Gender of spren

ajotatxe

9 hours ago, Argenti said:

The whole reassigned thing covers all the investiture of a spren. A splinter of ado that was re-assigned would have all of it's investure re-assigned.

RIght, but not necessarily all of that will reassign to one Shard. Coppermind:

Spoiler

While a Shard's power is never truly separated from itself, as it is all connected through the Spiritual Realm, Splinters represent power that has been released or removed by a Shard. Splinters tend to not have much in the way of a Physical aspect.
As a chunk of Investiture they tend to be more rooted in the Cognitive and Spiritual Realms. While many Splinters are composed of the Investiture of a single Shard, in the case of some Splinters they may actually be composed of the Investiture of two or more Shards. One distinguishing factor of a Splinter is that it may often have an intent of its own, separate from that of its parent Shard, although it may be thematically related. Splinters are often sentient and have an associated personality, although that personality may be destroyed or its body tortured. However, they do not necessarily need a personality to be considered a Splinter.

Which derives from this WoB (and possibly others):

Questioner

Is there a specific Shard that most of the spren come from?

Brandon Sanderson

Most of the spren are going to be related to a combination of Honor and Cultivation, weighted certain directions for certain types of spren. But the spren are mostly both of them. 

So, an entity that was a Splinter of Ado may have re-assigned with investiture from two or more shards - and may even have it's own separate intent. Similar to Nightblood

Spoiler

Bystander

Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

So they would call Nightblood a spren. They would call-- That's the word for what all of these things are.

Walin

Does Nightblood contain any of Ruin's Investiture? Like, not atium, but...

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, technically; and I'm not wiggling around that, because technically, location in the Cosmere and who belongs to what gets really weird, right? Because Ruin's Investiture is everywhere--but I'm not talking that way. I'm talking the way you actually mean it. 

So Nightblood would be called a Spren on Roshar - and has (at least) Endowment's and Ruin's Investiture (likely because of the "Destroy" in his Command) and may even be a Splinter, since we see him with his own Intent.

And that was a real long digression on the nature of the distinction I meant.

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

14 hours ago, Treamayne said:

And that was a real long digression on the nature of the distinction I meant.

The wonders of text. 

14 hours ago, Treamayne said:

RIght, but not necessarily all of that will reassign to one Shard. Coppermind:

Hide contents

Which derives from this WoB (and possibly others):

So, an entity that was a Splinter of Ado may have re-assigned with investiture from two or more shards - and may even have it's own separate intent. Similar to Nightblood

Hide contents

So Nightblood would be called a Spren on Roshar - and has (at least) Endowment's and Ruin's Investiture (likely because of the "Destroy" in his Command) and may even be a Splinter, since we see him with his own Intent.

Yeah that's fair.