Weirdness, Huzzah!

So my siblings and I have a lot of weird thoughts, so I decided to make a forum for them. 

...what else is there to add?

I won't be putting stuff on this all the time but if anyone else wants to put their weird thoughts on this feel free. 

Now, let the weirdness commence!

Short weird thought (stealing this from my brother, or maybe one of his friends, I'm not sure): Brushing your teeth is the closest you'll ever get to cleaning your own bones. 

Long weird thought (this one is my own): In books, there are, for the most part, two kinds of time travel. One is multiple timelines, but also multiple alternate universes (we'll call it the Branches Timeline for now) - so if you go back in time and do something, when you return you're in an alternate universe (like in Back to the Future). So if you accidentally kill your past self, you go back to the future and you're now dead. The other kind is a sort of loop (we'll call this the Loop Timeline) - multiple timelines, all going at once, but no alternate universes (like in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, if that makes it a little less confusing). So if you go to the past in that one, you come back and it's exactly the same, because your future self did that too and so will your past self, so it's like a giant loop. Now this is the part where I break your brain: So killing your past self won't affect you, because it doesn't immediately change, so you'll still be alive. Except your future self will have already killed you, so you'll be dead. But then it won't be a Loop Timeline anymore because you won't be able to kill your past self. And if it's not a Loop Timeline anymore, then suddenly you live in a Branches Timeline. That could be what would end up happening, but then one person doing that will change the kind of time travel that happens for everyone. So that means that if it's a Loop Timeline, no one has ever killed their past self or been killed by their future self. And, since in every book with time travel I can think of that has a Loop Timeline also has a world that's been around for a while, meaning it's likely that that sort of thing has happened before. So technically, the Loop Timeline should not exist, as it would change to the Branches Timeline when someone inevitably accidentally killed their past self. 

...sorry if I broke your brain with that, I definitely broke mine lol (no, wait - I did that last week...)

Proof that humans are weird (this is also my own): We paint our nails and lips the color of blood and call it pretty

Okay done with the first Wave of Weirdness. Huzzah!

So what you're saying is that if you use time travel to kill your past self it'll break time if it's in the loop form? Cool! I know what I'm doing over the weekend.

Here's my weird thing

There is literally no way to prove that things still exist if they aren't being observed. (this may just be my incomplete understanding of the observer effect being mixed with my tendency to think of things from a fantasy or sci fi perspective)

2 hours ago, Wittles of Shinovar said:

So what you're saying is that if you use time travel to kill your past self it'll break time if it's in the loop form? Cool! I know what I'm doing over the weekend.

Yeah at least I think that’s what I’m saying I kinda broke my brain ha

1 hour ago, Edema Rue said:

My brain is broken.

Hey mine too!

Another one I’m stealing from my brother (cause it’s kinda funny): the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs technically had the highest ratio of birds killed with one stone

Weird freaky thing, what if a few people were chilling on the moon and then the world ended and everything burned down or something and then they went back to earth and one person was like "Hey, I remember that there's a measurement called an inch" and then they found a rock and called it an inch and then the world was repopulated in the future and most stuff was the same but inches were a different length than they used to be.

• 5 months later...

Even though they're practically the same thing, long nails on hands are seen as attractive but long nails on feet are seen as gross

(why are long nails on hands seen as attractive anyway? I have yet to find a suitable explanation)

This is funny if you read it out loud to someone:

Why is chili called chili if it's not chilly? If you wait long enough it gets chilly you now have chilly chili, but if you reheat the chilly chili, chilly chili no longer is chilly, but only chili as it originally was. If I made chilly chili with chilly chillies from Chile, I would have chilliy Chile chille chili, made, of course, from chilled chilly Chile chillies.

The letter "c" no longer looks like a letter... oh gosh I've done it again.

Edited by Through The Living Glass

5 hours ago, PianoSavant said:

(why are long nails on hands seen as attractive anyway? I have yet to find a suitable explanation)

Honestly, I just like having long nails because, when I paint them, they look like colourful talons! *Harpy noises*

And if that was not sufficient, here is my official contribution of weird thoughts: It is impossible to properly punch your own reflection, because they always turn it into a fist bump! Very frustrating...

1 hour ago, Faerie Braids said:

Honestly, I just like having long nails because, when I paint them, they look like colourful talons! *Harpy noises*

Ah that makes sense

1 hour ago, Faerie Braids said:

It is impossible to properly punch your own reflection, because they always turn it into a fist bump! Very frustrating...

Indeed it is

On 10/3/2023 at 9:30 AM, PianoSavant said:

In books, there are, for the most part, two kinds of time travel.

Another kind of time travel is that you can't change the past because it already happened and so any thing you did in the past already happened and time kept going. The past already happened so lets say you go back and try and kill Hitler you can't maybe get intercepted by something maybe you even accidentally save his life but since the past already happened you were always in the past and you can't change the future. The only use for time travel at that point is to learn from the past because you can't change what already happened. 

7 hours ago, Highprince10 said:

Another kind of time travel is that you can't change the past because it already happened and so any thing you did in the past already happened and time kept going. The past already happened so lets say you go back and try and kill Hitler you can't maybe get intercepted by something maybe you even accidentally save his life but since the past already happened you were always in the past and you can't change the future. The only use for time travel at that point is to learn from the past because you can't change what already happened. 

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one! Although I guess it would go with the Loop Timeline, because it also doesn’t have anything changing when you go back to the future? I dunno school took all my brain cells ha

On 3/20/2024 at 5:18 AM, PianoSavant said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one! Although I guess it would go with the Loop Timeline, because it also doesn’t have anything changing when you go back to the future? I dunno school took all my brain cells ha

On 3/19/2024 at 10:02 PM, Highprince10 said:

i personaly would call this the law of continuity time travel. basically how i explain it is that there is a vault. you travel back in time to steal a diamond. once you have the diamond you jump back to the present. if you looked at the news around the time of the robbery a unknown person stole it. basically everything that will happen has happened in the past.

On 3/18/2024 at 2:05 PM, Through The Living Glass said:

This is funny if you read it out loud to someone:

Why is chili called chili if it's not chilly? If you wait long enough it gets chilly you now have chilly chili, but if you reheat the chilly chili, chilly chili no longer is chilly, but only chili as it originally was. If I made chilly chili with chilly chillies from Chile, I would have chilliy Chile chille chili, made, of course, from chilled chilly Chile chillies.

The letter "c" no longer looks like a letter... oh gosh I've done it again.

What if you bring Chilly chili made with Chilean chilis that you got from Chilis and gave to a chilly friend?

I saw this somewhere and reminded me how wierd English is:

Remember, read rhymes with lead, and read rhymes with lead, but read doesn't rhyme with lead and read, doesn't rhyme with lead.

Spoiler

for anyone whose confused, read can be pronounced "red" or "reed" and lead can be pronounced "led" or "leed"