Issuing gratitude

Tien'sPetLurg

I don't know who is in charge or where to post (or much of anything really) but I wanted to say Thanks! This site is great and clearly takes a lot of effort. To those who have had a hand in it, Thank You!!!! I reference the Coppermind wiki multiple times a day. (Did I just admit that?!) Anyway, in a world of complaints and grumbles, I just want to let you know what you've done here is awesome.

I reference the Coppermind wiki multiple times a day. (Did I just admit that?!)

Don't worry about that, at least you're not editing it multiple times a day XD (I legitimately spend about 5 hours a day on the coppermind

Wow. These sites must be quite the labor of love. I have noticed (and appreciated) the lack of advertisements.

Now I will say 2-15,000 things that age me greatly: 1. There's something about these sites that reminds me of the early internet days----when people built resources for free just because they were passionate about them. 2. I wish we'd had things *like* the copper mind wiki (for other authors, series of novels, etc) when I was in school. That sort of resource would have blown away "Cliff Notes," or what the youth were calling Spark Notes, years ago.

(3) I've watched the world become a place where many won't hesitate to type up an ugly review, but they seldom think to type up a positive remark. Most people think web sites happen by "magic" without much regard for the time and financial expenses that go into having that "spot" on the web. Maybe we all occasionally forget that there are human beings who require energy in order to continue to give that effort behind the scenes. I don't know that this sort of thing goes on Here amongst sharders. I sense a lot of good collaboration. But I believe it takes no longer to type something that is positive and possibly helps boost energy than it does to type the opposite kind of message.  

Those who are, by nature, givers don't tend to do it for praise. But a little bit of appreciation and recognition of the effort you expend, can put a little wind behind your sails.  To those of you who are investing your time and energy into these sites, I say "Well done!"

Wow. These sites must be quite the labor of love. I have noticed (and appreciated) the lack of advertisements.

Now I will say 2-15,000 things that age me greatly: 1. There's something about these sites that reminds me of the early internet days----when people built resources for free just because they were passionate about them. 2. I wish we'd had things *like* the copper mind wiki (for other authors, series of novels, etc) when I was in school. That sort of resource would have blown away "Cliff Notes," or what the youth were calling Spark Notes, years ago.

(3) I've watched the world become a place where many won't hesitate to type up an ugly review, but they seldom think to type up a positive remark. Most people think web sites happen by "magic" without much regard for the time and financial expenses that go into having that "spot" on the web. Maybe we all occasionally forget that there are human beings who require energy in order to continue to give that effort behind the scenes. I don't know that this sort of thing goes on Here amongst sharders. I sense a lot of good collaboration. But I believe it takes no longer to type something that is positive and possibly helps boost energy than it does to type the opposite kind of message.  

Those who are, by nature, givers don't tend to do it for praise. But a little bit of appreciation and recognition of the effort you expend, can put a little wind behind your sails.  To those of you who are investing your time and energy into these sites, I say "Well done!"

This is exactly one of the main reasons I love 17th Shard and spend more time than is healthy on here. Everyone cares so much and is ridiculously kind and thoughtful and helpful, from the admins and their Spiked Awesomeness to people who joined last week. If any website is ever worthy of gratitude, it's this one.

Also, it's easier to gush about how wonderful everything is over the internet for some reason. I agree, it takes just as much/little effort to be thoughtful as to be nasty, and I'm glad we mostly do it the right way.

OOOH green arrow (wait that sounds super hero-ish... up vote, is it?!) for the kindred spirit appropriately named Delightful---but even more so for the glorious words above your Newcago crest.  :D I'm quite fond of clicking the green arrows. Good times. 

OOOH green arrow (wait that sounds super hero-ish... up vote, is it?!) for the kindred spirit appropriately named Delightful---but even more so for the glorious words above your Newcago crest.  :D I'm quite fond of clicking the green arrows. Good times. 

Awww I'm flattered! :wub:  Thank you for your kind words with which I cannot make a pun, and which perfectly embody our aforementioned compliments to this site.. :) Take a GreenArrow which could totally be an Epic. (I mean, if Rick O'Shea can be an Epic, so can GreenArrow. Epic of the Upvotes, Keeper of Reputation! Her one weakness is negativity, embodied by her mortal enemy. *shudders* *whispers* You-Know-Who. RedArrow, Epic of the Downvotes and Drowner of Humanity in Sorrow and Desperate Hate.  :( )

The Shardpen or the High Imperial quote?   :lol:

Also, I hadn't consciously noticed the lack of ads. Now that I have....it's really amazing and I love it. Not even a 'buy merch here!' ad or anything!

Edited by Delightful

The Shardpen or the High Imperial quote?   :lol:

Both. I'm a fan of High Imperial and the idea of what you hoped would be discovered. My brain will never be the same after reading that thread about the map secrets.  I need an aspirin the size of a gemheart now.  I thought we were going to play a hidden image game like on the back of those kid's magazines... Highlights?! ( http://www.highlightskids.com/hidden-pictures ).   :P 

Also, I hadn't consciously noticed the lack of ads. Now that I have....it's really amazing and I love it. Not even a 'buy merch here!' ad or anything!

I'm on a strict media diet. The conscious decision to cull as much advertising out of my life as possible has been transformative. When I visit a web site without ads, it's like stepping into a library---quiet, calm and possibly conducive to clarity of mind. Whereas most sites are like a giant 3 ring circus of stimuli and my eye doesn't know where to look or how to mentally focus. That said, I do buy things. I got my husband a bridge 4 shirt from Brandon's store recently. It's awesome. In this way (for once) I'm like most people: I hate to be sold, but I love to buy.  :blink:

I wanted to say thank you for the kind words, and give you a bit of a heads up. We have discussed putting ads onto the site, but if we do we can promise they will be very unobtrusive.

As you mentioned, it does take time and money to run a site, and right now admins are paying for everything out of pocket, and we don't have the pocket money to be spending. However, we can promise you that it won't be flashing annoying ads that make you want to scream. If we have our way, they will be insanely targeted.

$20 does not, however, cover the main site costs...

I promise you ads will be very targeted and be very tasteful. I've tried one out in a test skin and it actually makes the site better, oddly enough.

And by "the admins" paying out of pocket, that is basically me :P Someday it'd be nice to break even...

I'll let y'all sort out who gets the drop in the bucket.  

As one who used to work for the devil, a.k.a. media/marketing, you have a fairly niche crowd here. The eyes on your site would be of value to specific vendors. I'm all for people being able to pay their bills. I'm crossing my fingers that y'all keep it classy.
yM0CTg1.gif

Ads? They wouldn't bother me unless they're the really annoying graphic/audio kinds.

Just promise you won't let the relationship black magic people post ads here. :P

Haha, they will be nothing of the sort.

Joke's on you, I'll collect all the links from the bots and put them in the bottom. MUWHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA