The Cosmere war

Gavtyven

We see that there are multiple factions in this big cosmere-wide war, but what stood out to me is that the Scadrians were initially wary of Nomad being a radiant, or oathed, but not that much when they found out he was just a Rosharan. To me this implies that the Radiants are, at least mostly, on one side of the war. Could this mean that Odium gets his way, and gets to lead the radiants in the war against the rest of the cosmere? This might even be a cool second SA arc, where we see characters we know trying to both obey (as they have to, due to their oaths, in order not to kill their spren), and also not cause too much harm as unwilling participants in the war. There might even be some characters we know and love who ended their oaths to not participate in this, causing a second recreance (this might be how Nomad loses his windrunner spren).

I'm not saying you're NOT right about Radiants being on one side of a widespread cosmere conflict, but I don't know that this particular argument proves it. Their wariness of Nomad being a Radiant isn't necessarily because of what it implies of his loyalties, but rather just the threat level of a person they barely know. It wasn't about determining whether this stranger was a specific enemy or combatant for a particular military, but rather just determining whether this stranger was packing the equivalent of a bazooka somewhere on his person.

I went back to find the bit I was talking about, and it does seem to matter that Zellion isn't a radiant.

"Rosharan, have you said the oaths?” “No,” Zellion lied. “I’m a free man. I’ve got no part in the conflicts. Just want to keep my head down and stay alive.” “Can you fight?” “I have a Blade.” The two Scadrians shared a look."

This seems to imply that the Radiants aren't free (although that could be from the spren) and are inherently part of the conflicts. After that he mentions he has a Blade, which would be a dead blade, thus admitting he's packing a bazooka in his soul, and then they offer to hire him as a mercenary (in a very presumptuous way, I might add).

You’ve done mercenary work, I assume, if you have a Blade?” Zellion nodded. “Excellent,” the man said, clapping his hands. “You’re hired.”

4 hours ago, Gavtyven said:

We see that there are multiple factions in this big cosmere-wide war, but what stood out to me is that the Scadrians were initially wary of Nomad being a radiant, or oathed, but not that much when they found out he was just a Rosharan. To me this implies that the Radiants are, at least mostly, on one side of the war. Could this mean that Odium gets his way, and gets to lead the radiants in the war against the rest of the cosmere?

It would seem to mean that Odium was released from Roshar. In fact from Lost Metal it very much looks like Shadesmar is a war zone.

But which oaths would bind the Radiants? They may bind the Skybreakers and they bind Dalinar personally, but the Knights Radiant in their entirety? Strictly speaking Dalinar does not command them. Isn't that the whole point of contention between the Skybreakers and the rest?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2023 at 7:00 AM, Oltux72 said:

It would seem to mean that Odium was released from Roshar. In fact from Lost Metal it very much looks like Shadesmar is a war zone.

But which oaths would bind the Radiants? They may bind the Skybreakers and they bind Dalinar personally, but the Knights Radiant in their entirety? Strictly speaking Dalinar does not command them. Isn't that the whole point of contention between the Skybreakers and the rest?

Lost of things can change in a cupple hundred years. 

On 10/2/2023 at 8:00 AM, Oltux72 said:

11 hours ago, AidenTollis said:

I thought that it wasn't exactly a war zone, it was just Trell's Army amassing near the Perpendicularly? I could be wrong tho

I think they were referencing possible Iriali refugees in Bilming and possible Horneater Refugees in the Epilogue. . . 

So the confirmed sides in this war are Scadrial and Roshar but I think by Era 4 there will be a third side consisting of an alliance composed of Non-Shard worlds like First of the Sun who want to stop being exploited by the Primary Systems.

SotD2 Spoilers

Spoiler

The sneak peek of Sixth of the Dusk Sequel implies this, with Dusk going through Patji's Perpendicularity to find allies through Shadesmar to go against the One's Above (Scadrians) and a Skybreaker (Roshar).

I think that Nomad might be the one that causes this alliance to exist, with Canticle just being the first. They were exploited by the Scadrians for years for no real reason aside from 'why not?', with the Scadrians intentionally hiding the method of recharging Sunstones and supporting the Cinder King and his tyranny because he was 'mildly convenient'. UTol apparently becomes known to the Cosmere and we know that's Zellion's next stop after TSM.

So I think Era 4 will be about the Non-Shardworlds getting fed up and telling Scadrial and Roshar to stuff it and leave them alone. While mixing their magic systems together, could you imagine a Sunlit Aviar?

Edited by JustQuestin2004

1 hour ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

So the confirmed sides in this war are Scadrial and Roshar but I think by Era 4 there will be a third side consisting of an alliance composed of Non-Shard worlds like First of the Sun who want to stop being exploited by the Primary Systems.

The sneak peek of Sixth of the Dusk Sequel implies this, with Dusk going through Patji's Perpendicularity to find allies through Shadesmar to go against the One's Above (Scadrians) and a Skybreaker (Roshar).

I think that Nomad might be the one that causes this alliance to exist, with Canticle just being the first. They were exploited by the Scadrians for years for no real reason aside from 'why not?', with the Scadrians intentionally hiding the method of recharging Sunstones and supporting the Cinder King and his tyranny because he was 'mildly convenient'. UTol apparently becomes known to the Cosmere and we know that's Zellion's next stop after TSM.

