Why all the spren?

Fyodor32768

2 minutes ago, bmcclure7 said:

Does that mean that most of the void Spren are new made post false desolation? 

I am not entirely sure, I wasn't saying that Odium couldn't have begun it pre-False Desolation. Just that the Sibling knowing the Tone doesn't mean that it has to have been.

We do know, at least, that the Unmade and Sja-anat's corrupted Spren came before the False Desolation, though. That much is certain.  Same with whatever the Thunderclasts are. 

Edited by Firesong

1 minute ago, Firesong said:

I am not entirely sure, I wasn't saying that Odium couldn't have begun it pre-False Desolation. Just that the Sibling knowing the Tone doesn't mean that it has to have been.

We do know, at least, that the Unmade and Sja-anat's corrupted Spren came before the False Desolation, though. That much is certain.  Same with whatever the Thunderclasts are. 

I thought it said that the thunderclast were type of fused in ob?  Maybe I'm wrong it's been a while since I've reread it

5 minutes ago, bmcclure7 said:

I thought it said that the thunderclast were type of fused in ob?  Maybe I'm wrong it's been a while since I've reread it

That was a character being wrong. They were called Spren in one situation, a singer in another, it is just a case that they don't know what they are. 

ncmagic97

In Oathbringer, before the Battle of Thaylen City, Venli is able to see some of the Cognitive Shadows of the Fused waiting in the Cognitive Realm and mentions some are as large as buildings. Are thunderclasts actually a type of the Fused?

Brandon Sanderson

She doesn't know. Thunderclasts are something different, and that is what she is seeing. She is not correctly identifying them. Good question.

They also can exists outside of Desolations

macros

Did Thunderclasts exist on Roshar outside of Desolations?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. They can. They did not normally, they theoretically can, okay?

The cosmere has a lot of cases of characters having their own interpretations of things that are not necessarily correct. Not to the level of an unreliable narrators where you have to question everything, but enough that it shouldn't all be taken at completely face value. 

Edited by Firesong

9 minutes ago, bmcclure7 said:

Does that mean that most of the void Spren are new made post false desolation? 

No, I think they were mostly brought from Ashyn, as they have human appearance, not Singers.

5 minutes ago, bmcclure7 said:

It was but she was wrong:

Spoiler

ncmagic97

In Oathbringer, before the Battle of Thaylen City, Venli is able to see some of the Cognitive Shadows of the Fused waiting in the Cognitive Realm and mentions some are as large as buildings. Are thunderclasts actually a type of the Fused?

Brandon Sanderson

She doesn't know. Thunderclasts are something different, and that is what she is seeing. She is not correctly identifying them. Good question.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 4 (June 16, 2022)

edit: :ph34r:

Edited by alder24

3 minutes ago, alder24 said:

No, I think they were mostly brought from Ashyn, as they have human appearance, not Singers.

It was but she was wrong:

Reveal hidden contents

ncmagic97

In Oathbringer, before the Battle of Thaylen City, Venli is able to see some of the Cognitive Shadows of the Fused waiting in the Cognitive Realm and mentions some are as large as buildings. Are thunderclasts actually a type of the Fused?

Brandon Sanderson

YouTube Spoiler Stream 4 (June 16, 2022)

edit: :ph34r:

I do wonder what exactly they are. Obviously they are some form of spren, being cognitive entities. We know that with certainty. But they way that Brandon and the books frame it seem like they are a very specific kind of Spren, one that is particularly large and twisted. Hope we get more in SA5. As they interest me greatly. 

14 hours ago, Firesong said:

I do wonder what exactly they are. Obviously they are some form of spren, being cognitive entities. We know that with certainty. But they way that Brandon and the books frame it seem like they are a very specific kind of Spren, one that is particularly large and twisted. Hope we get more in SA5. As they interest me greatly. 

Well we know that the Spren of stone on roshar are particularly self aware so maybe there a corrupt form of stone Spren.  

4 hours ago, bmcclure7 said:

Well we know that the Spren of stone on roshar are particularly self aware so maybe there a corrupt form of stone Spren.  

Possibly. 

SA5 Flashback Preview spoilers

Spoiler

We do see that the Shin are strongly centred around the idea of Stone Spren, so that does support the theory to an extent.