Elhokar's Paranoia and Potential

Turos

Why would these abilities manifest themselves in larger proportions among the kholins?

I had a theory a while back that there is a genetic component to Surgebinding, after some discussion we decided it was probably that there is some genetic/environmental component whereby people in the same family will be raised/born with honourable morals due to this. It came from my theory that Shallans father may have been a natural Soulcaster as well but that's a bit off topic :P

Unless Elhokar becomes an antagonist I don't see it as being particularly helpful to the story. We already have two other Soulcasters (Who are much more independant) (probably) one from each of the two orders so it would be a waste of an opportunity if Elhokar just turned out to be another Soulcaster. I would like to see him become some kind of a Surgebinder I just hope it's not another Soulcaster as I just feel that this would waste the opportunity to showcase more abilities, this is more of a personal problem than any actual issue in the story but I also feel that it is unlikely for Brandon to make Elhokar a Soulcaster when there are still 7 Orders of the KR to explore. All this being said one situation that I would quite enjoy I think is if Elhokar became an antagonist in the series and was also a Soulcaster, then we have a Szeth v Kaladin fight and also a Shallan v Elhokar fight XD Also Soulcasting mainly has applications as a support role, (providing food, supplies, etc.) it does have martial applications as wee saw with Jasnah but this doesn't seem to fit Elhokar as a character.

Anyway this is all just opinion there's no actual reason for him not to be a Soulcaster so feel free to disagree :)

Point. Just seeing some type of Spren means he may be a Surgebinder, but not necessarily Soulcaster. On the other hand, despite what people seem to think, Elhokar probably has potential. We didn't see much of him in the book, really, and he wasn't so much bad as clueless. He might have an interesting character arc ahead of him.

But Shallans Truthspren seem sentient more or less from the start (already capable of speech).

Keep in mind that we have no idea how long the Slendyspren have been stalking her. They on recently bonded(I'm assuming it's a bond, though I'm not certain) enough to show up in pictures and actually clommunicate. Who knows how long she's been seeing them unknowingly, or how long it takes to bond with them to the point that even your drawing try to show the full truth (ei: Hidden spren.

Ooh! Could Shallan's paintings show any other kind of invisible spren? We need to get her near Szeth and some of those hidden Heralds...)

He might have an interesting character arc ahead of him.

Agreed, I'm actually looking forward to him the most, hope get some good POVs from him in book 2

@Observer yes but from the first instance that she saw them they appeared sentient, there also appeared to be much less of a bonding proccess between them as with Kaladin/Syl (And Kaladin was seeing Syl for months before she could communicate)

Agreed, I'm actually looking forward to him the most, hope get some good POVs from him in book 2

@Observer yes but from the first instance that she saw them they appeared sentient, there also appeared to be much less of a bonding proccess between them as with Kaladin/Syl (And Kaladin was seeing Syl for months before she could communicate)

But he also dismissed her as just another windspren. Why could Shallan not have done the same?

And perhaps it is only the growing strength of the bond that allows them to take on more concrete forms.

Also, maybe they were sentient from hanging around Jasnah, because of her long time soulcasting, and only recently found a new target.

Also is it possible that Jasnah is to Szeth as Shallan is to Kaladin?

Edited by Voldy

Also is it possible that Jasnah is to Szeth as Shallan is to Kaladin?

Not sure what you mean by that?

Also, maybe they were sentient from hanging around Jasnah, because of her long time soulcasting, and only recently found a new target.

This is definitely a possibility

But he also dismissed her as just another windspren. Why could Shallan not have done the same?

I don't think symbolheads could be dismissed as windspren... I know that larger spren can change their appearance but I don't think drastically enough for a symbolhead to look like a windspren.

Not sure what you mean by that?

Szeth is not KR, but something else. So if Jasnah is to...,

The book absolutely says Kaladin is KR, but only Jasnah's potentially unreliable authority says she is, iirc. (Or Shallan for that matter, but I feel like the POV evidence indicates nearly as strongly as Kal's that she is bonding to the symbol spren. Though they might not be honorspren...)

I don't think symbolheads could be dismissed as windspren... I know that larger spren can change their appearance but I don't think drastically enough for a symbolhead to look like a windspren.

Syl was the only one being confused as a windspren...; the symbol spren, however, could have devolved into a differnt type of spren. Especially where they are invisible.

If windrunner--honorspren are to windspren, what might "truth"spren(honorspren) be?

If windrunner--honorspren are to windspren, what might "truth"spren(honorspren) be?
Considering the way the orders match up to the essences (Windrunners -> Jes -> "translucent gas, air" -> windspren?), I wonder if all the Radiant orders' spren match the essence... so order 2's spren would be/resemble some kind of smokespren, order 3's would be flamespren, and so on.

Of course, going by that, and assuming Shallan's in the Shash order (most people seem to think so), her spren would have to resemble a bloodspren, and I don't think anything like that gets mentioned. Except maybe the rotspren on people's wounds.

Bloodspren would make sense considering how many types of spren there are, but I'm leaning away from that idea. Truthspren makes more sense considering her memory abilities, though whether or not they are her bond spren or something else entirely is unknown.

Edited by Observer

• Chaos locked this topic