Dragon Steel 2023 Discussion

To all air sick low landers 

I am making this just to try and start general discussions Dragon Steel 2023, such as are you planing on attending, is this your first time at Dragonsteel or are you a returning fan, are you planing on cosplaying, what are you most looking forward to, and finally what are your predictions for the events, booths, and secrets this years conventions will hold?

I'm planning on attending! I haven't been to any convention before so I'm really excited. I'll probably not do a full cosplay but I have a crocheted rat with a pirate hat I might attach to my shoulder. :D

21 hours ago, Tesh said:

I'm planning on attending! I haven't been to any convention before so I'm really excited. I'll probably not do a full cosplay but I have a crocheted rat with a pirate hat I might attach to my shoulder. :D

That’s great. I am excited to see your cosplay, I am sure it will look great. One bit of free advice I learned the hard way last year. For the shoes on your cosplay, go for comfort first and looks second. My feet were nothing but blisters afterwards.

YES!!!!!!!!! I am making him a Szeth costume and I have already made myself a mistcloak and coat and I'm in the process of a Bridge four uniforn! For my birthday he made me an aluminum lined metal pouch and got me a vial of metals! so, yes we will be fully done up in cosplay!!!!!!!!

On 7/22/2023 at 9:36 AM, Veledsier said:

YES!!!!!!!!! I am making him a Szeth costume and I have already made myself a mistcloak and coat and I'm in the process of a Bridge four uniforn! For my birthday he made me an aluminum lined metal pouch and got me a vial of metals! so, yes we will be fully done up in cosplay!!!!!!!!

Is he going to commit and shave his head?

Hiiii hihihi. I’m going this year! I’ve never been to Dragonsteel or anything like this, I have no idea what to expect. Does anyone have tips or advice for what to expect, or a link to somewhere I can learn all that? 

thank you much :D 

1 hour ago, Edema Ruh said:

Hiiii hihihi. I’m going this year! I’ve never been to Dragonsteel or anything like this, I have no idea what to expect. Does anyone have tips or advice for what to expect, or a link to somewhere I can learn all that? 

thank you much :D 

Here is the link to the dragon steel website there is a lot of info there. I am also happy to share some tips on what to expect as well as some suggestions on what to bring. I am assuming this year is going to be a lot like last years so ill just describe that. The convention really had three main areas, one was a large open area with a bunch of booths featuring different creators; like authors, painters and much more. If you have ever been to a Job/club convention at a school gymnasium you have a ruff idea on what it was like, just scaled up. That area had Brandon Sanderson merch and books, finally it had game area with a bunch of free board games for any one to go and play. The second area was actual a bunch rooms that held different discussions and talks throughout the day. The rooms were spread out on three different floors. The last area was the room were Brandon gave His announcements and answers question and other stuff like that. There were also a scavenger hunt you could participate in and these fake mistborn coins that you could collect and tried in for prizes. 

Now to the actual advice, to be clear Dragon Steel 2022 was my first convention ever so I am far from an expert but here are something’s I learned form my mistakes. First wear comfortable shoes and bring a backpack, pure, or something like that. Whether you are cosplaying or not this is important, you will be doing a good amount of walking and standing around so you feet will take a betting if you shoes aren’t up for it. Something to put stuff in is also vital, they will give you tout bags with merch you buy but its easer to put it in something more comfortable, even if you are cosplaying you can always set the bag to the side for photos. Second for the financial side, have plan on how much you are willing to spend at the convention and try not to go over. There are some obvious purchases like the convention exclusive shirts and pins but there is a lot of other stuff and some of it is expensive. I went in without a budget just saying to my self I will  buy a little bit of what I thought was cool and things started to add up quickly. Third bring a water battle for sure There were water fountains but a water bottle is more convenient. As for food I would recommend snacks at the very least. They had food at the convention last year and the location is across the street form a mall with a food court. But again it’s easier and cheeper to bring you own stuff.

7 hours ago, Silver Phantom said:

Here is the link to the dragon steel website there is a lot of info there. I am also happy to share some tips on what to expect as well as some suggestions on what to bring. I am assuming this year is going to be a lot like last years so ill just describe that. The convention really had three main areas, one was a large open area with a bunch of booths featuring different creators; like authors, painters and much more. If you have ever been to a Job/club convention at a school gymnasium you have a ruff idea on what it was like, just scaled up. That area had Brandon Sanderson merch and books, finally it had game area with a bunch of free board games for any one to go and play. The second area was actual a bunch rooms that held different discussions and talks throughout the day. The rooms were spread out on three different floors. The last area was the room were Brandon gave His announcements and answers question and other stuff like that. There were also a scavenger hunt you could participate in and these fake mistborn coins that you could collect and tried in for prizes. 

Now to the actual advice, to be clear Dragon Steel 2022 was my first convention ever so I am far from an expert but here are something’s I learned form my mistakes. First wear comfortable shoes and bring a backpack, pure, or something like that. Whether you are cosplaying or not this is important, you will be doing a good amount of walking and standing around so you feet will take a betting if you shoes aren’t up for it. Something to put stuff in is also vital, they will give you tout bags with merch you buy but its easer to put it in something more comfortable, even if you are cosplaying you can always set the bag to the side for photos. Second for the financial side, have plan on how much you are willing to spend at the convention and try not to go over. There are some obvious purchases like the convention exclusive shirts and pins but there is a lot of other stuff and some of it is expensive. I went in without a budget just saying to my self I will  buy a little bit of what I thought was cool and things started to add up quickly. Third bring a water battle for sure There were water fountains but a water bottle is more convenient. As for food I would recommend snacks at the very least. They had food at the convention last year and the location is across the street form a mall with a food court. But again it’s easier and cheeper to bring you own stuff.

Thank you so much! That’s super helpful!!

Got my VIP ticket the second I could. Third year in a row! 

My current questions if I can get them asked at the convention and not during a live stream Q&A:

To Isaac - Any updates on Dark One Volume 2?

To Brandon & Dan - Between Apocalypse Guard and Dark One's novelization, which is more likely to be released first?

To Brandon - What can we do as fans to help you write more Secret Project books? 

Has Adamant been considered as a Mainframe project? I feel like with Dan and Janci (and Isaac), you've got a really good group of potential cowriters to work with on it someday.

11 hours ago, Lightweaver2 said:

I was wondering, is it worth it to get the VIP pass or should I just get the regular one?

The VIP badge includes, all the merch, early access to the main hall, a VIP lounge, and there is a VIP line to enter. Price wise, if you buy every swag bundle/merch on the dragonsteel website and a normal badge it is more then a VIP badge, but you might not want all of the different merch so you might not save. But all of this is moot because as of now the VIP tickets are sold out. Though you could still get one if someone cancels their order. 

On 8/9/2023 at 11:37 PM, Silver Phantom said:

The VIP badge includes, all the merch, early access to the main hall, a VIP lounge, and there is a VIP line to enter. Price wise, if you buy every swag bundle/merch on the dragonsteel website and a normal badge it is more then a VIP badge, but you might not want all of the different merch so you might not save. But all of this is moot because as of now the VIP tickets are sold out. Though you could still get one if someone cancels their order. 

Thanks!

Edit: just got my badge, hope to see you guys there.

Edited by Lightweaver2

• 1 month later...