How did you find out about the Cosmere?

I had been planning to read Mistborn, but after getting the very highest of praise for WoK from my SO, I read WoK as my first Sanderson novel. I poked around in the wiki during my read and found this small note about Hoid at the bottom of one of the pages. Felt like I uncovered some epic secret and I even looked around the room to make sure I was alone, haha! Cosmere achievement unlocked, I eventually found this place and lurked for a long time. I read more books and started having an uncontrollable urge to make fan art and here we are.

Heh… I saw Adonalsium/universal 16 concept/rudimentary realmatics in HoA and started to suspect something was up.

The AoL Ars Arcanum was what really started me guessing… (… three primary manifestations of Investiture on Scadrial… , … As compared to Sel, where all magics are form-based…, … Hemalurgy is of the greatest interest to others…, etc.). I already guessed that Sel was Elantris' world, and a couple of things in the Warbreaker and Mistborn annotations gave me more support. 

I thought that I was really onto something. Until I read Tor's WoK reread where they mention Ishikk's interlude as being "pure cosmere-building." And Galladon was there. On Roshar. ?!?!? So that led me to The Coppermind. And from there to the 17th Shard. 

I'd read Mistborn, Elantris, Warbreaker, and The Way of Kings. I was pretty psyched about that "Brandon Sanderson" fellow, so I took a look at the Coppermind wiki.

I saw a word which flabbergasted me. A word that seemed to have ties to the Stormlight Archive, yet was used as a sweeping term for entire planets.

One simple, compound word.

That word was "Shardworld."

I had read all four Mistborn novels, Elantris, Warbreaker, and the Way of Kings. I had noticed that some things seemed similar throughout, but I assumed it was just Brandon using the same methods/terms when writing. I had noticed Hoid was in both Elantris and Mistborn, but didn't think much of it. Then I read Words of Radiance. My brain did a bellyflop at the end. IS THAT WHAT I THINK IT IS?!?! DO I RECOGNIZE MY ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE CHARACTER FROM

WARBREAKER

?! I hopped onto the internet, and after going onto the Coppermind saw one word that changed my view of Sanderson's writings forever. COSMERE. I started reading wiki article after wiki article, then I read and reread every Cosmere novel I owned, and then bought more. Then I joined 17th Shard and learned even more.

Edited by Kal Dell

After reading Elantris I decided to have a look at all of Brandon's fantasy books, then I finished Mistborn but still didn't get the interconnection… (Stupid me) Until I began to read WoK, which is my first non-translated Cosmere book, I found Coppermind Wiki where I did the keyword search when meeting things I couldn't understand, then… BOOM! The Cosmere and a guy called Hoid! I was totally mind-blown by that and immediately made up my mind to become a dedicated Sanderfan =)

Man, it's hard to find clues in those translated copies because the translators and publishers are all different and some translators may even not know the existence of Cosmere, sigh! (It's a bit interesting that “Hoid” has been translated into three different names :D) We really need something like a Complete Guide to the Cosmere!

Edited by Botanica

• Chaos locked this topic