Finally making my way through TLM

Finding some interesting things.  I thought Kel only had the steel sight but in his discussion with the agents in ch. 40 he specifically mentions his timeline being impossible even with steel pushing because metal doesn't push down into water that easily.  

Also found it fascinating that the chemist believes scadrial will be making aluminum cheaper than tin in just a few years.  This changes a lot of the cosmere future imo.  

I am really looking forward to more of the book as I keep reading but this is so cool.  

If I recall correctly era 2 scadrial is a decade or two behind Roshar books 1-5.  With the 6 year gap we could be looking at 20-30 years after the events of Roshar 5?  Depending on what happens in SA 5 the possibilities are endless. 

I forsee the amount of anti-investiture turning the sci-fi and beyond eras into pure tech races.  And they won't be able to rely on just magical tech as every step towards more tech comes out to be a step further away from investiture I feel.  

Have you read ALL of TLM??

25 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Finding some interesting things.  I thought Kel only had the steel sight but in his discussion with the agents in ch. 40 he specifically mentions his timeline being impossible even with steel pushing because metal doesn't push down into water that easily.  

TLM Epiloge 4 spoilers: 

Spoiler

He's lying. He said it in this epilogue. WoB

Spoiler

Sethcran

When Kelsier said in The Lost Metal that he couldn't Steelpush over water, do the Ghostbloods think that Kelsier has his Allomantic powers, and is he lying to them about it?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, they think he has Allomantic powers still.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 5 (Dec. 2, 2022)

28 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Also found it fascinating that the chemist believes scadrial will be making aluminum cheaper than tin in just a few years.  This changes a lot of the cosmere future imo.  

Aluminum is very common and cheap in your world. Industy.

29 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

If I recall correctly era 2 scadrial is a decade or two behind Roshar books 1-5.  With the 6 year gap we could be looking at 20-30 years after the events of Roshar 5?  Depending on what happens in SA 5 the possibilities are endless. 

Yes, the gap between SA 5 and SA 6 is around 10-20 years. Era 2 takes place somewhere in that timeline. Look out for Ghostblood mentioning Roshar in their hideout chapter (you've missed it I think).

31 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Spoiler

Sethcran

When Kelsier said in The Lost Metal that he couldn't Steelpush over water, do the Ghostbloods think that Kelsier has his Allomantic powers, and is he lying to them about it?

Brandon Sanderson

You can search for a preview chapter of SotD2 (here WoB reading). Heavy future of Cosmere spoilers there, avoid if you don't want to know. Put in spoiler boxes if you want to disscuss it more. Interesting things are happening there.

You'd foresee it better if you'd finished reading the Stormlight Archives :P

1 hour ago, alder24 said:

Have you read ALL of TLM??

TLM Epiloge 4 spoilers: 

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Sethcran

Brandon Sanderson

Aluminum is very common and cheap in your world. Industy.

Yes, the gap between SA 5 and SA 6 is around 10-20 years. Era 2 takes place somewhere in that timeline. Look out for Ghostblood mentioning Roshar in their hideout chapter (you've missed it I think).

You can search for a preview chapter of SotD2 (here WoB reading). Heavy future of Cosmere spoilers there, avoid if you don't want to know. Put in spoiler boxes if you want to disscuss it more. Interesting things are happening there.

You'd foresee it better if you'd finished reading the Stormlight Archives :P

I am in the hideout now.  I heard mention of roshar and relistned to it.  They were talking about a bunch of the systems and how the perpendicularities are a dangerous way to travel to some more than others.  

I thought I had read something about a kandra already being on roshar... I find it interesting that harmony wants to branch out more and is sending Melaan right now.  Is the Kandra on Roshar not reporting to Harmony or was it just a beta test for his outreach programs in the future?  

I cheated and already read the kelsier conversation with Harmony.  I know I suck for being so okay with spoilers. I had not seen that wob yet. 

As for SA.  I know.  I have like 11 hrs left of oathbringer and I know it is going to get better.  But it is hard after 30 hrs of snoozefest.  

21 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

I thought I had read something about a kandra already being on roshar... I find it interesting that harmony wants to branch out more and is sending Melaan right now.  Is the Kandra on Roshar not reporting to Harmony or was it just a beta test for his outreach programs in the future?  

There is a Kandra on Roshar in SA, they're not working for Harmony:

Spoiler

Nextorl

In The Lost Metal, MeLaan is said to be the first kandra Harmony sent off-world. Does that mean that the kandra on Roshar are not in Harmony's employment?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes! Good way to connect the dots. That is exactly what that means.

R'Shara

Brandon, you previously said the kandra on Roshar WAS an agent of Harmony.

