Cosmere Cookbook

So I'm sure this has come up before. But I can't find much more than the few recipes Tor came out with. And I've really gotten into cooking recently. So I thought. Wouldn't it be fun if we actually made a Cosmere Cookbook? I was just wondering how many people would be interested in that? 

Things needed to make it happen would include people to make recipes, people to try out recipes, art(?), ect.

Okay all foods that show up on the coppermind:

Weed soup, Garha, Ketathum, Kathari, Mudbeer, Tinkfan, Garam, Adolis, RaiDomo Mai, Baywrap, Laget, Tektees, Honu, Chouta, Flangria, Lazbo, Kuma, Shiki, Limm, Kurdi, Akokian pudding, ZaiDon, Ingo, Revertiss, Amosztha, Kdisln, Clavendah, Ruby Bench, Pectin-Ade, Vif Sparkle Tonic, Udal nuts, Bittermoss, Pitchfruit, Whiteberry, Logshine, Kulunut, Zapriel tea, and Pop'ems.

And would it be better to sort the cookbook like desserts, salads, entrees, ect. or by planet?

Okay, Chouta.

The flatbread used in chouta is very thick. The meat often used in the warcamps is flangria (a soulcast meat), which is mixed with ground lavis, formed into small balls, battered and fried. The meatballs are then stuffed into the fried bread and covered with a generous amount of dark gravy. The chouta stands in Dalinar's warcamp also sell a variety that is stuffed with fried cremling claws instead of meatballs, and there may be other variations. Chouta is flavorful, but not spicy.

So things to include:

• Thick flatbread
  • Fried meatballs (not sure what would be the equivalent of lavis).
  • Dark gravy.
  • Cremling claws (crab claws?) 

So flatbread is pretty simple to make. Mostly just flour. Meatballs...meat and some other stuff, but shouldn't be that hard to do either. Never had fried meatballs though i don't think. Gravy shouldn't be that hard to figure out. Not sure how you would use crab claws in an appetizing and safe way to get the crunch but not cut your mouth.

I'll have to think on it. I might try something this week and see how it turns out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2023 at 9:42 AM, Experience said:

Okay, I'm going to try to make it this week, I'll post how it goes once I do.

Is this thread still active?

I would be willing to muck out some recipes. 

On 8/15/2023 at 8:39 AM, Ancient Elantrian said:

I’m pretty sure Brandon said that Lavis was like barley.

SmartSelect_20230830_211524_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e3904e0b81abe5bf17b0f70462ec17a5.jpg

So if lavis is like corn then all bread products would be corn based, so the two big corn based flatbreads are makki ki roti and tortillas.  

Soulcast meat is a question though. Brands of meat substitute like beyond beef might be the closest we can get. A part of me wants to try using spam though. 

As for cremling claws, softshell crabs can be eaten shell and all and retain their crunch. They are often fried as well. 

Softshell crab irl is expensive tho. The effect could potentially be replicated by battering and frying crab claw meat. 

The dark flavorful gravy. Traditional brown gravies are made of beefstock, which isnt a thing, but mushrooms make a pretty good dark stock and fungus has been mentioned.

So. Beyond beef meatballs with corn, fried or crab claws fried. 

Wrapped in a corn based flatbread, with a mushroom stock gravy is what Ive arrived to. 

To be honest I wanted to see if anyone had a solid recipe for it because reading about it is making me hungry. 

Ill investigate this and then move on to 10 kinds of pancakes. 

10 minutes ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

If I could make up cook stuff I would. All I can really do is follow recipes XD 

That's what I usually do, but the only way we're gonna make this cookbook is through a lot of bad tasting recipes :P

What does rosharan icecream involve? Isnt their milk from sows?

42 minutes ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

Seriously. I just need my mom to give me access to her kitchen… 

If we ever want to make rosharan ice cream, I have a soft-serve ice cream maker, I can improvise pretty well with that.

1 hour ago, Experience said:

I have gotten ingredients and plan on trying to make it this week, so we'll see how it turns out.

