Insanity Clinic: Season Two

Medium

13 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

“How’s leave treating you?”

Just now, The Aspiring Archivist said:

"It's... interesting."

Addison watched them silently, still very unsure of her place in all this.

5 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

"It's... interesting."

“A good way or a bad way?”

4 minutes ago, Weaver of Lights said:

Addison watched them silently, still very unsure of her place in all this.

Tal smiled and waved her over. 

5 minutes ago, Weaver of Lights said:

She hesitantly joined them.

“Lerac, Addison. Addison, Lerac.”

3 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

"I don't know. It's nice not carrying the aura of Death along with the healing thing."

“I believe it…an aura of Death sounds thoroughly unpleasant. Have you met Addison?”

5 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

"I don't know. It's nice not carrying the aura of Death along with the healing thing."

1 minute ago, Edema Rue said:

“Lerac, Addison. Addison, Lerac.”

“I believe it…an aura of Death sounds thoroughly unpleasant. Have you met Addison?”

“Hi Lerac.” She didn’t look at either of them. She also didn’t shake his hand.

Edited by Weaver of Lights

1 minute ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

"I haven't." He held out a hand to shake.

Just now, Weaver of Lights said:

“Hi Lerac.” She didn’t look at either of them. She also didn’t shake his hand.

After a beat, Tal said, “So…lovely weather?”

Just now, Weaver of Lights said:

“I guess.”

He snorted. “Stars and spirits above, I’m bad at small talk. We’re in a basement.”

Aventine examined the dagger in the hallway. On some level, she knew that it would only “exist” when and if she wanted it to. She mentally began preparing herself to use it.

@Cash67

1 hour ago, Spark of Hope said:

Aventine examined the dagger in the hallway. On some level, she knew that it would only “exist” when and if she wanted it to. She mentally began preparing herself to use it.

@Cash67

Waiting for Shortcake

Pic turned to Lundyn. “I think Tal is done for now,” he hummed. “Would you like to explore a new world with Aventine and me?”

@shortcake

On 4/5/2024 at 9:36 AM, Edema Rue said:

Tal watched their conversation and gritted his teeth, trying to keep from saying anything, knowing that something different would come out.

Lundyn… The voice only cackled louder. 

Lundyn shivers, not from being cold, but out of fear of the voice.

23 hours ago, Cash67 said:

Pic gave her a strained smile. 

Pic's humming intesified, and the staves between the two began to pulse. 

21 hours ago, Edema Rue said:

Tal nodded. Head bowed, he started speaking, and then the words tumbled out, too fast and yet not fast enough. “On…on my world, magic isn’t a secret. Everyone knows that it exists. It chooses its servants young; never older than 15, sometimes as young as five or six. It usually manifests as little tricks, at first. Magic gives before it takes. You can suddenly light a fire without matches, and it’s wonderful, and then all at once your town is in flames and you can’t stop it and-” He stopped. “That’s not how it was for me. It took a while to understand, but it feeds on two different kinds of destruction. Internal, and external. The magic it gifts you with is based on the kind of destruction you’ll be able to do more thoroughly. It only wants the most efficient servants, see.” Eyes closed, Tal fell back into another time. Into a sturdy cabin in the woods, into a place where, just for a while, all was well. The only time he’d ever tried to understand the magic that had ruined his life…and Ace’s. 

“My magic was always more internal. At first, it was wonderful. I was so young…I didn’t realize what was happening…I could ask my parents for anything, and they’d listen. They’d do what I said. And then I started to hurt them, and I didn’t want to but I did it anyway. When they realized that I had the magic, they took me to the city and left me. That’s how it works. Magicians, sorcerers, witches, we had hundreds of names. I survived. When I got older, I started working as a mercenary. That’s what most of us do. Find a place where you can feed the magic, try to survive. And then…” he blinked, remembering where he was. “I met Ace.” A faint smile danced across his lips, a sparkle returned to his eye. For a moment, he looked more alive than they’d ever seen him. 

“Her magic was external. Fiery. She…she destroyed her town. Killed her entire family. For years, she couldn’t even remember her own name. I met her on a job. She was trying to kill the man I was working for. I caught her. Then let her out. We met on various other jobs, now and then. Then all at once we started working as partners.” A bitter chuckle. “I should have known better than to get close to someone. Sometimes it worked. We were almost people…but we were always puppets.” Tal’s eyes were wet. “Always dancing to the tune of this thing that lived inside us. I hurt her so badly…I tried. I tried so hard, but when she was at her weakest, it would overcome me. I broke her heart, again and again. But we kept trying.”

“We shouldn’t have.”

Tal stood up abruptly, pounding a fist into the wall. “A friend of ours, someone we met on jobs, it overcame him. He started to love the destruction. He looked for more power and he found it. I don’t know how. He was killing so many people…I would have let him. I’m no hero. The magic was letting us be, it didn’t need us so much anymore. But Ace was…she always thought so much of everyone else. She insisted that we save them. He was too strong for either of us, so…she passed her magic to me. I told you that you need to know someone better than you know yourself for the magic to be passed between you.” He shrugged. “I knew her so well. We went, but he…he caught her. She was fatally injured. I was so full of magic. I could have saved her. But she…she just begged me not to waste it on her. To use it to kill him.” Slowly, Tal sat back down. He blinked rapidly. “I don’t need your pity. But…there it is. I have two types of powerful magic inside me, and so it can control me completely.”

19 hours ago, Cash67 said:

"Now?"

@shortcake

19 hours ago, Cash67 said:

Pic keeps humming, glancing from her, to Lundyn, to Tal a couple of times. 

18 hours ago, Spark of Hope said:

9 hours ago, Cash67 said:

Pic turned to Lundyn. “I think Tal is done for now,” he hummed. “Would you like to explore a new world with Aventine and me?”

@shortcake

sorry I took so long to respond, yesterday was a busy day for me

"Sure," Lundyn's focus changed from Tal and the voice over to Pic and Aventine.

1 hour ago, shortcake said:

Lundyn shivers, not from being cold, but out of fear of the voice.

"Sure," Lundyn's focus changed from Tal and the voice over to Pic and Aventine.

Pic holds out his hand. “Let’s go follow Aventine, then,” he hums. 

14 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

“Sarcasm, my friend.” 

Pic turns to Tal. “Stay safe, friend.”

@Spark of Hope

1 hour ago, Cash67 said:

Pic holds out his hand. “Let’s go follow Aventine, then,” he hums. 

Pic turns to Tal. “Stay safe, friend.”

@Spark of Hope

1 hour ago, shortcake said:

Lundyn grabs Pic's hand and walks with him.

She stood in the hallway holding the dagger. Its hilt was on one hand, and the tip rested on her other palm. She turned to look at them when she heard their footsteps echo on the stone floor.