Do we know where Adonalsium was Shattered?

kaellok

Title says it all.  I was reading Shaggai's interesting Statistical RAFOgraphy thread, and in his latest post reminded me of the WoB: "Has Hoid ever been to Braize?" where Brandon replied with "Perhaps the biggest RAFO!"

That got me thinking...why would that be the biggest RAFO?  An Adonalsium-related event seemed the most likely to me, and the Splintering of Adonalsium is about the biggest Adonalsium-related even there is.  I freely admit that  it seems a bit of a stretch.  (I mean, there's WoB that the worlds in the Roshar system are related to the mythology on Roshar; that Honor, Cultivation, and the humans arrived before Odium; and that the dragon Hoid talks to says that it is a part of Adonalsium's plan.)

But, disregarding all of that, I'm still curious--do we know where the single most important event in the Cosmere took place?

Edit: Finally got around to editing the title to be correct.

Edited by kaellok

My brain says that Adonalsium was splintered on Yolen, explaining why all (?) the original Shardholders were Yolish, but it's entirely possible I made that up somewhere along the line...

Good point!  But I think that's still just a theory (the one that best fits everything that we know, sure, but I haven't been able to find something for sure one way or the other).

Yolen. I'll try to find a quote. I know I have it.

EDIT: Wow, I'm wrong. I don't have it. All I know is that Adonalsium is whole in Dragonsteel (and confirmed doesn't get shattered in the book), and that book takes place on Yolen. The odd part is that over the years things have changed a bit, and Brandon has taken things from Dragonsteel and used them in other books. He took the Shattered Plains from Yolen and put them on Roshar. It has been theorized that The Shattered Plains are the land where Adonalsium was Shattered, causing their structure, but I think WoR kind of disproved that. So now I'm left not knowing fully, but Yolen was the first appearance of humans in the Cosmere, and it kind of seems like the rest of the planets weren't inhabited fully until the Shards split up and settled on planets (or didn't settle on planets). I guess I still lean toward Yolen pretty hard, but I don't have the quote I thought I remember having. 

EDIT2: Oh also Chaos once asked how many Shards had ever been on Roshar, and Brandon answered "three," so that's a pretty good sign that Adonalsium wasn't shattered on Roshar.

Edited by Bloodfalcon

Off topic, but I am confused how humans got to so many worlds when space travel doesn't appear to have existed, at least no evidence. Splintered planet became planets? Weird, but so is humans everywhere.

EDIT: This is when I just finished reading what I posted and remembered shadesmar... ya, travel, heh...

Heh.

Still a lot of people to move about in said fashion.

Edited by Turos Stoneward

Off topic, but I am confused how humans got to so many worlds when space travel doesn't appear to have existed, at least no evidence. Splintered planet became planets? Weird, but so is humans everywhere.

EDIT: This is when I just finished reading what I posted and remembered shadesmar... ya, travel, heh...

Heh.

Still a lot of people to move about in said fashion.

There is the fact that many of the worlds were populated with humans created by their resident shards (Scadrial for sure), probably Roshar and Sel. 

EDIT2: Oh also Chaos once asked how many Shards had ever been on Roshar, and Brandon answered "three," so that's a pretty good sign that Adonalsium wasn't shattered on Roshar.

I continue to agree that Yolen is the most logical place; I'm intentionally looking at possibilities for a "twist."

However, Adonalsium absolutely has been to Roshar.

Q:  So is that like the mists and the Well?  Are they...

A:  They are not, because they have not attained self-awareness.  But, the Seons are self-aware.  So, any piece. For instance there were some spren on Roshar before Honor and Cultivation got there.  Those were already splinters of Adonalsium where he had left power which attained sentience on its own.  So, it can be intentional is what I am saying, does that make sense?  You have seen other Splinters

And while he was there, he Splintered himself a little.  Braize seems to have special characteristics for Heralds (all that torture and such), so it seems likely that something happened there to make it that way.  Maybe this is because Odium has resided there for so long that he has twisted and warped the fabric with the force of his Hatred; maybe it's because the Shattering of the focus point for all creation and magic in the universe was broken there.  To develop this theory I think I'll need to look into places where Shards were deliberately Splintered and the effects it causes on their planets--and then somehow form a comparison to what may or may not be happening on Braize.

