Yes, that's the rule:

Spoiler

Questioner

Nicrosil and chromium, do those have any interaction with people using Feruchemy, or other Investiture in general? Leechers or Nicrobursts.

Brandon Sanderson

Could you use those on Feruchemists? You should be able to, yes.

Questioner

Would that only work while they're tapping it?

Brandon Sanderson

If it's active Investiture, probably yes. You'd probably need it to be kinetic Investiture in order for them to do anything about it.

Dragonsteel Mini-Con 2021 (Nov. 22, 2021)

But this WoB suggest that Leecher can just burn away all their metals, including piercings and invested metals (very likely intent matters, what Nicki Savage did in BoM broadsheet): 

Spoiler

Kaymyth

I asked the question about chromium vs a Compounder with both Invested and un-Invested metals in both their stomach and piercings.

Brandon Sanderson

What it boils down to is this:

1) Yes, the piercings will get burned off.

2) The non-Invested metals go before the Invested ones. He said that because Invested metals are harder to affect, it takes a little extra time and effort to get them to burn off. So a Leecher trying to clean out a Compounder would have to get a good grip and hang on for a few seconds.

3) Chromium burns about as quickly as duralumin, so if you're trying to burn off a lot of metals, it is possible to run out of chromium before your target is clean. This would probably only be an issue when dealing with larger pieces (like jewelry) rather than your standard metal-flakes-in-the-stomach deal.

ConQuest 46 (May 22, 2015)

Edit:

2 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

A-Chromium and F-Brass

So I believe I’ve said what I need to say about A-chromium-better than nothing, but often a stab in the gut is better than a touch on metallic wiping.

F-Brass is useful for being a sweaterlord all day every day, as well as becoming the human torch if need be. A nice ability, but not insane exactly.

I could certainly imagine a monk-like character fighting people with their bare hands, and it working out really well.

Great combination, specialized in hand to hand combat (yes, for sure in the style of monks). I like the name Firetouch for this one. You can not only drain their investiture away, but also burn them (or freeze them) while doing so - which would be very confusing for them, as when drained they feel a sudden coldness - how would that interact with touch at 100 degree Celsius? Make them feel cold without feeling their skin burning? Or make them feel fire without feeling their investiture and metals go away? Sounds cool. This is a very surprising combination.

Edited by alder24

On 5/11/2023 at 10:00 PM, Koloss17 said:

Name: Acrobat would be a nice one, or given that they’re lucky with fast metals being shot at them, Daredevil?

Darevil nicely parallels the previous Twinborn the Trickshot (A-Steel, F-Zinc), so I could imagine the two being a Wax & Wayne type of duo.

15 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

What about "Mindwhisper" as a name (a pun on F-Tin being 'Windwhisper')?

Mindwhisper is an unfairly cool name.

2 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

A-Chromium and F-Brass

Like Alder said, a very good combination for a hand-to-hand martial artist-style person. As a side note, I just thought of something. Brandon has said that Firesouls could potentially hurt themselves by compounding. Could this be because The Firesoul could heat up an immense amount, cause their surroundings to become unimaginably hot, then stop tapping and get burned from all that heat?

I've always thought that all the burn-at-a-touch superheating objects thing might not work because the Feruchemy only ever makes you immune to its own effects, so you could end up burning yourself from the heat of the object you're making hot, but always rationalized it away with the fact that as long as the Firesoul themselves is hotter than the object, entropy would keep the heat going towards the colder thing. But if the Firesoul stops being hotter, what then?

19 minutes ago, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

Like Alder said, a very good combination for a hand-to-hand martial artist-style person. As a side note, I just thought of something. Brandon has said that Firesouls could potentially hurt themselves by compounding. Could this be because The Firesoul could heat up an immense amount, cause their surroundings to become unimaginably hot, then stop tapping and get burned from all that heat?

I've always thought that all the burn-at-a-touch superheating objects thing might not work because the Feruchemy only ever makes you immune to its own effects, so you could end up burning yourself from the heat of the object you're making hot, but always rationalized it away with the fact that as long as the Firesoul themselves is hotter than the object, entropy would keep the heat going towards the colder thing. But if the Firesoul stops being hotter, what then?

Great combination, specialized in hand to hand combat (yes, for sure in the style of monks). I like Well, you can melt your brassmind - brass melting point is 930°C (1710°F). But if you tap lots of heat, that your surrounding is dangerously hot, if you stop tapping, you can get hurt - but that's not a smart thing to do, just start storing heat and you'll be fine in that hot environment. Now that I think about it, Firesoul is probably the only Ferring that can generate attributes to store while tapping his metalmind. That's very, very useful.

