[HOLIDAY] IS COMING!!!

Ancient Elantrian

Just now, Ancient Elantrian said:

DUDE!

That is SO COOL! How are you doing your costume?

Um, I haven’t started it yet, which I should do, but I’m going to attach cardboard spikes to the backs of sunglasses, face paint eye tattoos, and get myself a black cloak.

Just now, Ravenclawjedi42 said:

Um, I haven’t started it yet, which I should do, but I’m going to attach cardboard spikes to the backs of sunglasses, face paint eye tattoos, and get myself a black cloak.

That sounds epic bro. 

2 minutes ago, Being of Cacophony said:

I'm doing a halloween concert and me and the other chamber bass are going as sith, and the others are going as jedi

Noooooice.

I’m going as Loki, I bought a TVA jumpsuit  and a 3D print file of a time displacement collar. It’s gonna be epic.

1 hour ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

That sounds epic bro. 

Noooooice.

I’m going as Loki, I bought a TVA jumpsuit  and a 3D print file of a time displacement collar. It’s gonna be epic.

HEHEHE SEASON 2 COMES OUT THIS FRIDAY

I...really need to choose a costume. I have a red velvet cloak, maybe I can do something with that?

On 10/3/2023 at 9:41 PM, Ancient Elantrian said:

I figure there should be a thread to just discuss holidays, and what traditions people have/what they’re going to do for them.

Not just Halloween?

In that case, Thanksgiving (US) next month and I'm taking Wed (Prep and pre-cook) and Fri (Clean-up) off of work. Menu plan so far:

Spoiler
  • Will brine the turkey with lemon, garlic and herbs - starting on Sunday
    • Will roast with lemon, apple and herbs in the cavity, and a sage garlic butter under the skin
  • Sage dressing with mixed bread - plan is for wheat, sour dough, potato, and pumpernickle mix (subject to change)
    • Mix and season on Wed - add stock and bake on Thur.
  • Scratch Bean and Mushroom Casserole
    • Make the mushroom sauce on the weekend - Cremini, Button, Shitake and (if I can find fresh) Chanterelle
    • Blanch/soak the beans on the weekend - Fresh green beans (half french-cut), (if I can find fresh) Wax Beans, Dried limas (soaked in stock)
    • Mix it all on Wed to bake on Thur.
  • Garlic Cheddar Mashed Potatos
  • Pumpkin Cheesecake (Bake Wed)

I can share recipes if anybody is interested.

51 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Not just Halloween?

In that case, Thanksgiving (US) next month and I'm taking Wed (Prep and pre-cook) and Fri (Clean-up) off of work. Menu plan so far:

Hide contents
  • Will brine the turkey with lemon, garlic and herbs - starting on Sunday
    • Will roast with lemon, apple and herbs in the cavity, and a sage garlic butter under the skin
  • Sage dressing with mixed bread - plan is for wheat, sour dough, potato, and pumpernickle mix (subject to change)
    • Mix and season on Wed - add stock and bake on Thur.
  • Scratch Bean and Mushroom Casserole
    • Make the mushroom sauce on the weekend - Cremini, Button, Shitake and (if I can find fresh) Chanterelle
    • Blanch/soak the beans on the weekend - Fresh green beans (half french-cut), (if I can find fresh) Wax Beans, Dried limas (soaked in stock)
    • Mix it all on Wed to bake on Thur.
  • Garlic Cheddar Mashed Potatos
  • Pumpkin Cheesecake (Bake Wed)

I can share recipes if anybody is interested.

*GASP*
Pumpkin cheesecake?! I’m interested!

Yes, not just Halloween. I figure we don’t want a new thread for every holiday, and not everyone celebrates every holiday, so having one for all the holidays would be nice.

On 10/8/2023 at 11:28 PM, Ancient Elantrian said:

*GASP*
Pumpkin cheesecake?! I’m interested!

Here you go. . . 

Pumpkin Cheesecake:

Spoiler

*Note - recipe designed to be modular - depending on size of pan and how deep you want the cheesecake. Average 8" Springform would use two packages of cream cheese, 10" may use two or three and 12" at least three packages. Adjust remainder accordingly. Likewise, crust should be doubled or tripled depending on pan size.

**Note 2 - People are often intimidated by making Cheesecake - likely because technique matters at least as much as recipe. Mix correctly (especially the eggs), use a Water Bath and bake in two stages and you have already solved almost all Cheesecake complications (and even failures taste amazing - usually. . . ) The water bath helps insulate the edges so the cheesecake cooks evenly, rather than the outside overbaking while the center is still raw.

