I was re-reading Elantris for the sixty-bajillianth time when I noticed that the god of Shu-Korath, Domi, is part of the name of the Shard Dominion. I've always thought that Jaddeth was a representation of Dominion, and that Domi was Devotion.

But after seeing that Domi was part of Dominion, I think that maybe the Elantrians were made by Dominion, as they are powerful enough to rule over an entire world, and were able to gain dominion over Arelon and were going to try to invade other countries, until Fjordell stopped them, but was destroyed in the process. 

Edited by Glashard

Beware of Duplicate Posts (there are two versions of this post). I've already reported them for you.

14 minutes ago, Glashard said:

I was re-reading Elantris for the sixty-bajillianth time when I noticed that the god of Shu-Korath, Domi, is part of the name of the Shard Dominion. I've always thought that Jaddeth was a representation of Dominion, and that Domi was Devotion.

But after seeing that Domi was part of Dominion, I think that maybe the Elantrians were made by Dominion, as they are powerful enough to rule over an entire world, and were able to gain dominion over Arelon and were going to try to invade other countries, until Fjordell stopped them, but was destroyed in the process. 

While it may be possible that Domi was inspired by Dominion (but more likely the Dor in general), you should note that Shu Keseg (Unity of Mind) and therefore Shu Dereth (Unity of Obedience) and Shu Korath (Unity of Love) are millenia younger than the Splintering of the Shards Devotion and Dominion. I doubt there is any direct connection there; except, possibly, the very loose "inspired by cultural memory and myth" (like Marvel's Thor Compared to the actual Norse Myths. . . )

Elantris Ch 14:

Spoiler

Keseg taught of unity. But what did he mean? Unity of mind, as my people assume? Unity of love, as your priests claim? Or is it the unity of obedience, as the Derethi believe?

Also, how much of the cosmere have you read? Because (spoilers for White Sand, Lost Metal, etc.):

Spoiler

There is evidence that an Avatar of Autonomy (like Trell on Scadrial) is assuming\has assumed\always was Jaddeth. If Autonomy seeded the myth long ago so that she could create an avatar for Jaddeth now (like Trell / Treligism); or if the Jaddeth Avatar has been building for the 300 yrs between the fall of the original Fjordell Empire and the events of Elantris is unclear. 

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG / Examples

2 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Beware of Duplicate Posts (there are two versions of this post). I've already reported them for you.

Thanks! I will beware:)

While it may be possible that Domi was inspired by Dominion, you should note that Shu Keseg (and therefore Shu Dereth and Shu Korath) are millenia younger than the Splintering of the Shards Devotion and Dominion. I doubt there is any direct connection there, except the very loose "inspired by cultural memory and myth" (like Marvel's Thor Compared to the actual Norse Myths. . . )

You're right! It probably was a distant memory of Dominion that Inspired Dereth to segment from Shu-Keseg to Shu-Dereth. 

Also, how much of the cosmere have you read? Because (spoilers for White Sand, Lost Metal, etc.):

I've read Elantris, Emporer's soul, WOK,WOR,OB, and am about halfway through Rhythm of war, White sand, Mistborn era one and two, and Tress

SPOILER TAG

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by Glashard

15 minutes ago, Glashard said:

Thanks! I will beware:)

You're right! It probably was a distant memory of Dominion that Inspired Dereth to segment from Shu-Keseg to Shu-Dereth. 

I've read Elantris, Emporer's soul, WOK,WOR,OB, and am about halfway through Rhythm of war, White sand, Mistborn era one and two, and Tress

Spoiler

I don't think that Jaddeth would be an avatar of Autonomy, because Autonomy is the shard of Agency and free choice, and making an empire kinda takes away other's free choice. I think that maybe the Dor is grooming a champion to take it up via Jaddeth and Domi, hence Domi sounding like dominion because they both make up the Dor.

Please spoiler tag the things referencing a non-Sel shard. (or we can ask a mod to move the thread to "Cosmere Discussion" - spoiler policy)

I mentioned evidence, not direct answers. Here's one of the WoBs:

Spoiler

strican

Within the religion, ambition is rewarded, but only if it aligns with the orders of the hierarchy. That sounds similar to the philosophy used in the Set, but replacing Jaddeth with Trell. Is Jaddeth an avatar of Autonomy?

Brandon Sanderson

*chuckles and points at screen in very satisfied way* RAFO. You're a very smart person.

It's [pronounced] "Yaddeth", by the way. That is also one of the Y-J's. ...

So, I will say this. Here's what I'll canonize. There is something happening, and the people there legitimately believe, and have reason to believe, that their god is going to return. And I have said before, many times, that Book 2 of Elantris begins with the return of their god. 'Cause they've said "God can't come back until everybody converts". But they've found a loophole. They're like "well, except those heretics in Elantris. And also that other little place, that tiny little region that's over in the mountains, where they talk about roses, they don't count either. Because they're, um, not actually part of the planet." Um, so. So that's something to look forward to, if I ever get around to writing Dakhor, is the return of Jaddeth, the god of [Shu-Dereth].

Also, if you have not yet finished White Sand, you may not realize: (WS Spoiler~ish | not directly story related)

Spoiler

that while Bavadin is "Autonomy" her Autonomous Avatars do not necessarily follow the same "intent" (Sand Lord's "religion" is not in line with "autonomy" at all; and her Shella avatar on Darkside is very much backing a continent-wide Dynasty empire. . . 

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

15 minutes ago, TheSurvivorofDeath said:

I think Domi is derived from Devotion. Aon Omi means love, doesn’t it? So the name comes from the aons rather than from the name of the shard.

The name is Aonic, but I think a WoB said somewhere that both Domi and Jaddeth take inspiration from both Devotion and Dominion, but that Domi focuses a more on the Devotion side of things and Jaddeth on Dominion.

Edited by Underwater_Worldhopper

5 hours ago, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

The name is Aonic, but I think a WoB said somewhere that both Domi and Jaddeth take inspiration from both Devotion and Dominion, but that Domi focuses a more on the Devotion side of things and Jaddeth on Dominion.

That would make sense