Can Kelsier be killed by a silver sword?

AustereGodOfColors!

Question

4 answers to this question

11 hours ago, AustereGodOfColors! said:

Or trapped in a silver box? Just finishing up the last of the Cosmere, and getting to the more obscure stories 

Trapped in a silver box, I doubt it (most likely it would kill him), but he likely can be trapped in an aluminum box. Silver has the property of killing/destroying investiture, and Shades from Threnody are Cognitive Shadows, just like Kelsier is. I bet it would kill him.

Spoiler

Argent

It seems there is a special interaction between silver and investiture, in at least certain places in the Cosmere. We've seen how silver interacts with aethers, and we've seen over on Threnody. So that makes silver the second really really special metal to interact with investiture. Is the plan now to have aluminum block investiture, and silver destroy investiture?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, that's the way I'm going with it. To make a distinction between them, that's where we're going.

Argent

But silver is still non-allomantic. No silvereyes.

Brandon Sanderson

No, non-allomantic, yup. No silvereyes. This is my nod towards silvereye-ness, and yeah, there we go.

Argent

So would that [aluminum?] be effective against spren, just like silver?

Brandon Sanderson

Well, you'll have to find out. RAFO!

Footnote: Argent tried.
Shardcast Interview (July 30, 2023)

Spoiler

danimalod

I just read Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell and loved it. How did the first shade come to be? Are there shades in other worlds? Do shades have bones?

Brandon Sanderson

Shades are what we call "Cognitive Shadows" in the cosmere. They're basically "spren" or "[seons]" created from human souls. (Where Investiture--or magical power--keeps a consciousness alive after it has lost its Physical connection.) Yes, shades all once had bodies.

Think of them like petrified souls, where instead of stone replacing the tissue of a corpse, magical power replaced the parts of a soul that connect that soul to the Three Realms.

Worldbuilders AMA (Dec. 4, 2015)

Spoiler

Ace Heat

Would it be possible to use an aluminum spike to permanently kill a spren?

Brandon Sanderson

No, that's not gonna work. Silver, on the other hand, there's some possibility.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 4 (June 16, 2022)

5 hours ago, alder24 said:

Trapped in a silver box, I doubt it (most likely it would kill him), but he likely can be trapped in an aluminum box. Silver has the property of killing/destroying investiture, and Shades from Threnody are Cognitive Shadows, just like Kelsier is. I bet it would kill him.

Reveal hidden contents

Argent

It seems there is a special interaction between silver and investiture, in at least certain places in the Cosmere. We've seen how silver interacts with aethers, and we've seen over on Threnody. So that makes silver the second really really special metal to interact with investiture. Is the plan now to have aluminum block investiture, and silver destroy investiture?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, that's the way I'm going with it. To make a distinction between them, that's where we're going.

Argent

Brandon Sanderson

No, non-allomantic, yup. No silvereyes. This is my nod towards silvereye-ness, and yeah, there we go.

Argent

Brandon Sanderson

Reveal hidden contents

danimalod

I just read Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell and loved it. How did the first shade come to be? Are there shades in other worlds? Do shades have bones?

Brandon Sanderson

Shades are what we call "Cognitive Shadows" in the cosmere. They're basically "spren" or "[seons]" created from human souls. (Where Investiture--or magical power--keeps a consciousness alive after it has lost its Physical connection.) Yes, shades all once had bodies.

Think of them like petrified souls, where instead of stone replacing the tissue of a corpse, magical power replaced the parts of a soul that connect that soul to the Three Realms.

Reveal hidden contents

Ace Heat

Brandon Sanderson

Small correction, Silver is more about disruption than destruction, Investiture cannot truly be destroyed. What it does is heavily disrupts Investiture in a way that is harmful to Invested entities. Basically, it is destructive to Invested Entities, not to the Investiture itself. If it was the Investiture itself, you would be seeing massive explosions whenever you use silver. You get what I mean?

But yeah, he wouldn't be able to be safely sealed in a silver box. But probably could be in an aluminum one, like Nergaoul was sealed in (after sealing him in a polestone). 

Edited by Firesong

On 8/17/2023 at 8:33 AM, alder24 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Argent

Brandon Sanderson

Argent

Brandon Sanderson

Argent

Brandon Sanderson

Reveal hidden contents

danimalod

Brandon Sanderson

Reveal hidden contents

Ace Heat

Brandon Sanderson

I don't know about the box thing, wasn't silence's grandma in a silver lined box? (It's been a while since I read SFSitFoH so I might be misremembering)

39 minutes ago, Argenti said:

I don't know about the box thing, wasn't silence's grandma in a silver lined box? (It's been a while since I read SFSitFoH so I might be misremembering)

Doesn't mention the entire cabinet - just that the door was silver lined - but not the threshold, which was why she could exit when the door was opened.