Pre-prep: 

Spoiler
  • Allow cream cheese to come to room temperature
  • Waterbath - a vessel at least 1" larger than the cheesecake pan in all directions - filled with water so that when the cheesecake pan is set in the water the water level is at-least as high as the raw batter (but not high enough to boil water over the pan edge). I use a round deep-dish pizza pan for this
  • Preheat oven to 350 (180 C) degrees  

Crust:

Spoiler

• 1/2 Cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
  • 2 tsp Granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp Brown sugar (light or dark by preference)
  • 2 tbsp Butter, melted
  • 1-2 tbsp Water (environment dependent)
  • ~1/4 tsp Salt (to taste)
  • ~1/2 tsp ground Cinnamon (to taste)
  • ~1/4 tsp ground Nutmeg (to taste)

Mix graham cracker crumb with salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugars with a fork. Heat butter and 1 tbsp water in 8-10 second increments (microwave) or in a pan until melted but before foaming or browning. Drizzle over crumb mixture while mixing with the fork. Mixture should resumble clumpy wet sand - if dry portions remain (often in low humidity households) add more water 1 teaspoon at a time until it is all moist. 

Press mixture into bottom (and sides - by preference) of the pan (hint - you can put a spritz of baking spray on flat tinfoil to help press the mixture flat) until evenly covered. Bake at 350 for 6 minutes, then remove from oven to cool. Set oven to 450 (235 C) degrees to preheat and place the water bath on the center rack. 

Ingredients:

Spoiler

For each 8oz package of Cream Cheese:  
1/3 cup Pumpkin Puree (if canned - do NOT use "Pumpkin pie filling/mix" - it is pre-spiced and the wrong texture)
2 tbsp Sour Cream
1/3 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Egg
2 tsp Cornstarch
1 tsp ground Cinnamon (to taste)
Dash ground Clove (to taste)
Dash ground (or 'fresh' grated) Nutmeg (to taste)

Directions:

Spoiler

Add sugar to mixing bowl and top with cream cheese. Blend on increasing speed (low, med-low, med) until the mixture becomes "fluffy." Mix the spices and cornstarch together in a small bowl, and sprinkle over the cream cheese mixture. Add the sour cream, pumpkin, and vanilla - restart blending on med-low until mixture is well incorporated and "airy." Remove from stand mixer or put away your blender - do not use them for the next step! Add one egg and stir slowly by hand until you do not see separate white or yolk - repeat for each egg (using a blender or mixer will collapse the air you whipped into the cream cheese and stiffen the egg white- making a less-than-creamy cheesecake).

Pour the cheesecake batter into the previously prepared crust (do not tap to even out batter - if it needs smoothing, use 1/4 rotations left-and-right on the counter so that centripetal force smooths the top without breaking the crust)

Bake at 450 Degrees for 15-20 minutes (pan size dependent). Then, without opening the oven, reduce temperature to 250 degrees. Continue baking another 30-45 minutes (pan size and depth dependent) until the top appears dry (top may lightly brown - overbaking will crack the top). Remove from oven to cool to room temperature, then place in refrigerator overnight (or at least 4 hours) to set. 

To cut, heat a cup of water to just-below boiling. Place pie knife in water for 10 seconds and wipe it dry, then cut the cheesecake with the hot knife to prevent breaking or having the filling stick to the knife. Wipe clean and repeat for each cut. 

. . . use it wisely. 

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

1 minute ago, Treamayne said:

Here you go. . . 

Pumpkin Cheesecake:

Hide contents

*Note - recipe designed to be modular - depending on size of pan and how deep you want the cheesecake. Average 8" Springform would use two packages of cream cheese, 10" may use two or three and 12" at least three packages. Adjust remainder accordingly. Likewise, crust should be doubled or tripled depending on pan size.

**Note 2 - People are often intimidated by making Cheesecake - likely because technique matters at least as much as recipe. Mix correctly (especially the eggs), use a Water Bath and bake in two stages and you have already solved almost all Cheesecake complications (and even failures taste amazing - usually. . . ) The water bath helps insulate the edges so the cheesecake cooks evenly, rather than the outside overbaking while the center is still raw.

Pre-prep: 

Hide contents
  • Allow cream cheese to come to room temperature
  • Waterbath - a vessel at least 1" larger than the cheesecake pan in all directions - filled with water so that when the cheesecake pan is set in the water the water level is at-least as high as the raw batter (but not high enough to boil water over the pan edge). I use a round deep-dish pizza pan for this
  • Preheat oven to 350 (180 C) degrees  

Crust:

Hide contents

• 1/2 Cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
  • 2 tsp Granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp Brown sugar (light or dark by preference)
  • 2 tbsp Butter, melted
  • 1-2 tbsp Water (environment dependent)
  • ~1/4 tsp Salt (to taste)
  • ~1/2 tsp ground Cinnamon (to taste)
  • ~1/4 tsp ground Nutmeg (to taste)

Mix graham cracker crumb with salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugars with a fork. Heat butter 1 and 1 tbsp water in 8-10 second increments (microwave) or in a pan until melted but before foaming or browning. Drizzle over crumb mixture while mixing with the fork. Mixture should resumble clumpy wet sand - if dry portions remain (often in low humidity households) add more water 1 teaspoon at a time until it is all moist. 

