Soothing Den = Opiates?

Bri-Y

• 3 weeks later...

To sum up: I think our conclusion is that emotion-manipulating powers will have a variety of legitimate uses and so they won't be seriously regulated. In addition, can you imagine what would happen if all the Soothers and Rioters decided to oppose a particular law?

To sum up: I think our conclusion is that emotion-manipulating powers will have a variety of legitimate uses and so they won't be seriously regulated. In addition, can you imagine what would happen if all the Soothers and Rioters decided to oppose a particular law?

The interesting part of that is that if the emotional Allomancers did rebel, they could do a lot of damage... as long as they never made their rebellion public. The minute they did, someone's going to outfit a bunch of Thugs and Coinshots with aluminum hats and say "Go to it, boys". However, if the emotional Allomancers kept quiet... the amount of civil unrest they could cause, weakening the central government, would be insane. Similar to the Collapse, I imagine.

The interesting part of that is that if the emotional Allomancers did rebel, they could do a lot of damage... as long as they never made their rebellion public. The minute they did, someone's going to outfit a bunch of Thugs and Coinshots with aluminum hats and say "Go to it, boys". However, if the emotional Allomancers kept quiet... the amount of civil unrest they could cause, weakening the central government, would be insane. Similar to the Collapse, I imagine.

Even an Aluminum Hat Army would be pretty useless, really.

It only takes a handful of Copperclouds to hide who the Allomancers are, and the crowds will only get more upset about your attempts to find Rioters/Soother behind their perfectly justified feelings, rather than fixing the problem. And only a few would have to escape the massacre to get all the journalists really angry about the injustices which transpired. Nasty stuff.

Moral: never get ALL the emotional Allomancers on the same side of anything. Ever.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

Even an Aluminum Hat Army would be pretty useless, really.

It only takes a handful of Copperclouds to hide who the Allomancers are, and the crowds will only get more upset about your attempts to find Rioters/Soother behind their perfectly justified feelings, rather than fixing the problem. And only a few would have to escape the massacre to get all the journalists really angry about the injustices which transpired. Nasty stuff.

Moral: never get ALL the emotional Allomancers on the same side of anything. Ever.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

I'm not sure about that. People do not trust Soothers and Rioters. If the media was informed that emotional Allomancy was being used to influence people against the government, it could well lead to a McCarthy-like witch hunt of emotional Allomancers... which would actually make for a pretty awesome story, come to think of it.

In addition, can you imagine what would happen if all the Soothers and Rioters decided to oppose a particular law?

I was thinking more that the emotionals would have a tremendous advantage in any political campaigning on the issue.

I'm not sure about that. People do not trust Soothers and Rioters. If the media was informed that emotional Allomancy was being used to influence people against the government, it could well lead to a McCarthy-like witch hunt of emotional Allomancers... which would actually make for a pretty awesome story, come to think of it.

I agree. Remember the Coppercloud politician?

This also has some interesting judicial applications. It might be practical to train all judges to sense emotional Allomancy (like obligators used to be trained), but you certainly couldn't train jurors to do that. So that might be a big obstacle to Scadrial developing the jury system.

P.S. To anticipate a possible objection, you couldn't spot them with bronze. Without a general knowledge of Hemalurgy, there's no double bronzes, and that means nobody who can pierce copperclouds. All you'd need would be a Smoker confederate for your hypothetical Soother.

• Chaos locked this topic