Venli's spren and Odium

ayush09

37 minutes ago, ayush09 said:

I don't know if I am missing something, but why Odium wasn't able to see Venli's spren during their encounters. I mean as a shard he can easily see through shadesmar and spiritual realms.

Welcome to the Shard.

Investiture glows for Shards, If Timbre hides herself inside Venli's body or very close to her, inside her pouch with spheres with Stormlight/Voidlight, Odium won't notice her, as Venli's soul glows as bright as Timbre and Stormlight and Voidlight blinds him as well. The closest Timbre was to being discovered is when Dalinar pulled Venli inside his vision, but because Odium wasn't able to quickly break into that vision, and had to attack it until it was fully broken (due to Stormfather's resistance) Dalinar was able to sent Venli away, before Odium took over and was able to notice her.

RoW spoilers:

Spoiler

Urithiru glows in Cognitive Realm, because it's all the Sibling's body, made out of investiture, which makes it really hard to see. That's how Odium views investiture as well. 

Mistborn spoilers:

Spoiler

It was better explained in the Mistborn series, when it was stated outright that metal blinds Shards. In the case of Scadrial metal is made out of Ruin and Preservation's investiture, that's why it glows so much. Other invested objects like perpendicularity or Atium glows even more, blinding Shards vision. In that case it was better for Ruin to look through Inquisitor, Koloss or Kandra's eyes when searching for Atium as they wouldn't be blinded like he was.

1 hour ago, ayush09 said:

I don't know if I am missing something, but why Odium wasn't able to see Venli's spren during their encounters. I mean as a shard he can easily see through shadesmar and spiritual realms.

3 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Welcome to the Shard.

Investiture glows for Shards, If Timbre hides herself inside Venli's body or very close to her, inside her pouch with spheres with Stormlight/Voidlight, Odium won't notice her, as Venli's soul glows as bright as Timbre and Stormlight and Voidlight blinds him as well. The closest Timbre was to being discovered is when Dalinar pulled Venli inside his vision, but because Odium wasn't able to quickly break into that vision, and had to attack it until it was fully broken (due to Stormfather's resistance) Dalinar was able to sent Venli away, before Odium took over and was able to notice her.

Also note that a Bonded Spren isn't in the Cognitive realm unless their bonded Radiant is as well. One of the reasons that the Spren are so child-like early in the bond (Syl in WoK, Pattern in WoR) is because crossing over without the bond stunts their Sapience. Forging the bond with a Radiant is what returns their Sapience (and they gain back more of their memories as the bond progresses past the first and second oath). 

So, Timbre wasn't just hiding near sources of investiture, she was doing so in the Physical Realm. 

7 minutes ago, ayush09 said:

Ohh, I see now. It was completely out of my mind that sprens are either present in Physical realm or cognitive realm, not in both. Thanks for clarification.

Not sure how far you are in the series, but you will get much more obvious information on this in Oathbringer Part 4. 

11 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Not sure how far you are in the series, but you will get much more obvious information on this in Oathbringer Part 4. 

Actually I've read completely upto Rythm of War, but somehow it slept out of my mind.