Iron-Spiking a Pewterarm

Parthinaxe

Simple question that I’m sure has been asked before, but I’m unable to find anything on the topic: what happens if you spike a pewterarm with an iron spike while they burn pewter? Would you only get their base strength, or would you get their allomantically boosted strength?

Welcome to the Forums. Here's some tips and tricks you may find useful:

Spoiler

At the bottom left of a post you will see a "+" icon, a "Quote" link, and (your posts only) and Edit and Options tools. On the bottom right you will see an up arrow.

• The Up Arrow is how you thank people or "like" a post
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you click that for each post
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote" button that pops up.
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .
  • Use the Edit link to make changes to a completed post or add information to your post if it is the most recent (to avoid double posting)
    • Quote buttons will still send a quote to "Reply" if you have a post open for edit, but it is easy to cut/paste the quote to the Edit box
    • Editing the first post in a thread allows the thread-creator to edit the thread title.
    • Editing allows you to add a reason for the edit (Spelling and grammar (SPAG), formatting, clarification, new information, etc.), but it is not required.
  • Next to Edit you will also find an "options" dropbox, you can use this to hide your post if you want to remove it after posting
  • At the top of a post you will find "Report Post"
    • Use this if you do accidentally double-post (sometimes it's the browser or a slow link that causes a double post) - just leave a message that it was an accidental double post and the Mods can fix it. If it was the first post of a new thread that doubled, they usually can merge the threads if they both have answers, so all of the content is retained.

Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, Parthinaxe said:

Simple question that I’m sure has been asked before, but I’m unable to find anything on the topic: what happens if you spike a pewterarm with an iron spike while they burn pewter? Would you only get their base strength, or would you get their allomantically boosted strength?

Unclear, since we have not yet had any Words of Brandon on the topic that I have found. Mostly, I think it's unknown because we have not seen examples of somebody spiking an Allomancer for a non-Allomantic property.

The closest I could find was:

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson

People are Invested in ways that do not give them active powers. So for instance, everyone on Nalthis is Invested. Everyone in the cosmere is, really. You want to steal their Investiture, but they don't have a power. You're still ripping off a piece of their soul. So there is a distinction between the actual Investiture that's in a human being and a specific power that they have.

So that distinction is pretty easy. You can also, with Hemalurgy, steal specific things. You can steal just general Investiture. You can steal, if you want--this is where the kandra Blessings come from. You can instead steal specific things that are not like stealing Allomancy. Stealing, for instance, someone's mental acuity.

Pagerunner

So abilities is like the half that's all the strength, speed, all that kind of stuff? Those are abilities, versus the Metallic Arts are all powers?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

If you are not familiar with the Arcanum or Coppermind, you can look things up there (beware spoilers if you have not read all Cosmere works).

• The Coppermind is a Wiki of all known (and some theoretical) information for the Cosmere (and other Sanderson works)
    • You can look up a topic with the search field in the upper-right (pausing before clicking on a topic will usually reveal sub-pages: e.g. The Hero of Ages\Epigraphs, \interior art, etc.
  • The Arcanum is the collection of all known "Words of Brandon" (WoBs) - or questions and their answers (or lack thereof)
    • You can also look a topic up by the search field on the top right, but you can also:
    • Read all the questions and answers from a given event by clicking on the Discover > Events
    • Read all WoBs on a topic by clicking its hash tag in a given WoB (e.g. #hemalurgy in the linked example above)
    • Search and sort a given hash tag fromthe controls at the top of its page - e.g. #Hemalurgy searching Iron

10 hours ago, Parthinaxe said:

Welcome to the Shard. 

Because Allomantic pewter strength can be stored in a pewtermind, I think you can steal that together with base strength. So if a normal iron spike steals 1x human strength, a Thug burning pewter, who gets 2x stronger, will charge a spike with 2x human strength instead. Flaring would charge it 3x.

This begs an interesting question - how strong would a Koloss be, who's made out of 4 spikes charged with Thug flaring pewter strength? That would be scary.

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Allomantic pewter strength can be stored in a metalmind, but it's probably easier to just Compound.

Alloy of Law 17th Shard Q&A (Nov. 5, 2011)

Spoiler

Sandastron

I’m very curious about pewter. How much Feruchemical pewter, steel, and gold would you have to take in in order to be equal to burning pewter and flaring.

Brandon Sanderson

Oh…um, okay. So you wanna...ok, let’s back this up. So you wanna know feruchemically what would it take to match burning?

Sandastron

Yes.

Brandon Sanderson

Okay. So burning pewter, I kind of imagine...roughly doubling. Roughly.

Sandastron

Double your strength?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. But without the muscle mass change, it’s a magical boost. So because of that it has some pretty dramatic effects, like when Vin jumps and things like that.

Sandastron

So it’s only a double, so would flaring it bring it any higher?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. Flaring would go higher.

Sandastron

Would it be like triple?

Brandon Sanderson

Maybe like triple.

Sandastron

Maybe like tripling...that’s fascinating. So I always thought normal burning would triple it and flaring would quadruple.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah I always felt kind of double. You won’t see people burning pewter and lifting a car.