Pancakes for each kingdom on Roshar let's go :P

Shall we split the load and each test different variants so we can compile more data?

7 hours ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

It was theoretical. This would be made up, not based on real food from the books. 

Yes, of course but .... What flavor would it be and what would you use to make it? (Not the softserve machine but the ingredients) 

Oooh off topic have you ever made sorbet in your machine? 

6 hours ago, Experience said:

Probably.

It's either that or I just keep trying it until my mom likes it :lol:

I think my lot would have something to say about having experimental chouta every night. 

I think flatbread would be the best starting place. 

So regarding flatbreads, this thread has a whole discussion on it. 

So if we continue forth the two grains largely  available are. 

Lavis= corn

And tallew = rice

So one of those two would need to be the basis. 

Thus, lets pick a few recipes and each try them then discuss which one we like the best. 

we also definitely need a recipe for hraggish weed soup, because I just reread elantris and everytime someone complains about a food, it's hraggish weed soup. Kiin makes it once and kaise hates it, Eventeo doesn't like it, i'm pretty sure Iadon had a thing where he said he disliked it.

For the pancakes, do we got the different things that are in each one?

cuz pancakes are fairly simple regularly so we could probably do it. 

Sorry random question about grain. Do the rockbuds have tallew inside?

or do they have lavis?

lavis right?

so pancakes would be made of corn flour?

1 hour ago, Evie said:

So if we continue forth the two grains largely  available are. 

Lavis= corn

And tallew = rice

So one of those two would need to be the basis. 

Thus, lets pick a few recipes and each try them then discuss which one we like the best. 

Yeah, this time I just got pita bread, but the next time I'll probably just make the bread myself to make it more correct.

44 minutes ago, The stormfather said:

we also definitely need a recipe for hraggish weed soup, because I just reread elantris and everytime someone complains about a food, it's hraggish weed soup. Kiin makes it once and kaise hates it, Eventeo doesn't like it, i'm pretty sure Iadon had a thing where he said he disliked it.

For the pancakes, do we got the different things that are in each one?

cuz pancakes are fairly simple regularly so we could probably do it. 

Sorry random question about grain. Do the rockbuds have tallew inside?

or do they have lavis?

lavis right?

so pancakes would be made of corn flour?

Lavis is rockbuds. Bsand says the polyps are like corn. Tallew is it's own crop. Sebarial had some fields near the warcamps, which could make it a really good option. 

Both are grains available to the warcamps. 

Geeeez weed soup. I havnt read elantris in yeeeears. 

Weed soup makes me think of a few things. Based in the snippits in the wiki its

A) nasty

B )  not everyone can prepare it

C) good for weightloss. 

Cabbage soup has been used to lose weight forever, but anyone can make it and I happen to love it. 

Collard green soup some people hate (i love), but not alot of people know how to cook it properly anymore but its definitely not for weightloss if you are making it properly. 

Its probably most similar to "wild greens" in a soup form. 

My great grandmother and grandmother used to cook wild greens. It was a mix of foraged greens and they ate it alot during the great depression. The problem is, its very difficult to make. You had to be able to identify the right plants and even then the greens used could poison you if they werent prepared correctly. 

My mother recalls it being nasty. Ive never actually had the version with the  poisonous weeds, but mom says its nasty. 

But we have, nasty, not everyone can prepare it and good for weightloss? I guess? Who knows. It was a famine recipe. 

I have cooked wild greens with less dangerous plants, but never made it into a soup and always included things like spices and bacon etc, so it was pretty tasty. 

I used Dandelion leaves, wood sorrel, clover, plantain, wild onion because they are easy to identify. Several of them need to be boiled for a while or they will give you a stomach ache, but nothing that will kill you. The sorrel has an acidity lemony flavor and the wild onion has....well, the wild onion flavor. 

So if you boiled the dandelions, clover and plantain and whatever else, dumped the water, then boiled them again in clean water with sorrel and wild onions, then strain and eat. To make it a soup I guess you would just keep the water from the second boiling. 