So I think Era 4 will be about the Non-Shardworlds getting fed up and telling Scadrial and Roshar to stuff it and leave them alone. While mixing their magic systems together, could you imagine a Sunlit Aviar?

Good thoughts but you're still thinking to small era 4 will have a lot more then 3 sides your forgetting Ire, The night brigade,  What ever mythos is . There will probably be a lot more then just 2 or even 3 factions.

1 hour ago, Treamayne said:

It doesn't - but some people think it does. . .

Honestly I think they'd be doing it regardless of Odium being free, their home is under siege by the Fused due to the Perpendicularity after all.

Edited by JustQuestin2004

On 2.10.2023 at 9:36 AM, TheoreticalMagic said:

It wasn't about determining whether this stranger was a specific enemy or combatant for a particular military, but rather just determining whether this stranger was packing the equivalent of a bazooka somewhere on his person.

He is carrying the equivalent of a bazooka. His blade can damage the hull and doom them all. He freely tells them that he has a blade.

On 13.10.2023 at 5:49 AM, AidenTollis said:

I thought that it wasn't exactly a war zone, it was just Trell's Army amassing near the Perpendicularly? I could be wrong tho

No, the Ghostbloods can reach some planets just fine. Others are cut off. That shows that the obstacle is on the remote side, that is, in Roshar's case, in Shadesmar.

9 hours ago, Treamayne said:

It doesn't - but some people think it does. . .

Would think that this book would put to rest any rumors of odium being free. I can't imagine a free odium that would let he radiance live.  The fact that men still swear oaths is proof that he is either still bound or dead. 

11 hours ago, bmcclure7 said:

Would think that this book would put to rest any rumors of odium being free. I can't imagine a free odium that would let he radiance live.  The fact that men still swear oaths is proof that he is either still bound or dead. 

Or Dalinar is dead and Navani and Jasnah have chosen to limit the damage and made a deal: release from Roshar against leaving the humans of Roshar alone.

On 10/14/2023 at 3:41 AM, JustQuestin2004 said:

SotD2 Spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

Wasn't it stated somewhere that there were going to be 3 major empires in the space age: Scadrial, Roshar, and Sel?

yafeshan

Scadrial will get to space age sometime in future, what about other worlds. Will we see space tech based on other magic systems, shiny space battles etc.? Did we see space age tech of a world in another main (roshar, sel, scadrial) world(conveniently excluding Sixth of Dusk world)?

Brandon Sanderson

The cosmere is heading this way eventually.

/r/books AMA 2015 (June 8, 2015)

I wobbed and wobbed and this was the best I found for evidence. 

9 hours ago, A Simple Pilgrim said:

Wasn't it stated somewhere that there were going to be 3 major empires in the space age: Scadrial, Roshar, and Sel?

He's mentioned that there are four main systems, scadrial, Roshar, sel, and taldain. And I think it was in the context of the four main groups in space age cosmere

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 5:39 AM, drunkenbotanist said:

He's mentioned that there are four main systems, scadrial, Roshar, sel, and taldain. And I think it was in the context of the four main groups in space age cosmere

You're probably referencing this WOB:

Cosmere.es

So currently, the books from the cosmere are pretty different, maybe, from the things that you thought would be the cosmere, like thirty years ago when the young Brandon was starting to write, and we are curious about how, or if you expected it to be like this when you started?

Brandon Sanderson

No, I definitely didn't. Remember that when I very first started, I didn't have the cosmere, right? Back when I was writing White Sand Prime and Sixth Incarnation of Pandora, and Star's End and Knight Life, all of those early books, all I had was a desire to do a big epic. Even when I wrote Elantris, I put Hoid into it more as an Easter egg than as a thing that is going to be some big thing. It wasn't until writing Mistborn years later, not even Mistborn Prime, the actual Mistborn, that the cosmere started to take shape. And at that point, so that's 2004, at that point I outlined Era 1, what is now Era 3, and Era 4. And Era 4 was big galactic kind of space interaction between all the different worlds. So by then, I was very excited by the idea of—I had the shape of it. But even then I wasn't planning to write Sixth of the Dusk, I hadn't written Shadows for Silence, right? All I knew basically then was Sel, Scadrial, Taldain, and Roshar. And I knew those were going to be involved somehow and so I was working on the various different Shards that were on those planets, but that leaves a lot of Shards right? If you add those all up, that's what, seven or so Shards worth of people? Suddenly it's like wait, that's only seven of the sixteen, where's everybody else, right? And counting that seven of the sixteen are two dead ones. I knew that it would be more expansive but I didn't know where I would be going and what I would be doing and that sort of stuff.

Cosmere.es Interview (April 22, 2021)

... which confirms that these four planets will be important in space Cosmere, but not that each of them is on their own side. The Lost Metal epilogue mentioning a possible future alliance between Sel and Scadrial against Autonomy always felt like a possible hint that Sel and Scadrial could be on one side in the conflict eventually. Which would also make it more balanced imo, because Roshar is basically a never-ending explosion of Investiture that'd have the upper hand in most interplanetary conflicts, I think.

Edited by Elegy