Could Nightblood/other metals become god metals?

The Sibling

Question

7 answers to this question

1 minute ago, The Sibling said:

If Nightblood absorbed enough of Edgli's investiture would it become Edgli's god metal? Is it possible to create god metals by infusing metal with investiture?

While I dislike definitives, I would give this a 99.9% no. By definition a "godmetal" is the investiture of a shard in physical form in the physical realm. "Harmonium" has two shards from the same vessel and is distinctly unstable. No matter how much of Endowmment's Investiture Nightblood might consume; they would be, at best, an alloy of carbon, Iron (steel), Endowment, Ruin, Honor and any other flavors he has ingested over time. Even that is doubtful since we don't by which mechanism some investiture is retained and other investiture is released as "black smoke" (corrupted investiture).

15 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

While I dislike definitives, I would give this a 99.9% no. By definition a "godmetal" is the investiture of a shard in physical form in the physical realm. "Harmonium" has two shards from the same vessel and is distinctly unstable. No matter how much of Endowmment's Investiture Nightblood might consume; they would be, at best, an alloy of carbon, Iron (steel), Endowment, Ruin, Honor and any other flavors he has ingested over time. Even that is doubtful since we don't by which mechanism some investiture is retained and other investiture is released as "black smoke" (corrupted investiture).

Brandon has said you could think of what Nightblood is as a God Metal. They are definitely not normal steel anymore after taking in as much Investiture as they did. But are they Edgli's? Probably not. 

On 8/15/2023 at 9:23 PM, Firesong said:

Brandon has said you could think of what Nightblood is as a God Metal. They are definitely not normal steel anymore after taking in as much Investiture as they did. But are they Edgli's? Probably not. 

WoB?

Edited by Treamayne

1 minute ago, Treamayne said:

WoB?

Kael_the_Adventurer

Did Nightblood's Awakening transform it into a God Metal?

Brandon Sanderson

*hesitant* Yes, you could say that.

Adam Horne

Was that a permanent change, or was that just while...

Brandon Sanderson

You can argue that Nightblood is a God Metal. Is he? You could argue otherwise as well. How about that?

My two pieces of salt is their are god metals and their are God Metals, I think any really invested metal could be god metal, but a distinction between artificial and natural HIMs (Heavily Invested Metal) should probably be made. Iron that is remade into something like a godmetal is different from the natural stuff.

I think the biggest distinction is that there would have to be SO MUCH investiture in the steel to change it's Axi into pure investiture, AKA Edglium.

I think at a point yes, with enough investiture, but the rate that investiture leaves nightblood is quite high, and we don;t even know if nightblood can hold that much. Someone incredibly invested, like maybe Susebron, could pour investiture into it quickly enough that the Axi begin to eject the steel and reform to be edglium or some steel-edglium-nighblood alloy, but I think at this point, nightblood is not considered a god metal, but a peice of metal with a ton of investiture dumped on it.

Also, to make a sort of comparison : When holding stormlight, you yourself are not becoming more invested.  You are holding the investiture. We have no confirmation that putting a breath in a object makes that thing more invested, or rather gives it the breath to hold. some breaths in nightblood would invest it's spirit and make it sapient and allow it to talk, but others it could just be holding on to as extra food for later.