BookAngel Idea

Experience

20 minutes ago, Lego Mistborn said:

I would disagree. Sure if an explicit scene is coming you might be able to notice and skip, but how do you know how far to skip? And what if it comes up on you and you didn't notice? Or cuss words that pop up randomly? I think those make this project a valid idea.

You may be able to mitigate legal risk by making this a Calibre Plug-in. Calibre already supports heuristic processing, and similar plugins exist (example). If you are only providig a "filter" for somebody to apply to their own purchased property - that may change the legal ramifications. Your plug-in could, theoretically, just reach out to grab the "filter data when applied to an ebook in the library - launch the Calibre Converter - and using the tools and filters make a "<title>-edit" epub (or chosen format) version that has been "cleaned."

Also, you amy want to look at Sites like these that already have an extensive database of book content for self/family-censors:

Spoiler

BookCaveFilter.thumb.jpg.03e76581b7bc70cecddc699697e7baba.jpg

While I am significantly anti-censorship; I am much more pro-ownership. People should have the right to make content they have purchased fit their personal tastes and choices (which is why all of my ebooks are DRM stripped and Calibre managed so that I can change things I do not like - like the Table of Contents in Warbreaker - or these projects).

1 hour ago, Lego Mistborn said:

Lawyer! @Edema Ruh Can you use your debate research skills to find out whether blurring text would be a copyright infringement. We'll want to look at U.S. law, don't worry about the states or other nations' laws yet.

I think I’m the least knowledgeable person here, but I absolutely can. Life did just get crazy so I might need like a week, but it’ll happen eventually.

1 hour ago, Treamayne said:

You may be able to mitigate legal risk by making this a Calibre Plug-in. Calibre already supports heuristic processing, and similar plugins exist (example). If you are only providig a "filter" for somebody to apply to their own purchased property - that may change the legal ramifications. Your plug-in could, theoretically, just reach out to grab the "filter data when applied to an ebook in the library - launch the Calibre Converter - and using the tools and filters make a "<title>-edit" epub (or chosen format) version that has been "cleaned."

Also, you amy want to look at Sites like these that already have an extensive database of book content for self/family-censors:

Hide contents

BookCaveFilter.thumb.jpg.03e76581b7bc70cecddc699697e7baba.jpg

While I am significantly anti-censorship; I am much more pro-ownership. People should have the right to make content they have purchased fit their personal tastes and choices (which is why all of my ebooks are DRM stripped and Calibre managed so that I can change things I do not like - like the Table of Contents in Warbreaker - or these projects).

But do those websites actually change the book, or just tell you what is in it? I know common sense media is very detailed about telling what it includes, but I'm pretty sure that's all they do?

On 8/17/2023 at 9:44 AM, Experience said:

But do those websites actually change the book, or just tell you what is in it? I know common sense media is very detailed about telling what it includes, but I'm pretty sure that's all they do?

Correct, the references were in regards to the part of the discussion on which topics are in which books (since it was mentioned previously about who would read and annotate areas that may want filters). At the most basic (and easily implemented level) if a book is known to have profanity - the tool (assuming an ebook solution, and assuming a conversion process that edits-out or changes the content for personal copies) would use a search-replace (probably heuristic or regex to get word variants) to "filter" that content.

The rest of the utility on accessing the content of those sites would be, for example, looking at the review of <Book> and seeing what content it has already been flagged as having. You might then query the Entertainment section (of this forum) to see if anybody has read that book and is willing to tell you chapter/page/section numbers that contain the content to be filtered (maybe even keywords to set a before-and-after filter ends). Alternatively, if the project were to become large enough, you might be able to ask one or more of those companies if an API can be used to access their database directly to "flag" the filterable content for those books. 

Mostly they were just examples to aid in brainstorming possible courses of action (COA)s and solutions. 

For example, if the question was "what content might need filters in the J. D. Robb ". . . In Death" series;" I would be able to say that I have read all the entire series (novels and novellas) and can attest to which topics might meet the filter requirements.

Note: (Spoilered for content)

Spoiler

Depending on how strict a person's personal preference is, this series should probably be avoided. Deeper than the language (which has both normal and fantasy-replacement slang and slurs) or the police-procedural level of violence. As a homocide detective, the damage done to victims can be rather thoroughly described - even if the "on-screen" violence can sometimes be very "Hollywood." Deeper even than that is the backstory of the main characters, which can be very upsetting for many readers (details only in PM if somebody wants spoiler-level detail on the kind of content in the backstories)

Hope that helps

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, Littlefish2967 said:

Did this ever get anywhere? I really want it to be a thing, and would be happy to pitch in to help. The purpose of such a website is because I don't want to read the scenes that need to be taken out. Quite the conundrum. And most AI platforms won't edit something if its explicit content. I think. 

We never really got far. I just don't have the know how for the necessary coding. 

• 5 months later...

Following this topic. I'd be willing to download and pay for a subscription for a service like this. It would be nice to take the few scenes/words that are in something and either switch the word with an adjective that isn't a curse word or just delete NSFW type scenes from a book altogether. 

Following topic! I'd be interested in buying a subscription/downloading an ebook app for my family. It would be great if it had the capabilities of removing/ replacing certain content from ebooks with different adjective / less NSFW type stuff. It most cases, it's not needed in the book at all to be able to tell the story. If it is needed...this isn't the service for you anyways because you're reading topics that you clearly want that kind of stuff. 

• 4 months later...

Interesting. Hadn't seen this before. I've thought about how to do something like this for a while, but unfortunately it's very difficult to do without someone personally going through and reading the before and after. 

I don't know much of the legalese, but I've relatively recently learned Python and a bit of AI coding with NLPs, though nothing too extensive. I can definitely say that modifying audio is waaay more challenging than editing text. For anyone that has ever tried to use voice commands on their phone, it's pretty obvious that we aren't at 100% speech recognition. False positives for audio recognition could render huge portions of books unintelligible. What if the heroes in the book decide to head off to Hoover Dam?

Beyond that, content filtering sounds simple enough, but in practice it can be extremely difficult because of how nuanced language is. Innuendo is incredibly difficult to identify for AI because the words themselves are benign - unless used in that specific phrasing. Wayne for example would have several lines that would totally fly under the radar but would make Marasi blush. What further complicates the situation are words that are often used explicitly but also non-explicitly can have a lot of false positives. This isn't meant to be innuendo, but I don't have better examples:

Spoiler

Sentences that may be flagged depending on how you design your filtering system:

• John stood at the grill, barbecuing the hotdogs and chicken breasts.
  • The pirates hauled the treasure chest from the bottom of the ocean.
  • The janitorial crew stripped the old wax off of the floor down to the bare tile before preparing to reapply the sealant.
  • "Television was better in the old days, none of this sleaze," grumbled Grandpa. "We used to watch Perry Mason and Dick Van Dyke and that was good enough for us." 

If you don't see anything possibly wrong with those sentences, there isn't meant to be anything wrong with them. AI may flag it based on keyword anyway.

Beyond this, it can be difficult based on subject matter. A scientific article on mating habits of the red herring could very well get flagged. An article or section trying to raise awareness and speak out against date rape likely would get flagged even though the purpose of such an article is to raise morality.

Even after false positives, it can be very difficult to create filters for content that would/should be filtered, but is plot relevant. For more extreme cases where replacing keywords won't reduce the nature of the subject matter, someone might have to summarize the scene and compare it with the original to make sure that minimal content is lost for comprehension. Trusting the AI to do that is very risky.

Here's a comic that might illustrate why altering language and retaining comprehension can be difficult.