Soul Stamping via the Metallic Arts.

Atlas333

We know that certain things in the cosmere can be accomplished by several magic systems (such as A-Electrum and aviars both allowing you to see your immediate future), and I think there may be a way to soul forge without using stamps.

First, you need to be a A-Gold and F-Aluminum twinborn. Then when you burn gold, it's said to be a very disorienting experience because you not only see your alternate lives but you even think their thoughts. It might be a bit of a stretch to some, but to me, it sounds like, for a moment, you are your alternate lives. This means that you can theoretically store your identity while burning gold. You might need a different metal mind for each identity, kind of like you do for tin, but that's an easy problem to solve.

Then if you're ever in a situation where you need the skills or abilities of your alternate life, you can tap that memory and essentially use an essence mark on yourself to access that skill. It's not quite the same as an essence mark because none of your physical attribute change, but it's fairly close, in my opinion. It's also limited to only two alternates, but it's probably easier to do than create an essence mark. 

So what do you guys think? Could this combo work? 

Also, to make the power less niche do you think storing your identity would grant access to different alternate lives? This would add to the skills this person could draw on, but I'm not sure if it would work that way. Or would storing identity do other weird things to your gold shadows?

1 hour ago, Atlas333 said:

Hmm, what an interesting theory! Still a lot of uncertainty around the Spiritual metals, but this does seem somewhat plausible. Wouldn't be nearly as effective as an Essence Mark, as those require a ton of research, false memories and exact stamps to work. I could see a Twinborn 'locking' a specific goldshadow that you could access again (as goldshadows change depending on your current situation).

I don't know about tapping your own 'memory' though; I feel that's more of a copper thing. You could maybe tap that other version of you for perspective on a given situation though.

Regarding storing Identity, we really haven't seen what that looks like in terms of the Ferring themselves. I don't think it would give you access to alternative lives though; when you fill an aluminummind, you're blanking your Identity, not replacing it with another. You would be much easier to Forge though.

8 hours ago, Atlas333 said:

It's also limited to only two alternates,

Why do you say two alternates - you only see one Gold Shadow when burning gold. Discussed in more detail here and here.

6 hours ago, Werewolff Studios said:

when you fill an aluminummind, you're blanking your Identity

I think what the OP was saying was that filling an aluminum mind stores Identity, and they sumise that while burning gold you actually have two identities (yours and the Gold Shadow's) so you would instead store the gold shadow's identity instead of your normal one.

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

9 hours ago, Atlas333 said:

We know that certain things in the cosmere can be accomplished by several magic systems (such as A-Electrum and aviars both allowing you to see your immediate future), and I think there may be a way to soul forge without using stamps.

First, you need to be a A-Gold and F-Aluminum twinborn. Then when you burn gold, it's said to be a very disorienting experience because you not only see your alternate lives but you even think their thoughts. It might be a bit of a stretch to some, but to me, it sounds like, for a moment, you are your alternate lives. This means that you can theoretically store your identity while burning gold. You might need a different metal mind for each identity, kind of like you do for tin, but that's an easy problem to solve.

Then if you're ever in a situation where you need the skills or abilities of your alternate life, you can tap that memory and essentially use an essence mark on yourself to access that skill. It's not quite the same as an essence mark because none of your physical attribute change, but it's fairly close, in my opinion. It's also limited to only two alternates, but it's probably easier to do than create an essence mark. 

So what do you guys think? Could this combo work? 

Also, to make the power less niche do you think storing your identity would grant access to different alternate lives? This would add to the skills this person could draw on, but I'm not sure if it would work that way. Or would storing identity do other weird things to your gold shadows?

Interesting, it might be possible to mentally become that gold-shadow person, but not physically - you would likely need F-gold to heal your body to that state. F-copper stores memories, not skills (while some skills are memory based, not everything is). But I think you're onto something, you might be able to do something with that, that will at least resemble soulstamps.

Storing identity in my opinion would maybe expand the range of alternate “you” you could encounter, you may be able to reach those very unlikely scenarios or something like that, because you're blank now and it's easier to connect to those more different, distant versions of you. It's really hard to say.

On 8/15/2023 at 5:14 AM, Treamayne said:

Why do you say two alternates - you only see one Gold Shadow when burning gold. Discussed in more detail here and here.

Interesting, I'd always just assumed it was two. I could definitely see flaring gold doing something interesting, considering flaring malatium allowed Kelsier to see more, but that didn't really seem like a new alternate but rather more details about the first one. 

On 8/15/2023 at 6:13 AM, alder24 said:

Interesting, it might be possible to mentally become that gold-shadow person, but not physically - you would likely need F-gold to heal your body to that state. F-copper stores memories, not skills (while some skills are memory based, not everything is). But I think you're onto something, you might be able to do something with that, that will at least resemble soulstamps.

Yeah, so it's definitely less useful than an essence mark. Also, I definitely considered copper instead of aluminum for storing, but kind of like you said, my logic was that it would store memories, not skills. I also felt like aluminum fit more because identity has a lot to do with soul stamping.