Press mixture into bottom (and sides - by preference) of the pan (hint - you can put a spritz of baking spray on flat tinfoil to help press the mixture flat) until evenly covered. Bake at 350 for 6 minutes, then remove from oven to cool. Set oven to 450 (235 C) degrees to preheat and place the water bath on the center rack. 

Ingredients:

Hide contents

For each 8oz package of Cream Cheese:  
1/3 cup Pumpkin Puree (if canned - do NOT use "Pumpkin pie filling/mix" - it is pre-spiced and the wrong texture)
2 tbsp Sour Cream
1/3 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Egg
2 tsp Cornstarch
1 tsp ground Cinnamon (to taste)
Dash ground Clove (to taste)
Dash ground (or 'fresh' grated) Nutmeg (to taste)

Directions:

Hide contents

Add sugar to mixing bowl and top with cream cheese. Blend on increasing speed (low, med-low, med) until the mixture becomes "fluffy." Mix the spices and cornstarch together in a small bowl, and sprinkle over the cream cheese mixture. Add the sour cream, pumpkin, and vanilla - restart blending on med-low until mixture is well incorporated and "airy." Remove from stand mixer or put away your blender - do not use them for the next step! Add one egg and stir slowly by hand until you do not see separate white or yolk - repeat for each egg (using a blender or mixer will collapse the air you whipped into the cream cheese and stiffen the egg white- making a less-than-creamy cheesecake).

Pour the cheesecake batter into the previously prepared crust (do not tap to even out batter - if it needs smoothing, use 1/4 rotations left-and-right on the counter so that centripetal force smooths the top without breaking the crust)

Bake at 450 Degrees for 15-20 minutes (pan size dependent). Then, without opening the oven, reduce temperature to 250 degrees. Continue baking another 30-45 minutes (pan size and depth dependent) until the top appears dry (top may lightly brown - overbaking will crack the top). Remove from oven to cool to room temperature, then place in refridgerator overnight (or at least 4 hours) to set. 

To cut, heat a cup of water to just-below boiling. Place pie knife in water for 10 seconds and wipe it dry, then cut the cheesecake with the hot knife to prevent breaking or having the filling stick to the knife. Wipe clean and repeat for each cut. 

. . . use it wisely. 

Thank you! I will use it wisely.

Thanksgiving was great! (Please no one tell me that it's not thanksgiving I'm Canadian we do it on a different weekend I put this in an SU and people were real confused)

We celebrated on Sunday because its as easier to schedule and we had turkey and ham and stuffing and mashed potatoes at my uncles trailer. There were so many people and so many potatoes that they boiled them outside in a huge bucket and it was really funny. The leaves were red and my cousin's cats were insane and it was great.

2 minutes ago, The Sibling said:

Thanksgiving was great! (Please no one tell me that it's not thanksgiving I'm Canadian we do it on a different weekend I put this in an SU and people were real confused)

We celebrated on Sunday because its as easier to schedule and we had turkey and ham and stuffing and mashed potatoes at my uncles trailer. There were so many people and so many potatoes that they boiled them outside in a huge bucket and it was really funny. The leaves were red and my cousin's cats were insane and it was great.

That sounds awesome! I'm a quarter Canadian, we're celebrating thanksgiving today with some of our neighbors! It's gonna be awesome.

15 hours ago, Ravenclawjedi42 said:

Ookla season’s in a month and a half. I’m excited! I have my username planned out, it’s not particularly inspirational or anything, but I like it.

SOMEONE please tell me what Ookla season is?

22 minutes ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

SOMEONE please tell me what Ookla season is?

Okay so around Brandon's birthday and Peter Ahlstrom's birthday everyone change their username to Ookla the -----, for example mine last year was Ookla the Sibling (not very creative but whatever) and that's kind of the whole thing. It gets real confusing because everyone's names are different but people change their member titles to clarify who they are. Before the season starts, make sure you haven't changed your username in a while, because there's a limit to how often you can change it in a certain time frame and you don't want to be stuck as an Ookla.

7 minutes ago, The Sibling said:

Okay so around Brandon's birthday and Peter Ahlstrom's birthday everyone change their username to Ookla the -----, for example mine last year was Ookla the Sibling (not very creative but whatever) and that's kind of the whole thing. It gets real confusing because everyone's names are different but people change their member titles to clarify who they are. Before the season starts, make sure you haven't changed your username in a while, because there's a limit to how often you can change it in a certain time frame and you don't want to be stuck as an Ookla.

Okay then! Thanks!

21 minutes ago, The Sibling said:

i mean, it might be funny to be stuck as an Ookla :P and also, keep your PFP the same. I don't, but everyone knows who I am based on my characters and occasionally my signature/title.