However, Adonalsium absolutely has been to Roshar.

...maybe it's because the Shattering of the focus point for all creation and magic in the universe was broken there.  To develop this theory I think I'll need to look into places where Shards were deliberately Splintered and the effects it causes on their planets--and then somehow form a comparison to what may or may not be happening on Braize.

Adonalsium being on Roshar doesn't count as a fourth shard because he isn't a shard.  However, if he had shattered there then there would have been more than 3 shards on Roshar.  Ergo, he did not shatter on Roshar.

Adonalsium being on Roshar doesn't count as a fourth shard because he isn't a shard.  However, if he had shattered there then there would have been more than 3 shards on Roshar.  Ergo, he did not shatter on Roshar.

Think about what it means though. If Adonalsium is on Roshar and is Shattered there, there are 16 Shards on the planet. Then some of them leave. The phrasing of the quote seems pretty clear, but I wouldn't have brought it up if I didn't think it was a possibility.

You're right, I mis-read that at first.  However,my thinking is still focused on whether he was shattered on Braize, to serve as a possible explanation as to why whether Hoid has been there or not is "possibility the biggest RAFO."  That's why I was curious whether it had actually been said or stated anywhere where Adonalsium was shattered, or if we only had (very, very logical) assumptions.

Adolnasium could have Shattered on roshar, say it Shatters and all of the Shards fly off at high speeds far away. That way none or few of them were ever actually there.

I guess we don't know enough about the shattering to say that couldn't happen, but I always just imagined it being similar to a transfer of power like we've seen.  Maybe the force of the shattering happened in multiple realms and caused the shards to end up in different places in all three realms.

Adolnasium could have Shattered on roshar, say it Shatters and all of the Shards fly off at high speeds far away. That way none or few of them were ever actually there.

Yeah that doesn't really make sense though. The question wasn't "How many Shards have ever taken extended vacations on Roshar?" They were all on Roshar. But if you wanna keep it open to all possibilities, I suppose Brandon could have been really shifty in his answer. I personally hope that is the case, because I love Roshar and the more significant it is, the better.

• 2 weeks later...

What if Adolnasium shattered on one world causing the planet to break up so now the point were he shattered is now non existent,

except if you count the middle of space a valid address.   

This is a possibility, but one that would have necessary difficulties to overcome that other theories don't.  Things like, How did everyone survive, including Hoid?  Planetary destruction is a pretty massive release of energy, on top of whatever caused the Adonalsium Shattering event that occurred.

Based on what we know currently (so close to nothing as to be indistinguishable from it) my guess is that even were this the case, Braize was this planet.  The planet seems to act in ways contrary to every other planet, and has some really weird, wobbly stuff regarding some of the WoB implications (which is easily just Brandon trolling us hard).  I just feel that Adonalsium Shattering would go a long way to explaining this, and haven't seen any actual evidence to the contrary.

Can I just say that the problem with a mega planet that got shattered is Gravity. If have a huge original planet than humans as they exist today cannot live on it, the gravity is too strong. You could supplement it with magic, but why? I think that wherever big A was was very similar to Scadrial/Earth because of humans.

I'm very certain that there is no relationship between the Shattered Plains and Adonalsium's Shattering. We know now when the Plains were broken, it occurred during the Final Desolation. Honor and Odium were both separate beings by then, so the Shattering of Adonalsium must have occurred long before anything happened to Stormseat.

It's an in-world quote from WoR (I believe), when Shallan is doing research on Urithiru. So there is leeway there for it to not be the case.

Regardless, it happened after the Shattering of Adolnasium because it was a Silver kingdom which existed post-"Final desolation", and the Desolations are Odium's forces vs. Honor's/Cultivation's therefore must be post Shattering.