Does each surge relate to a specific principle?

Elite01

I've been wondering for a while why each Knight Radiant order shares a specific surge with a different order. While this could be a coincidence I think it's more likely that an order's ideal is shaped by the combination of its surges and its respective theme.

For example, truthwatchers and lightweavers both are centered on truth but have different views on them (societal truth and personal truth). I believe that these different perspectives on truth are changed by the secondary surge each order possesses and it changes how the order views truth.

This could theoretically help us understand the other orders better if we can isolate each surges "theme" and then predict how these themes mix together. For example, if we could figure out the themes of abrasion and progression (edgedancer) then we could figure out the themes of abrasion and division (dustbringer) 

I tried to create an ideal of some kind for each surge and want to know y'alls thoughts.

Abrasion - Willpower? (This is kind of a shot in the dark, willshapers need a strong will for their powers and edgedancers need a strong will or commitment to care for those easily ignored)

Adhesion - Connection (Dalinar's theme of uniting and the tight-knit squads windrunners form)

Cohesion - Agency (willshapers focus on free will and stonewards choose to become dependable?)

Gravitation - Honor

Illumination - truth

Progression -selflessness

Transformation - self-improvement (Jasnah focuses on self improvement and the truths lightweavers reveal help them improve) 

Transportation - exploration

Tension? 

Definitely needs some polish but I think there is something there. What do you think and are there any suggestions? 

Edited by Elite01
typo

Welcome to the forums. Here are some tips and tricks with which you may not yet be familiar:

Spoiler

At the bottom left of a post you will see a "+" icon, a "Quote" link, and (your posts only) and Edit and Options tools. On the bottom right you will see an up arrow.

• The Up Arrow is how you thank people or "like" a post
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you click that for each post
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote" button that pops up.
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .
  • Use the Edit link to make changes to a completed post or add information to your post if it is the most recent (to avoid double posting)
    • Quote buttons will still send a quote to "Reply" if you have a post open for edit, but it is easy to cut/paste the quote to the Edit box
    • Editing the first post in a thread allows the thread-creator to edit the thread title.
    • Editing allows you to add a reason for the edit (Spelling and grammar (SPAG), formatting, clarification, new information, etc.), but it is not required.
  • Next to Edit you will also find an "options" dropbox, you can use this to hide your post if you want to remove it after posting
  • At the top of a post you will find "Report Post"
    • Use this if you do accidentally double-post (sometimes it's the browser or a slow link that causes a double post) - just leave a message that it was an accidental double post and the Mods can fix it. If it was the first post of a new thread that doubled, they usually can merge the threads if they both have answers, so all of the content is retained.

Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, Elite01 said:

I've been wondering for a while why each Knight Radiant order shares a specific surge with a different order. While this could be a coincidence I think it's more likely that an order's ideal is shaped by the combination of its surges and its respective theme.

For example, truthwatchers and lightweavers both are centered on truth but have different views on them (societal truth and personal truth). I believe that these different perspectives on truth are changed by the secondary surge each order possesses and it changes how the order views truth.

This could theoretically help us understand the other orders better if we can isolate each surges "theme" and then predict how these themes mix together. For example, if we could figure out the themes of abrasion and progression (edgedancer) then we could figure out the themes of abrasion and division (dustbringer) 

I tried to create an ideal of some kind for each surge and want to know y'alls thoughts.

Spoiler

Abrasion - Willpower? (This kind of a shot in the dark, willshapers need a strong will for their powers and edgedancers need a strong will or commitment to care for those easily ignored)

Adhesion - Connection (Dalinar's theme of uniting and the tight-knit squads windrunners form)

Cohesion - Agency (willshapers focus on free will and stonewards choose to become dependable?)

Gravitation - Honor

Illumination - truth

Progression -selflessness

Transformation - self-improvement (Jasnah focuses on self improvement and the truths lightweavers reveal help them improve) 

Transportation - exploration

Tension? 

Definitely needs some polish but I think there is something there. What do you think and are there any suggestions? 

Interesting theory. Personally, I think the cause/effect relationship is the opposite. We already know from Brandon that each surge is a fundamental force (Gravitation, Division, Abrasion, etc.). We also know that the surges and surgebinding predate the Orders of Knight Radiant (by a lot). Finally, we know that the surges are paired in the way they are because Honor chose those pairings for a specific reason (though we do not yet know the reason). Rough partial Timeline:

Spoiler
  • Humans arrive from Ashyn
  • Honor pairs Surges and crafts the Honorblades for the Heralds
  • Spren say "we can do that too" and start forming Nahel bonds to mimic the Honorblades
  • Orders are codified and bound by Oaths to limit the access to surges and provide failsafes

I don't think an order's oaths were influenced by the Surges - I think an order's method of accessing the surge is defined by their oath's and the order's relationship with that surge. For example, we know that the Bondsmith's access to Adhesion and Tension is different from a Windrunner's Adhesion or a Stoneward's Tension. Adhesion is still manipulating the surge of connetion and binding, the orders just do different things with that based on thier Oaths. Tension is still the surge of soft axial interconnection, but again the orders use that surge differently. We also saw that Venli used Cohesion (the surge of Strong axial interconnection) differently than the Makay-im using the same surge. The surge hasn;t changed - the intent behind how thay are accessing it is what has changed.

Unfortunately, there haven't been many surges we have seen from many different aspects yet to really grasp how much is similar or different between orders or between Radiants and Fused.

7 hours ago, Elite01 said:

I’ve thought about this myself, you can definitely see some patterns in the personalities of groups that share a Surge, although it can be hard to pin down. I think it’s also useful to look at the Fused since they are defined by the Surges as much as the Knight Radiants. I think these principles/themes might be the Cognitive and sometimes Spiritual aspects of the Surge, as opposed to their more physics-based Physical aspects.

My ideas for the list:
Adhesion: establishing trust/responsibility (this is fairly explicit with Honour and f-duralumin)
Gravitation: authority and attention (Connection focused on a person)
Division: impartiality and selflessness (both Dustbringers and Skybreakers externalise their morality)
Abrasion: sympathy and influence (friction is basically how much two things will move with each other)
Progression: maturing and augmenting (has less of a personality itself but modifies other Surges)
Illumination: revelation/understanding (fairly self-explanatory)
Transformation: individuality (both Orders have personalised oaths)
Transportation: independence and the self (both Orders and the Brand insist on going their own way)
Cohesion: conformity/consistency (both Orders look at group dynamics, the makay-im act as a single unit)
Tension: integrity and power (mostly guessing at this one)

Division seems to be focused on reponsibility. Basically "With great power comes great responsibility." The difference between skybreakers and dustbringers seems to be how they take responsibility. Dustbringers seem to do so via internal self-mastery whereas Skybringers do so via submission to an external set of laws. The dustbringer half is less certain since we haven't seen much of them, but the profile of the order from the radiant quiz mentions this idea of self-mastery.