So that would give you a watery, bitter, acidic, oniony soup. 

Thus:

A) a nasty soup. As said above, without anything added you would get a watery, bitter, acidic oniony soup. 

B ) a soup not everyone can make. You need basic foraging skills and to know to boil it multiple times

B) good for weightloss. Its very fiberous but with very few calories. Basically it will keep you full, which sounds pretty good for weighloss to me. 

So here is my loose recipe for wild green soup without anything delicious added into it. 

Dont try to make this unless you can identify the plants listed. 

Gather as much of each of the following ad can be found: 

Dandelion leaves the younger the better, Plantain leaves, the younger the better, Wood sorrel leaves, clover leaves and flowers if blooming, and wild onion. 

Thoroughly clean all.  Parboil dandelion leaves, plantain and clover until slightly soft. Do not overcook. Strain, rinse and set aside. 

Remove the cloves from the wild onion and chop finely, and sautee in a bit of oil. When the cloves just begin to brown, add in the strained plantains, clover and dandelions and sautee. 

Add to this a few cups of water, depending on how much you foraged and how watery you want your soup. Add in wood sorrel. 

Bring to a boil, then immediately set to a simmer. 

Serve with a side of nothing and get over it. 

Wow!

I bet I could try to make one kind with corn flour. One of them was savory with seeds in it right? 

I could maybe put the insides of sunflower seeds and pine nuts in it or something.

One of them if I remember right had a sugary center. I don't know how to do that with pancakes. maybe two batters and you pour one into the middle?

Or make a tiny pancake that's super sugary and surround it with regular pancake?

I don't know.

Edit but not really since i realized this right before I posted :

1. Tuk-cake, a tasty pancake eaten for prosperity in the year to come[4]
  2. a salty pancake with chopped-up vegetables[6]
  3. a sweet-tasting pancake[6]
  4. an airy, fluffy pancake served with a dipping sauce[6]
  5. a dense pancake with salty, sticky paste in the center[7]
  6. a pancake covered in small, crunchy seeds[7]
  7. a pancake with sugar in the center (Lift's favorite)[7][12]
  8. an unknown relatively tasty pancake[7]
  9. a pancake with a thick, mealy texture[11]

List of pancakes.

17 minutes ago, Experience said:

Yeah, this time I just got pita bread, but the next time I'll probably just make the bread myself to make it more correct.

Ive actually got some gluten free flatbread dough in the fridge I made the other day. Its made from rice flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cornstarch, potato starch, yeast, and olive oil. Thats what got me trying to see if anyone had a chouta recipe. 

Its a bit too complicated for warcamp streetfood though. 

What are your going to use for the soulcast meat? 

5 minutes ago, The stormfather said:
  • Tuk-cake, a tasty pancake eaten for prosperity in the year to come[4]
  • a salty pancake with chopped-up vegetables[6]
  • a sweet-tasting pancake[6]
  • an airy, fluffy pancake served with a dipping sauce[6]
  • a dense pancake with salty, sticky paste in the center[7]
  • a pancake covered in small, crunchy seeds[7]
  • a pancake with sugar in the center (Lift's favorite)[7][12]
  • an unknown relatively tasty pancake[7]
  • a pancake with a thick, mealy texture[11]

Most of those shouldn't be that hard to make, as you would just add a couple of ingredients for each one.

3 minutes ago, Evie said:

Ive actually got some gluten free flatbread dough in the fridge I made the other day. Its made from rice flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cornstarch, potato starch, yeast, and olive oil. Thats what got me trying to see if anyone had a chouta recipe. 

Its a bit too complicated for warcamp streetfood though. 

What are your going to use for the soulcast meat? 

I don't remember which meat I got lol

I'll let you know once I find my makeshift recipe.

Edit: Oh yeah I'm making homemade fried meatballs, I remember now.

Edited by Experience
Meatballs