Brandon Sanderson

Did I? *sounds uncertain* Well... I'm changing my mind. Yeah. No. I... uhh... Nope, not an agent of-

I know exactly who this kandra is and what they're doing and yeah. I'm going to say I don't know why I said that before, but now, no.

Footnote: R'Shara is referring to this WOB where Brandon says that the kandra is an agent of Sazed

22 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

I cheated and already read the kelsier conversation with Harmony.  I know I suck for being so okay with spoilers. I had not seen that wob yet. 

That's cheating, stop it! :P 

But I kind of understand it. As a child, when I was reading I used to randomly open a book at end pages and read one sentence there to "spice" things up, bring more excitement, investment and to theorize what will happen that will lead to that sentence. Until I read that the main character of a freshly started book will die and I stopped doing that. That wasn't fun anymore.

22 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

As for SA.  I know.  I have like 11 hrs left of oathbringer and I know it is going to get better.  But it is hard after 30 hrs of snoozefest.  

You're getting the the best part of OB :) 

2 hours ago, alder24 said:

There is a Kandra on Roshar in SA, they're not working for Harmony:

Reveal hidden contents

Nextorl

In The Lost Metal, MeLaan is said to be the first kandra Harmony sent off-world. Does that mean that the kandra on Roshar are not in Harmony's employment?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes! Good way to connect the dots. That is exactly what that means.

R'Shara

Brandon, you previously said the kandra on Roshar WAS an agent of Harmony.

Brandon Sanderson

Did I? *sounds uncertain* Well... I'm changing my mind. Yeah. No. I... uhh... Nope, not an agent of-

I know exactly who this kandra is and what they're doing and yeah. I'm going to say I don't know why I said that before, but now, no.

Footnote: R'Shara is referring to this WOB where Brandon says that the kandra is an agent of Sazed

That's cheating, stop it! :P 

But I kind of understand it. As a child, when I was reading I used to randomly open a book at end pages and read one sentence there to "spice" things up, bring more excitement, investment and to theorize what will happen that will lead to that sentence. Until I read that the main character of a freshly started book will die and I stopped doing that. That wasn't fun anymore.

You're getting the the best part of OB :) 

Okay so the Kandra on Roshar is not working for Harmony.  I wonder if there is a spike allowing it to stay hidden from harmony or if he is simply allowing it to operate elsewhere without getting information from it.  

Yeah I am a sucker for spoilers. I still have never watched the 5th season of Chuck because I read the wiki for it as I was watching season 4 and decided I liked the season 4 ending more haha.  

I love seeing how a story unfolds.  Mistborn was really neat because I was able to learn about the magic as it was happening but I really feel like other books in the cosmere have not offered the pacing I want and in my search for the world building I ignore the story until I get to it casually.  I just want the rules to the systems (a large part of why I got the MAG.  I just want a ruleset for headcannon).  

Also, and this probably makes me sound like a pitiful sap, for pen and paper adventures I like to incorporate the characters in the world into the rpg.  A stupid hold up is knowing how character story arcs progress as it wrecks the headcannon I am making.  Once I move on from a side story of my own making I like to turn on the books again.  

SA suffers from insane stat bloat.  The characters are growing so powerful at such a rate that keeping them in line with other worlds really wrecks a ton of the joy I get from picturing other stories in the cosemere.  The power creep is just so high that SA is wrecking the cosmere for me.  

The idea of mass produced aluminum does help in that aspect and potential mashing up of systems makes up for it.  I think that after TLM I will be in a better headspace to move on with stormlight.  It just feels out of place in the cosmere.  I totally get that it is a different world entirely and it is supposed to feel the most alien to ours... but the power creep of living plate and infinite stormlight and healing that would make Miles blush just saps the magic out of the rest of the cosmere for me.  (Part of why I am trying to stay retired from vs battle threads).  

6 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

SA suffers from insane stat bloat.  The characters are growing so powerful at such a rate that keeping them in line with other worlds really wrecks a ton of the joy I get from picturing other stories in the cosemere.  The power creep is just so high that SA is wrecking the cosmere for me.  

The idea of mass produced aluminum does help in that aspect and potential mashing up of systems makes up for it.  I think that after TLM I will be in a better headspace to move on with stormlight.  It just feels out of place in the cosmere.  I totally get that it is a different world entirely and it is supposed to feel the most alien to ours... but the power creep of living plate and infinite stormlight and healing that would make Miles blush just saps the magic out of the rest of the cosmere for me.  (Part of why I am trying to stay retired from vs battle threads).  

