Theory: Hoid is the Villain!

Turos

I don't know if I seriously believe that Hoid is evil, though it would be a nice twist.

I have a feeling he's being chased by Seventeenth Shard because he's trying to actually change things. They're trying to go to all these worlds and study them but not to change them and they want a monopoly on worldhopping. Therefore, Hoid, a non-Seventeenth Sharder who's definitely not running a non-intervention policy, is someone they'd rather not have around.

Wait a second. Rebelious individual trying to change things against the will of a group who wants to just sit back and observe? Hoid is the new Sazed!

actually Sazed was the new Hoid, as Hoid predates Sazed. As of AoL Sazed's attitudes seem more in line with the Seventeenth Shard and there apparent non-intervention policy though.

Oh and just because Hoid is the bad guy (if he is) doesn't mean Odium's the good guy, they could both be bad and just having an Evil vs. Evil fight.

Edited by CrazyRioter

If Hoid is evil, I think would be unintentional. If you look at what we know of Hoid, he seems to give our heroes the information they need at the right moments. Look at how he treats Renarin. He encourages him to use his strengths rather than trying to be a warrior like his dad and big brother. Also, look at his scene with Kaladin, I think that the guidance given is on a well-to-do level, and anything evil is in consequence of trying to help.

If Hoid is evil, I think would be unintentional. If you look at what we know of Hoid, he seems to give our heroes the information they need at the right moments. Look at how he treats Renarin. He encourages him to use his strengths rather than trying to be a warrior like his dad and big brother. Also, look at his scene with Kaladin, I think that the guidance given is on a well-to-do level, and anything evil is in consequence of trying to help.

Maybe Hoid is Odium?

The one true question i have is, did the Lord ruler and Sazed ever meet Hoid? That would be an interesting Tea party.

Vin Hoid Rashek Sazed Kelsier TenSoon and Darth Vader.

He was probably on Scadrial to defeat Ruin.

And acquire most of the beads of lerasium that had crystallised around the Well of Ascension. Remember in one of the drafts how it was his footprints that lead Vin and Eland to the Well?

There was no reason for the Lord Ruler to leave the encasements for the Lerasium beads for a millennium without tidying them up. So I have to assume it crystallised more and Hoid took all but one.

Edited by Dahak

Try taking a fresh (not frozen, fresh) broccoli and boiling it just for a few minutes, then eating it woith some dip (garlic, mmm...). It tastes very good. And eat just the flowers, the bigger stems(?) have hard, inedible skin. Or peel them.

Sorry for the offtopic, but you were off the topic already. :D

As for Hoid, I agree that he tries to create one person capable of nearly all kinds of magic, therefore capable of taking all the Shards. And he likes broccoli, that's for sure.

BTW maybe that's how the whole Shard thing began – people were trying to take the power which is good, because it would work better with a person attached, but they were too many of them and everyone wanted it, so they shattered it. And Hoid tries to do it as it was originally planed (maybe it was his plan, or his mentor's?) – to gather them all in one person. I'm not sure if he intends to be that person.

I don't know if Hoid will be the one to gather all the Shard powers into one person. Perhaps Honor will be responsible, binding seems to be his primary gig. I like the idea of the reformed Knights Radiant gallivanting about the Cosmere, collecting powers from the various shards, and then finally facing down Odium's champion, who holds the power of his shard, for an epic battle to the death.

Alternatively, Odium could gain influence/power over some of the shards with "bad" intents, like Domination, or Ruin (wonder how Sazed will react to that) and you could have an 8 on 8 Shardic throwdown of good vs. evil.

Ha ha!

Would be sweet, but technically hate could be described as not-evil, just what you do with it determines if you are evil, though it definitely points you toward that direction.

Ruin is far from evil. To make a forest stronger, let it burn a bit and the ashes of old, scraggly trees will make a nutrient-rich soil for younger, stronger trees. Wash, rinse, repeat.

One could also say Preservation is not good. By refusing to let things go all the time, you dam up progress. They key is the "all the time" part for every intent, in my opinion. As parts of the greater whole that was Adonalsium, the power of creation, or 'god' as you might say, each intent, shard, is an important balancing and empowering part of the entire masterpiece. If you have them all mastered, you are doing good, with access to wisdom. While missing a couple pieces doesn't destroy the beauty of what's left completely, having only one piece is too narrow-minded for its own good.

