which secret project did you like most? (no spoilers)

which secret project is your did you like most?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. which secret project is your did you like most?

• tress of the emerald sea
    • The Frugal Wizard's Handbook for Surviving Medieval England
    • yumi and the nightmare painter
    • the sunlit man

• 3 weeks later...

1. Yumi. Loved it! Interesting story, relatable characters, and the worldbuilding was so cool!

2. Tress. Overall just amazing! 👌

3. Frugal. I relate to John a lot, which made the story x10 better.

4. Sunlit. I was disappointed by the ending, but I still liked the story.

On 1/10/2024 at 2:18 PM, Sir Squeekins said:

1. Sunlit

Exciting cosmere stuff, awesome depth of character, wonderfully paced. Also I'm a sucker for sci-fi.

2. Tress

Actually might be my favorite; it was so hard to pick between it and Sunlit. ToTES is just so unique in its style, plus all the characters are incredibly likeable.

3. Yumi

Also very good, though the story itself wasn't as engaging to me. Super cool worldbuilding.

4. Frugal

A delightful read just bursting with creativity, but most of the characters felt unmemorable and not very interesting. (The main character arc was great, other than all the introspection. I would have preferred full flashbacks instead of him just realizing things about his past.)

yumi and the nightmare painter

1. Yumi And The Nightmare Painter

I enjoyed the story and the mistery of the worlds very much and read through the whole thing in a day. What put it on the top of my list however was how incredibly perfect the artwork fits the story. The style (in all its three variations: b/w, slightly coloured and full colour) looks so fantastic and perfectly matched the descriptions in the story and the overall design of the book was just perfect in my opinion. 

2. Tress Of The Emerald Sea

Close second to Yumi. While I actually preferred the story and writing style a bit more in Tress, I felt the illustrations were a bit inconsistent and not as close to the story and descriptions in the story (e.g. Tress' varying faces or someone's missing mullet). In the same vein, I love much about the overall design of the book, but felt that there were some small points that irked me a bit (e.g. I love the growing chapter numbers, but it bothered me that something similar to the red/black transition wasn't used for the green/red change). In the end they're minor flaws (and also very subjective) and all in all I absolutely love the book. And since it's also a great new starting point for the Cosmere, I probably won't stop recommending it to others any time soon.

3. The Sunlit Man

Also really enjoyed that one. Canticle is such a creative planet and one of my favourites in the Cosmere so far (though same goes for Lumar and Komashi) and I really enjoyed the glimpse into the far future as well as the story overall (though it had me somewhat worried with some of the implications). While I also quite like the illustrations here (the sketches as well as the full colour ones), the overall design could've been a bit more interesting I think. Nonetheless it's solid (and again, Yumi and Tress are absolute bangers in that regard).

4. Frugal Wizard

It was fun, but tbh I wasn't really interested in it since it wasn't Cosmere related.

(All that said, there seems to be another one on the horizon now, so maybe we'll have to update these posts next year 😄)

Edited by PanicPug
Probable minor spoilers removed

Having now read TSM:

1. Tress of the Emerald Sea. Princess Bride parody with aethers and quality Hoid narration? Obvious pick.
  2. The Sunlit Man. Fun, plus a lot of nice Cosmere tidbits.
  3. The Frugal Wizard's Handbook for Surviving in Medieval England. I really liked it, but the ending fell flat for me. Still, I'm a sucker for Anglo-Saxons.
  4. Yumi and the Nightmare Painter. Don't get me wrong, I loved this book, but romance isn't my thing. The jokes were still funny, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I've read Tress and Sunlit, I'm gonna give my thoughts here.

(4: Frugal Wizard. Haven't read that one, probably won't for a while. From what I hear, it will probably end up here anyway because I don't see it top the other SPs.)

3. Sunlit Man. Really great, but I felt that we had too many holes in the main character's story to fully appreciate it. It might be improved with later Cosmere releases. Also, the permanent breakneck pace made it exhausting (which I guess was what he was going for, but wasn't exactly what I needed right now.) Again, great book, but not my favourite.

2. Tress of the Emerald Sea. Banger from end to end. I fell in love with the characters as soon as they were introduced, the worldbuilding was incredibly cool... Pretty much an instant favourite for me. Best read by a crackling fire, or with a blanket if unpractical.

1. Yumi and the Nightmare Painter. Just as Tress, an instant favourite. Some of Sando's best character work with Yumi and Nikaro, cool worldbuilding, a nice plot with a brilliant climax... But what inches it ahead is how much I connected on a personal level to Nikaro's struggles. Even though my brain is whispering me that Tress is the better book, my heart and my vote go to Yumi and the Nightmare Painter

On 10/2/2023 at 9:20 PM, NameIess said:

and I hope Brandon does more books like this in the future.

*whispers* Everyone. I think he's watching