Console or PC?

Kasimir

I guess it's one question I've recently been curious about, as my console broke down, so I'm in the process of selling off my games. Are you a console gamer or a PC gamer? Why?

I originally didn't get a console with the intention of gaming: I got it because it was going for cheaper than Blu-ray players. Then because I had one, it did seem like a decent idea to swap my gaming to the console instead. What I liked about it was that there was less of a need to trouble-shoot or to worry that a game wasn't going to work with your PC specs. It was just slot in the game, install, and play. And I did prefer handling games like Assassin's Creed on PS controls rather than PC ones.

The downside, of course, is (I'm told), worse graphics, the fact that I can't play mods with my games (*cough* Skyrim *cough*), that when a new console rolls out and doesn't have backward compatibility... (thanks, PS4), I'm in for quite a spot of bother with regard as to what to do.

So, console or PC? Which is it? Or do you go for both? :P

Edit: Oh shucks, I put it in Entertainment because I assumed gaming fit well with video games, but now I'm not sure if it's better under Tech Discussion. If I've made a mistake here, I'm sorry mods >>

Edited by Kasimir

It works well enough here or in tech discussion, it's not a particularly huge problem. besides, there's discussions on video games in the entertainment forum as well, so it's fine.

As for on topic:

glorious-pc-gaming-master-race_design.pn

PC MASTER RACE!!!!!
Mostly because I hate the idea of console exclusivity, and just the console war in general. Also because pc's are superior in every way :P
(Also props to Eerongal for the Zero Punctuation pic XD)

It works well enough here or in tech discussion, it's not a particularly huge problem. besides, there's discussions on video games in the entertainment forum as well, so it's fine.

Understood, thank you for the clarification :)

-

Well, I'm shifting towards PC myself, with the death of my console and the fact I have already gotten my hands on a Blu-Ray player :P Not that I game as much these days, so there's that as well.

I originally didn't get a console with the intention of gaming: I got it because it was going for cheaper than Blu-ray players.

This is the precise reason that my family got one here.

When I was younger, and I spent less time on the internet and more time playing games, I mostly played on the PS2/3, due to the fact that I was a real fan of JRPGs due to my friends, and didn't really have any experience with games from almost anywhere else except Japan. I pretty much only play the Kingdom Hearts and Disgaea series on the PS3 these days. I also spend a lot of time away from home at university, so I physically can't play it a lot of the time.

Now, having said that, I am fond of my 3DS. I don't often play it due to the fact that I've completed most of the games I've got and have other things to do, but there are certain games on there that I really love, and can't get on any other console. I don't use the 3D aspect, but for the most part I play DS games on it anyway because the screen's so much larger than on my agéd DS.

Most of my time gaming though is on my PC. Generally speaking, almost every game on a console that I want is also available on PC and usually works better on it as well due to the extra hotkeys and so on. I tend not to care too much about the hardware aspect though, because generally speaking my laptop is able to cope with most things (on a low setting). The only games I can't play on my laptop that I've found are Sims 3 (which is also now unplayable full stop due to the 10 minute loading times...) and KOTOR2, which is strange to me considering its age and the fact that Skyrim works, but.

On the other hand though, I don't like XBoxes. I've never owned one, and doubt that I ever will. Not because I prefer Sony to Microsoft, but because the XBox has never had a game on it exclusively that I've been interested in. Also because I hate the idea of paying for an online account like that. So maybe I do prefer Sony to Microsoft, though that's like saying that I'd prefer to read Paolini to Meyer, with Valve being Weeks and GoG being Sanderson for a comparison :P.

I do like my mods though, and any game like Elder Scrolls I will get on PC just because of this. I also like the greater versatility of games available on the computer, and I think that Steam is a lot better than the PSN due to the fact that Steam doesn't overcharge you as badly for a new game.

So yeah, while I don't judge on hardware as such, I definitely judge by the company's treatment of their players with regards how much they charge their players for things, and the games that I want on each. For instance, I won't be shelling out on a PS4 until it becomes really cheap or there's a lot of stuff on it that I want (and I have the time to make it a worthwhile investment). Whereas my computer is still fairly decent and has new games on it practically every week thanks to Steam and GoG sales.

So yeah. PC Master Race, because it's not exclusively owned by some massive company, neither of the main two I go to overcharges their customers, and it has, quite often cheap, varied games :P.