Spoiler

Thoughtful Spurts

If tapping heat means your own body gets hotter, does it also mean you become immune to hot temperatures so long as you're tapping it, or should you fill heat and grow colder for that to happen?

Brandon Sanderson

As everything in Feruchemy, you become immune to the effects of the ability only. Like weight doesn't crush you, but at the same time doesn't have a net gain in strength. Growing colder, however, would be more helpful in this regard.

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 26, 2012)

In the WoB you mentioned, Brandon said that it's very hard to tap so much heat that you'll die. Possible, but hard. There is likely some upper limit of how much your body can handle, maybe melting point of bones (1670°C (3038 °F))? Not because of heating your enviroment (this can cause harm to careless Ferring, who forgets that he can store that heat), but rather because there are some very high upper limits of how much your "immunity" can handle.

Spoiler

Questioner

If Feruchemists can store warmth, and you can Compound if you have the dual... Could they harm themselves by drawing too much warmth?

Brandon Sanderson

Could they draw it out of their body and therefore kill themselves by freezing themselves?

Questioner

Either way. Either that, or burn and Compound too much...

Brandon Sanderson

This is harder to do that you think it [is], because built into Feruchemy is the natural body's resistance to the things you're doing, but it is possible.

Calamity Austin signing (Feb. 25, 2016)

1 minute ago, alder24 said:

Great combination, specialized in hand to hand combat (yes, for sure in the style of monks). I like Well, you can melt your brassmind - brass melting point is 930°C (1710°F). But if you tap lots of heat, that your surrounding is dangerously hot, if you stop tapping, you can get hurt - but that's not a smart thing to do, just start storing heat and you'll be fine in that hot environment. Now that I think about it, Firesoul is probably the only Ferring that can generate attributes to store while tapping his metalmind. That's very, very useful.

Hide contents

Thoughtful Spurts

If tapping heat means your own body gets hotter, does it also mean you become immune to hot temperatures so long as you're tapping it, or should you fill heat and grow colder for that to happen?

Brandon Sanderson

As everything in Feruchemy, you become immune to the effects of the ability only. Like weight doesn't crush you, but at the same time doesn't have a net gain in strength. Growing colder, however, would be more helpful in this regard.

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 26, 2012)

In the WoB you mentioned, Brandon said that it's very hard to tap so much heat that you'll die. Possible, but hard. There is likely some upper limit of how much your body can handle, maybe melting point of bones (1670°C (3038 °F))? Not because of heating your enviroment (this can cause harm to careless Ferring, who forgets that he can store that heat), but rather because there are some very high upper limits of how much your "immunity" can handle.

Hide contents

Questioner

If Feruchemists can store warmth, and you can Compound if you have the dual... Could they harm themselves by drawing too much warmth?

Brandon Sanderson

Could they draw it out of their body and therefore kill themselves by freezing themselves?

Questioner

Either way. Either that, or burn and Compound too much...

Brandon Sanderson

This is harder to do that you think it [is], because built into Feruchemy is the natural body's resistance to the things you're doing, but it is possible.

Calamity Austin signing (Feb. 25, 2016)

Maybe, but considering the melting point for Brass is lower than that, you'd probably lose your Metalminds and die of the heat before getting to that point. I don't think there could be an upper limit on the immunity though, because that opens some weird avenues for the other Feruchemical powers. Could you tap so much weight you crush yourself instantly? Tap so much breath you over-oxygenate and die?

18 minutes ago, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

Maybe, but considering the melting point for Brass is lower than that, you'd probably lose your Metalminds and die of the heat before getting to that point. I don't think there could be an upper limit on the immunity though, because that opens some weird avenues for the other Feruchemical powers. Could you tap so much weight you crush yourself instantly? Tap so much breath you over-oxygenate and die?

as long as the brass doesn't evaporate, could you use it? can you use liquid metal for a metalmind?

6 minutes ago, Being of Cacophony said:

as long as the brass doesn't evaporate, could you use it? can you use liquid metal for a metalmind?

You can, but it's gonna be really difficult because it would instantly burn you. You could maybe get away with Brass if you start storing really quickly, but otherwise, it's practically impossible.

39 minutes ago, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

22 minutes ago, Being of Cacophony said:

You can still tap molten metal, while dangerous, it's possible:

Spoiler

Nethseäar

Can you burn or Feruchemically fill molten metal? Assuming, you know, that was something you wanted to do.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, you should be able to but that would be very nasty.

Nethseäar

Would it affect the Investiture?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, it would affect the Investiture.

Shadows of Self release party (Oct. 5, 2015)

Also those "upper limits" might have something to do with duralumin and compounding:

Spoiler

Questioner

What happens if you burn duralumin while Compounding?