Sandastron

Right, exactly.

Brandon Sanderson

You see people burning pewter and delivering a really solid punch.

Sandastron

Gotcha, thank you. That is fascinating…and would it be about doubling speed and healing ability?

Brandon Sanderson

I haven’t worked out the numbers on that exactly. I have an instinct that says thatburning pewter, healing goes a bit faster but I have to look in the books and see what we’ve done in the past and then kind of canonize it.

Calamity Philadelphia signing (Feb. 20, 2016)

5 hours ago, alder24 said:

Welcome to the Shard. 

Because Allomantic pewter strength can be stored in a pewtermind, I think you can steal that together with base strength. So if a normal iron spike steals 1x human strength, a Thug burning pewter, who gets 2x stronger, will charge a spike with 2x human strength instead. Flaring would charge it 3x.

I dont think that follows, Allomancy and Feruchemy both work with the Investiture Power supply sources (things that can be used up), while Hemalurgy takes the static/constant machinery of the spiritweb itself.  You can store the allomantic strength increase of Pewter into a Metalmind (in a sort of reverse Compounding) but those will still run out.  I dont think you can use Hemalurgy to transform either brand of Temporary Investiture-augmented Strength into a permanent effect, because the realmics require an additional power source/conduit (either the natural One-Person strength of Feruchemy, or the Plugged-into-the-power-grid source of Allomancy that requires burning metals to hold open. 

57 minutes ago, Doug said:

What would happen if someone were to tap into their stored strength in pewter and then spiking them whilst they're doing it?

Depends on what you think would happen to a Pewterarm. If you think you could steal more strength off a Pewterarm who's burning, you could get more strength off of a Brute who's tapping. I don't think either is the case since Hemalurgy deals with the Spiritweb and neither one affects the Spiritweb at all, so neither would make a difference.

However, if you're a Savant, it would change your Spiritweb, so that could potentially affect it, although Savantism isn't generally transferred with Hemalurgy, so probably not.

Actually, depending on how you think Feruchemy works, you could maybe get more strength off of a Brute who's tapping than a regular person, even if you can't from a Pewterarm.

10 minutes ago, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

Actually, depending on how you think Feruchemy works, you could maybe get more strength off of a Brute who's tapping than a regular person, even if you can't from a Pewterarm.

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if Feruchemy temporarily changes your Spiritweb "code" that defines a person - I don't think Pewter Feruchemy is literally storing muscles into metal, though that's the apparent effect.

I'm still not sure if it would be stealable by Hemalurgy, though.

I'd tend to think that Feruchemy boosts are too ephemeral to steal as permanent - at best, the charge would be trapped in the spike and then immediately run out (as the pewtermind is no longer being tapped).

1 minute ago, cometaryorbit said:

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if Feruchemy temporarily changes your Spiritweb "code" that defines a person - I don't think Pewter Feruchemy is literally storing muscles into metal, though that's the apparent effect.

I'm still not sure if it would be stealable by Hemalurgy, though.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking; things like speed just aren't physical in a storable sense, not in the way it's portrayed, so Feruchemy must be storing away a part of your Spiritual Ideal, which forces your body into a slower state, and then when tapping you add all that stored Spiritual code back onto your Spiritweb, making you faster. In that case, a Feruchemical change would be stolen.

4 minutes ago, cometaryorbit said:

I'd tend to think that Feruchemy boosts are too ephemeral to steal as permanent - at best, the charge would be trapped in the spike and then immediately run out (as the pewtermind is no longer being tapped).

This seems reasonable and accurate. You might get the extra strength for a split second before it reverts to the original.

17 hours ago, Quantus said:

I dont think that follows, Allomancy and Feruchemy both work with the Investiture Power supply sources (things that can be used up), while Hemalurgy takes the static/constant machinery of the spiritweb itself.  You can store the allomantic strength increase of Pewter into a Metalmind (in a sort of reverse Compounding) but those will still run out.  I dont think you can use Hemalurgy to transform either brand of Temporary Investiture-augmented Strength into a permanent effect, because the realmics require an additional power source/conduit (either the natural One-Person strength of Feruchemy, or the Plugged-into-the-power-grid source of Allomancy that requires burning metals to hold open. 

Very likely you're right. But Savantism happens because so much investiture has flown through a soul that it changes it - this means while burning Allomantic metals investiture is flowing through the soul and spike might be able to hijack it as well. Would it be permanent or would it last temporarily depending on the amount of investiture stolen, that's another question.

7 hours ago, alder24 said:

Very likely you're right. But Savantism happens because so much investiture has flown through a soul that it changes it - this means while burning Allomantic metals investiture is flowing through the soul and spike might be able to hijack it as well. Would it be permanent or would it last temporarily depending on the amount of investiture stolen, that's another question.

Like @cometaryorbit said, If the Investiture itself gets captured, it'll most likely be temporary, as it doesn't have a source for more to be drained. You'll get Pewter Allomancy for as long as the Investiture you stole allows, then revert to regular strength.