Well, there is a single revelation somewhere in TLM that will negate the power difference between Scadrial metal arts and Rosharan Surgebinders. I'm not spoiling you that, you might have already missed that, come back to me when you're done with TLM fully - I'm not feeding your spoiler addiction! :P 

Plus BoM introduced us to the Bands, which also grants "comparable" level of power as Surgebinders have for a single individual.

There is dozens of reasons why sane person should stay away from versus threads :D 

9 hours ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

I would offer additional perspective that could be helpful, in that while most  Invested Arts are 'natural' (side-effect of Shard investing a system), the most powerful ones have been somewhat modified by magic users (or at least so it seems).

On Roshar, wild Surgebinders were "bound"/organized by Ishar into Knights Radiant (and other Heralds even call them Ishar's Knights, suggesting quite strong connection).
And when we look at powers they get, they are directly suited for warfare, either in direct combat or in support roles. But all get Plate and Blade, which are clear combat tools.
Personally, I think wild Surgebinders had access to Surges, but had neither Blade nor Plate, and Ishar (possibly with help from Honor) modified the way Nahel Bond functions for them to include these two provisions (and possibly others).

So from this angle, strength of Knights Radiant (it is even in the name) makes sense, since they were at least partially designed for combat, unlike most other Invested Arts.
Honorblades are similarly directly intended as weapons of war, not just accidental Invested Art.

And on Sel

Spoiler

Elantris the city was built only after Elantrians already existed, and is strengthening them (and possibly modifying the selection process).

So overtime, as other worlds get better at realmatics, they too could further empower their Invested systems. Of course, neither Roshar nor Sel will stand still either, however there is also regular technology to help bridge the gap (e.g. magitech of Roshar vs regular tech + Medallion tech of Scadrial).

11 hours ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

The characters are growing so powerful at such a rate that keeping them in line with other worlds really wrecks a ton of the joy I get from picturing other stories in the Cosmere.  The power creep is just so high that SA is wrecking the Cosmere for me.  

Sanderson is aware, and events in RoW will help level the field. But you have to get there. I too found reading Oathbringer difficult (and it remains my least favorite SA book - mostly due to Shallan's arc). If you can get to Ch 114, it picks up considerably (with a huge climax) - but even the chapters right before that pick up (starting around Ch 102 for me). And watch for a Worldhopper in the flashbacks.

2 hours ago, therunner said:

I would offer additional perspective that could be helpful, in that while most  Invested Arts are 'natural' (side-effect of Shard investing a system), the most powerful ones have been somewhat modified by magic users (or at least so it seems).

On Roshar, wild Surgebinders were "bound"/organized by Ishar into Knights Radiant (and other Heralds even call them Ishar's Knights, suggesting quite strong connection).
And when we look at powers they get, they are directly suited for warfare, either in direct combat or in support roles. But all get Plate and Blade, which are clear combat tools.
Personally, I think wild Surgebinders had access to Surges, but had neither Blade nor Plate, and Ishar (possibly with help from Honor) modified the way Nahel Bond functions for them to include these two provisions (and possibly others).

So from this angle, strength of Knights Radiant (it is even in the name) makes sense, since they were at least partially designed for combat, unlike most other Invested Arts.
Honorblades are similarly directly intended as weapons of war, not just accidental Invested Art.

I do also agree that Radiants were modified by Ishar/Honor in such a way. "Wild" Surgebinding could certainly be more powerful until it was bound by Honor. But I do think spren manifested themself as Shardblades in an attempt to mimic Honorblade before being bound by Ishar/Honor. I agree that on Roshar their powers are mostly well balanced (with a bit too strong healing but that's ok).

49 minutes ago, alder24 said:

I do also agree that Radiants were modified by Ishar/Honor in such a way. "Wild" Surgebinding could certainly be more powerful until it was bound by Honor.

I think there were two 'bounding' events.

First, Honor restricted Surges after destruction of Ashyn, which limited capabilities of all Surges accessed through Surgebinding of Rosharan system (access through any combination of HCO). These started falling away with death of Honor (so Bondsmiths can now manipulate Connection more generally, Stoneshaping might start getting more destructive, etc.)

Second, Ishar (possibly with assistance of Honor), reformed wild Surgebinders into Knight Radiants. Personally I think this included addition of Plate (and possibly Blade), and the strict gating using Oaths. RoW spoilers

Spoiler

The second part is inspired by the fact that Kaladin in RoW is clearly more powerful then 3rd Oath Windrunner, but until he says the Words he cannot progress to 4th Oath suggesting some mechanism that prevents the ascension within Knight Radiant Oath levels, despite spren bond progressing to that level already.