Even for Honor, which I admit is my favorite shard so far and probably will be after all are revealed.

Now, about those unrevealed shards...

Here are some guesses of mine! :lol:

-We know: Preservation, Ruin, Honor, Cultivation, Odium and Endowment.

-It seems Devotion is another, and I thought Dominion was confirmed, though I'm not certain.

-That makes 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8... missing 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Here goes:

-Mercy

-Justice/Consequence

-Knowledge

Hmm, that's all I got.

I dont know, i would say ruin, on its own, would very much be considered evil. Destruction for the sake of destruction seems like a pretty evil concept. Now when it's tempered by other intentions, it's very much so a good thing. After all, ruin's intent was to wipe out everything, not wipe it out, let it regrow, repeat. Without some sort of checks and balances system, I would very much so side with ruin being evil.

Now, as far as Hoid, I'm pretty sure Hoid isn't evil, but his intentions and aspirations aren't well understood. As far as why he's so secretive, that's because he basically KNOWS all the answers in the universe. That's not something he wants everyone to be able to puzzle out, so he has to keep to himself.

To Hoid, he's basically a nuclear engineer who knows how to develop the hydrogen bomb, out visiting primitive african tribes for various reasons to effect his plans. He very much so doesn't want the knowledge has to slip into their hands, because that could be very bad.

To Hoid, he's basically a nuclear engineer who knows how to develop the hydrogen bomb, out visiting primitive african tribes for various reasons to effect his plans. He very much so doesn't want the knowledge has to slip into their hands, because that could be very bad.

Sounds evil to me. What is he doing visiting those tribes anyway? Studying the effects of radiation his bomb has released?

That is, I am still of opinion that secrets are the second root of evil. (Necessary evil sometimes, though).

I know I wouldn't want to meet a Shard who's intent is Avarice, but I'm not sure it's base enough. However I think that Hoid's grudge with Rayse and Bavadin is rooted in the era before the Shattering, back on Yolen. Neither of those character names appear in the sample chapters of Dragonsteel but if I were Brandon I would have changed their names from the original draft.

Sounds evil to me. What is he doing visiting those tribes anyway? Studying the effects of radiation his bomb has released?

That is, I am still of opinion that secrets are the second root of evil. (Necessary evil sometimes, though).

I wouldn't say secrects are evil. Especially when used to conceal information that really shouldn't be handed out. A shard called Secrecy would be pretty interesting (Hoid could be Secrecy!) , but I think secrets are going to stay a mistborn trope. "There's always another secret."

I've always considedred pride to be the root of all evil. If Pride was a shard I don't think Hoid would like them any better than Odium.

I wouldn't say secrects are evil. Especially when used to conceal information that really shouldn't be handed out. A shard called Secrecy would be pretty interesting (Hoid could be Secrecy!) , but I think secrets are going to stay a mistborn trope. "There's always another secret."

I've always considedred pride to be the root of all evil. If Pride was a shard I don't think Hoid would like them any better than Odium.

Hm... Well, pride is another root, I guess, although maybe arrogance fits better for me.

Shard intents seem to vary in style somewhat. Honor is undirected, hard to define quality. Ruin, preservation and endowment are directed towards something, and are not really human attributes. So pride may be a shard, actually, why not? The seven shardly sins...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well? What do you expect from someone so secretive?

Obvious bad guy material right there.

Hoid is behind all of the trouble in each world while he conducts experiments. He wants to claim all of the power for himself and extracts it from all Shards for his superior plan to recreate everyone in his own image. Men and women alike will share his very face! For his own unique reasons, he is unable to touch the Shards, but allowing mortals to possess them make the extraction possible.

'Hoid' is only his uninventive twist on his true aspect: Void!

Hoid is the most badass guy around, who shepards many worlds in their development and sometimes tells stories. His first name is Brandon.

• 6 months later...

I have a single word that can throw a wrench in your reasoning:

Batman.

No, really. :lol: Secretive, manipulative, puzzling... All in there and we could add ruthless, violent, scary, more than a little crazy... All that don't make Batman evil, though. And that is the same opinion I have about Hoid. He is Cosmere's Batman. Kind of. :P

I'm sure Joker thinks Batman is evil. And to me, also, he is. Do you know how many people he kills? :huh::o:ph34r:

Edited by Stroniax