Brandon Sanderson

Duralumin while Compounding. So, what duralumin does is it burns out of all of your metal in one burst. So it doesn't necessarily gain you power, it makes it all happen at the same time. The same thing would happen.

Questioner

Could you turn into a baby?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, you could totally turn into a baby. That is within the power of using that, doing <health wrong>, yeah you could totally... You'd be really dangerous.

Questioner

But it wouldn't really do much?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh it would have explosive... it does things really fast. That's what it does. Yes you could achieve very powerful sudden effects through that. It'd be scary. Controlling it can be dangerous, regardless of which metal you use.

Arcanum Unbounded Seattle signing (Dec. 1, 2016)

And there are some known upper limits - for F-steel you can't run too fast as the air will burn you, and the speed of light is the absolute limit. For F-atium there will be a moment when you can't store enough youthfulness, to prevent your body from aging. For F-iron, you're getting heavier but moving slower and slower. For F-pewter you can tap so much strength that you won't be able to move at all, because of your bulkiness.

As WoB said, with F-brass this is something hard to hurt yourself by tapping heat, and likely involves melting your metalminds.

There are however lower limits on Feruchemy - you can't store 100% of any attribute. You can't store all your weight, all your speed, all your temperature. So if there is a lower limit, why not an upper limit?

2 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Nethseäar

Can you burn or Feruchemically fill molten metal? Assuming, you know, that was something you wanted to do.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, you should be able to but that would be very nasty.

Nethseäar

Would it affect the Investiture?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, it would affect the Investiture.

Shadows of Self release party (Oct. 5, 2015)

Also those "upper limits" might have something to do with duralumin and compounding:

Hide contents

Questioner

What happens if you burn duralumin while Compounding?

Brandon Sanderson

Duralumin while Compounding. So, what duralumin does is it burns out of all of your metal in one burst. So it doesn't necessarily gain you power, it makes it all happen at the same time. The same thing would happen.

Questioner

Could you turn into a baby?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, you could totally turn into a baby. That is within the power of using that, doing <health wrong>, yeah you could totally... You'd be really dangerous.

Questioner

But it wouldn't really do much?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh it would have explosive... it does things really fast. That's what it does. Yes you could achieve very powerful sudden effects through that. It'd be scary. Controlling it can be dangerous, regardless of which metal you use.

Arcanum Unbounded Seattle signing (Dec. 1, 2016)

And there are some known upper limits - for F-steel you can't run too fast as the air will burn you, and the speed of light is the absolute limit. For F-atium there will be a moment when you can't store enough youthfulness, to prevent your body from aging. For F-iron, you're getting heavier but moving slower and slower. For F-pewter you can tap so much strength that you won't be able to move at all, because of your bulkiness.

As WoB said, with F-brass this is something hard to hurt yourself by tapping heat, and likely involves melting your metalminds.

There are however lower limits on Feruchemy - you can't store 100% of any attribute. You can't store all your weight, all your speed, all your temperature. So if there is a lower limit, why not an upper limit?

The last bit makes sense, but the rest are practical limitations rather than the Feruchemical immunities running out. You could become as fast as you want, running that fast just also happens to burn you alive because of friction. Atium, it's because there's not enough attribute stored to reverse all that aging, but I suppose there is an actual limit in that you cant become younger than a baby. Iron, god knows how that works at this point, but you still don't get crushed under the weight, so indirect limit? Pewter, it becomes useless to you, sure, but you could still tap even more strength.

As for lower limits, those are there because there is only so much attribute you can draw from yourself (You can only store as much weight as you weigh) and because you would kill yourself by storing too much. The only hard evidence there is for a tapping limit is Atium, and that's a special case because you can only get so young. I think the upper limits for Brass would really just be the melting point of Brass, since that's the practical limit for that metal.

1 hour ago, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

You can, but it's gonna be really difficult because it would instantly burn you. You could maybe get away with Brass if you start storing really quickly, but otherwise, it's practically impossible.

31 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Yeah, that's what I was going at. You can probably survive doing it, so that's one way you could get at least a little hotter than brass melting point. It would probably also work with gold, as it you would heal the burns while they were happening

Yeah. Its a super cool combination for a magical martial arts, D&D monk class, type character. Not the most powerful combo, but extremely cool.

Even if you could tap molten brass, there'd still be an upper limit when it vaporized.

BTW, I find it very odd that you can tap molten metals at all, since the physical structure of metal is the key to the Investiture.

Edited by cometaryorbit

10 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

BTW, I find it very odd that you can tap molten metals at all, since the physical structure of metal is the key to the Investiture.