Original mechanism would still reflect both Cultivation and Honor, with bond with Spren being required to access Surgebinding, and strength determined by growing depth of this bond.
Strict level gating seems very 'gamey' and kind-of artificial, which is not typically the case for Sanderson's magic systems.

This would also explain why wild Surgebinders were such danger, since they did not necessarily have to swear such restrictive Oaths (or such formal Oaths).

But I do think spren manifested themself as Shardblades in an attempt to mimic Honorblade before being bound by Ishar/Honor.

I see that possibility as well.
Personally, I think the part spren mimicked was the bond between Honorblade and Herald, which granted them surgebinding. The Blade form came only after Ishar reformed into Knights.

I agree that on Roshar their powers are mostly well balanced (with a bit too strong healing but that's ok).

I do agree that the healing can be a bit much, but various RoW discoveries could limit that.

Edited by therunner

14 hours ago, alder24 said:

Well, there is a single revelation somewhere in TLM that will negate the power difference between Scadrial metal arts and Rosharan Surgebinders. I'm not spoiling you that, you might have already missed that, come back to me when you're done with TLM fully - I'm not feeding your spoiler addiction! :P 

Plus BoM introduced us to the Bands, which also grants "comparable" level of power as Surgebinders have for a single individual.

There is dozens of reasons why sane person should stay away from versus threads :D 

Not sure if this is the part you are talking about.  But I just heard of the spikes that don't kill.  The idea that you can steal pure investiture from a person. 

I don't know how exactly that will play out.  I think it makes nicrosil compounding more dangerous perhaps.  

2 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Sanderson is aware, and events in RoW will help level the field. But you have to get there. I too found reading Oathbringer difficult (and it remains my least favorite SA book - mostly due to Shallan's arc). If you can get to Ch 114, it picks up considerably (with a huge climax) - but even the chapters right before that pick up (starting around Ch 102 for me). And watch for a Worldhopper in the flashbacks.

I am nearly done with 114.  That is where I left it.  The hours were dreadfully rough before that.  I looked and have only 7 hours left of that book... I guess I need to hit it again after TLM. 

1 hour ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Not sure if this is the part you are talking about.  But I just heard of the spikes that don't kill.  The idea that you can steal pure investiture from a person. 

I don't know how exactly that will play out.  I think it makes nicrosil compounding more dangerous perhaps.  

That's not it but it's also a game changer. In addition to that Hemalurgic revelation read Ars Arcanum entry on Hemalurgy, spikes and compounding.

Edited by alder24

8 minutes ago, alder24 said:

That's not it but it's also a game changer. In addition to that Hemalurgic revelation read Ars Arcanum entry on Hemalurgy, spikes and compounding.

I am curious about what others think a full spike of just investiture would do?  Similar enhancements to heightening?  If you had 3 spikes filled with the innate investiture of 60-90 people on Scadrial what would that do for a person even if they aren't metalborn at all?  

1 minute ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

I am curious about what others think a full spike of just investiture would do?  Similar enhancements to heightening?  If you had 3 spikes filled with the innate investiture of 60-90 people on Scadrial what would that do for a person even if they aren't metalborn at all?  

It might be possible to gain some Heightening-like effects, that's a lot of investiture, but I doubt 3 spikes worth of it is close to 1st Heightening.

Edit: you would make life of 60-90 people worse than that of Drabs. Evil it is I would say.

Spoiler

Volratho

If someone was tapping gold, would spiking a separate ability out of them kill them? Or would it work at all?

Brandon Sanderson

It is possible to spike someone without killing them. But they'd never be the same. It would be worse than being a drab.

#SandersonChat Twitter Q&A with Audible.com (Feb. 4, 2016)

Edited by alder24

1 hour ago, alder24 said:

It might be possible to gain some Heightening-like effects, that's a lot of investiture, but I doubt 3 spikes worth of it is close to 1st Heightening.

Edit: you would make life of 60-90 people worse than that of Drabs. Evil it is I would say.

Hide contents

Volratho

If someone was tapping gold, would spiking a separate ability out of them kill them? Or would it work at all?

Brandon Sanderson

It is possible to spike someone without killing them. But they'd never be the same. It would be worse than being a drab.

#SandersonChat Twitter Q&A with Audible.com (Feb. 4, 2016)

Okay so 50 breaths to make the 1st heightening.  50 drabs.  In this case you are making more than 50 people worse than drabs.  

Granted a person starting with more or less investiture doesn't say a whole lot about what you are getting no matter what the end result is.  And it is possible that not all innate investiture is the same.  Biochromatic breath could still be a much different type of investiture than whatever is being spiked out of these people.  