Edited by Wyrmhero

PC for me, has the most interesting games (esp. Dota 2) and a huge games library (especially if you count the old video game platforms you can emulate). Chances are you'll probably need a PC (or at least tablet) anyway to do some writing work at home - might as well add 400-500 euros on top and get a multimedia PC for decent performance or more, if you want to be ready for VR. Current consoles just don't offer anything over PC, except maybe a tiny bit easier maintenance of the OS.

On top of that, PCs also offer extensive multimedia functions (drawing, editing and managing photos and movies), extended community features for games like modding or just a decent chatting in MMO games, and interesting innovations are on the horizon (Steam Controller, Occulus Rift).

Both.

For me, Console are for FPS and other games where you are physically in the game. I find that it's gives much more experience and is more immersive. Playing the same games on PC just feels dull.

I play strategy (my favorite genre of games) and such games on PC. More power, but less immersive. But then, for strategy games, who needs physical immersion?  :D

May I ask for a list of your games, Kas? I'm totally not going to buy any.  :D

It really depends on your favorite genre of games. FPS and stuff, go for console. Strategy and stuff, it's PC for you.

I've really wondered about this "PC Master Race" thing. Sure, PC runs more games, but are they as fun or immersive as a XBOX or PS game?

PC all the way if it were up to me, but sometimes you gotta be on the console for the games you love.  

I do have quite a few consoles at home, but I’ve never bought one for myself. My domain was always the PC growing up and the console was something to be hijacked from a younger brother, roommate or boyfriend. Buying a console never felt necessary to me because I could never justify the cost when I’d rather just invest the money into my computer.

However, I feel a little differently towards consoles because now I actually make money, haha, and there are many games I like that I would have missed out on if I didn’t have access to a console. It’s mostly JRPGs and other games that don’t get ported to the PC. So when the time comes to buy the next one, I’ll be chippin’ in cash money.

I actually play a lot of games now on the PC with a controller. It was because of some carpal tunnel issues at first, but now I do it voluntarily if I want to relax at my desk. I also discovered that some PC games work really well with a graphics tablet, if you set it up.

Wow, am I seriously the first person that is going for consoles here?  I'm surrounded and outgunned!

I used to do the whole PC gaming thing years ago.  I actually did console and PC for a good long while.  I slid over to the console side not for any gaming reason, but I just don't have the time to dedicate to it that I used to.  Consoles offered me a way to just pop in and go without having to worry about hardware.  I didn't want to have to keep up with upgrade cycles and rebuilding my machines, though that was fun back in the day.

Wow, am I seriously the first person that is going for consoles here?  I'm surrounded and outgunned!

I used to do the whole PC gaming thing years ago.  I actually did console and PC for a good long while.  I slid over to the console side not for any gaming reason, but I just don't have the time to dedicate to it that I used to.  Consoles offered me a way to just pop in and go without having to worry about hardware.  I didn't want to have to keep up with upgrade cycles and rebuilding my machines, though that was fun back in the day.

:o GET HIM!!!

:P

Yeah I can see the appeal when you don't have much time but I just never get the same satisfaction out of playing a game on console.

PC. I like being able to use my machine for more than just playing games and playing blu-rays (which is all I have ever used my PS3 or). Plus, you end up spending about what you would to upgrade your PC on a new console, with no backwards compatibility for games. Plus steam sale. And having a movie on one screen while writing an essay on another and playing a game on an third(my essays suck) :P.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been doing both from a very young age and never really understood the debate even though I consider myself fluent in most things gaming. There are many games that seem to very clearly belong on PC to me, and others that very clearly seem to belong on console. Like Panda said, FPS games feel better to me on my console. I could get very close to the same setup with a PC if I spent a fair amount of money and basically dedicated the layout of my house to be purely for gaming, but that is a bit much. 

It really boils down to this: when I want to buy a new game, I typically buy it for console. I keep a laptop with solid specs (solid enough) for PC gaming so that I have both mobility and a backup to my console (in case some game review says that the community is larger on PC for a particular game, etc.). My PC sees mostly MMO's and old games that I can buy for cheap. You can't deny the power of a Steam Sale :)

EDIT: I can understand the debate if you are on a hard budget. The answer is then PC (and patience).

Edited by Bloodfalcon

• 3 weeks later...