The WoB said molten state of the metal would affect investiture, some weird things might happen when you try to tap or store in it.

5 hours ago, alder24 said:

The WoB said molten state of the metal would affect investiture, some weird things might happen when you try to tap or store in it.

Yeah, it's just kind of surprising to me that it works at all, because surely the structure difference between molten iron and solid iron is much larger than the difference between iron and steel.

The pure metals could be justified as the relevant structure being the atom itself, but I think alloys would need the crystal structure of the metal to be relevant. The iron atoms in steel aren't any different from the iron atoms in pure iron.

Random Twinborn Combo Day 24:

A-Nicrosil and F-Tin

You know, it sure is a shame that we aren’t getting anything where F-tin can reverse compound.

Well, A-Nicrosil is pretty cool. Theoretically, one could Nicroburst a metalmind, but I don’t really know how that would work: could you Nicroburst your own metalminds? Probably, but would that do anything that you couldn’t do anyway? Probably not.

F-tin is my favorite feruchemantic metal (believe it or not), and I really like it’s versatility.

That being said, I’m not seeing a lot of synergy here. Nicrobursts are kind of front line-support folks, and like being in the thick of things and, while Windwhisperers could be in the thick of things, they generally would be acting as watchmen or something of the like. Still, I suppose it could be quite nice for a duo of sorts, with one being a heavy hitter, and the other being an enabler and agile attack dodger. With this Twinborn kinda acting as the Wayne-type.

Resonance: perhaps fine control of storing, enabling easy going from deaf to acutely hearing?

Name: Keenburst sounds weird, but I don’t have many other ideas.

Rating: 7/10, but I could see that this would have a high complexity cap in the right environment.

12 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

Well, A-Nicrosil is pretty cool. Theoretically, one could Nicroburst a metalmind, but I don’t really know how that would work: could you Nicroburst your own metalminds? Probably, but would that do anything that you couldn’t do anyway? Probably not.

I don't think so, you nicrobursting people with kinetic investiture. But if you have a primar cube, you can nicroburst yourself - which won't be good with tin, as Vin in WoA proven, she burn duralumin with bronze, but also with tin, and tin just overwhelmed her for long seconds allowing Zane to escape unnoticed.

F-tin is my favorite feruchemantic metal (believe it or not), and I really like it’s versatility.

It's really hard to believe F-tin overlord... Prove it :P 

That being said, I’m not seeing a lot of synergy here. Nicrobursts are kind of front line-support folks, and like being in the thick of things and, while Windwhisperers could be in the thick of things, they generally would be acting as watchmen or something of the like. Still, I suppose it could be quite nice for a duo of sorts, with one being a heavy hitter, and the other being an enabler and agile attack dodger. With this Twinborn kinda acting as the Wayne-type.

Guard? How about an artillery spotter? And by artillery I mean coinshot, working in pair together - one is looking out for enemies with F-tin, the other one gets nicrobursted to shoot coins at incredible distance to deter attackers. That's a nice pairing in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, alder24 said:

It's really hard to believe F-tin overlord... Prove it :P 

You know, I used to have my own F-Tin cult…but then it died out. I’ve been needing an excuse to necromance it, but I’ve needed a good reason.

I’ve created enough posts now that it might be possible….

Maybe be prepared for the reigniting of F-Tin Cult Reborn?

15 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

2 hours ago, alder24 said:

I don't think so, you nicrobursting people with kinetic investiture. But if you have a primar cube, you can nicroburst yourself - which won't be good with tin, as Vin in WoA proven

The problem here isn't static vs kinetic investiture (tapping a metalmind is kinetic, though an inert metalmind isn't), it's internal vs external. Nicrosil/Chromium in Allomancy are the external versions of Duralumin/Aluminum, so I don't think they can affect the Allomancer ... same reason that A-Atium doesn't show the burner's own future shadow like A-Electrum, or that A-Malatium doesn't show Vin or Kelsier their own gold shadow; arguably those cases are weird because godmetals, but iirc it's specifically pointed out with Breeze that Soothing can't affect the user. I think the only external metals that affect the user are the time bubbles, and from Wayne's wording in TLM it sounds like what's actually being Pulled/Pushed is time itself, not people or objects. (Steel jumps are just conservation of momentum results from Pushing on metals; they're not literally Pushing themselves.)

But yeah a primer cube should be able to get around this limit.

The question is whether Duralumin/Nicrosil bursts actually accomplish anything for Feruchemy, since Feruchemy already allows tapping everything at once; would it get around the diminishing returns at high tapping rates, or is it just useless?

Edited by cometaryorbit