BTW I just listened to the roseite golem scene... that is so epic.  I have been torn between which aethers I like just off of my own headcannon and what the coppermind offers.  I see so many more possibilities after hearing that part of the book.  

I am curious if a roseite aetherbound could almost weave the invested crystal into and through their body.  Almost infusing skin and bone with it.  And if that would offer resistance to shardblade cuts. 

Spoiler

I still am sold on midnight being the coolest in terms of mechanics and aesthetics. But I am trying to think of defensive possibilities for it as well.  Seems great for ranged combat and assassinations but I don't know.  

Just now, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Okay so 50 breaths to make the 1st heightening.  50 drabs.  In this case you are making more than 50 people worse than drabs.  

That might not be the case. A single Breath is worth more than Preservation's fragment in a single Scadrian - and that's what you're pulling out from them, and possibly not fully. Part of it is even lost because of Hemalurgy and later decay. 

10 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Granted a person starting with more or less investiture doesn't say a whole lot about what you are getting no matter what the end result is.  And it is possible that not all innate investiture is the same.  Biochromatic breath could still be a much different type of investiture than whatever is being spiked out of these people.  

Breath is different, it's a little splinter of Endowment, carrying her intent. On Scadrial it's Preservation's fragment doing the same with Preservation's intent. Breaths can be given, fragments can't.

10 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

I am curious if a roseite aetherbound could almost weave the invested crystal into and through their body.  Almost infusing skin and bone with it.  And if that would offer resistance to shardblade cuts. 

Possible.

On 5/4/2023 at 4:31 PM, alder24 said:

Okay okay.  I finished it.  I am not sure I caught that single revelation though.  

I see aluminum becoming mass produced to be a big advantage.  

I also can see the ability to harvest more investiture for spikes to be a large step in the right direction.  (Although it is gruesome and I would hope that the technique could be combined with other arts to minimize the number of folks needed to turn worse than drabs.) 

Trying hard to think back.  Do you mean the non investiture related advancements in technology?  I honestly figured that every planet will eventually reach those same advancements just reskinned for flavor.  

It is neat to think that lerasium could be possible again. Kelsier seems to agree that technology isn't enough. The metallic arts need to be stronger in the people although this poses another issue/question I will have to post about compounding and sdna.  

So what was it?  Have I totally missed something big? 

16 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Okay okay.  I finished it.  I am not sure I caught that single revelation though.  

I see aluminum becoming mass produced to be a big advantage.  

I also can see the ability to harvest more investiture for spikes to be a large step in the right direction.  (Although it is gruesome and I would hope that the technique could be combined with other arts to minimize the number of folks needed to turn worse than drabs.) 

Trying hard to think back.  Do you mean the non investiture related advancements in technology?  I honestly figured that every planet will eventually reach those same advancements just reskinned for flavor.  

It is neat to think that lerasium could be possible again. Kelsier seems to agree that technology isn't enough. The metallic arts need to be stronger in the people although this poses another issue/question I will have to post about compounding and sdna.  

So what was it?  Have I totally missed something big? 

Using pure Dor and Perpendicularity to fuel metal arts, making it much, much stronger, on the level of Rashek or maybe even Vin drawing from Mists. Such Mistborn/Feruchemist would be far more powerful, and could fight very well against Radiants - leveling the difference between Scadrial and Roshar. That's partially why Ghostbloods wants to acquire Stormlight from Roshar on a mass scale.

3 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Using pure Dor and Perpendicularity to fuel metal arts, making it much, much stronger, on the level of Rashek or maybe even Vin drawing from Mists. Such Mistborn/Feruchemist would be far more powerful, and could fight very well against Radiants - leveling the difference between Scadrial and Roshar. That's partially why Ghostbloods wants to acquire Stormlight from Roshar on a mass scale.

Oh yes.  I do remember seeing that.  

Do you think that stormlight usage for fueling allomancy would also grant the healing effects of stormlight to the users?  

In a situation where a bondsmith decides to open a perpendicularity in the middle of a battle field between radiants and mistborn they could be fueling both sides at this point. Not just infinite fuel but it appears that the more purified investiture available the more powerful the allomancy gets as well which is good news for scadrial and dangerous news for others.  

5 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Do you think that stormlight usage for fueling allomancy would also grant the healing effects of stormlight to the users?  

No, that's Radiant's effect.

6 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

In a situation where a bondsmith decides to open a perpendicularity in the middle of a battle field between radiants and mistborn they could be fueling both sides at this point.

No, because Bondsmith provides keyed Stormlight, gaseous form of investiture keyed to Honor, what Mistborn needs, and Ghosetbloods want, is unkeyed light, without connection to Honor. Pure Dor is unkeyed.