How Zellion can seeming elsecall?

TheWanderer

So, I finished the Sunlit Man early this morning and one thing kept gnawing at my brain. Throughout the story both Zellion and Aux are consistently referencing their skip capacity. When it is finally used at the end of the novel it takes Zellion to the cognitive realm akin to an Elsecaller. Now, initially I wanted to chalk this up to some sort of side effect of the dawnshard or perhaps an investiture hack taught to Zellion by Hoid. However, Hoid held the dawnshard longer and he is now a full radiant with a living spren. Furthermore, for quite awhile he has been using perpendicularities to travel the cosmere. So, how is Zellion seemingly able to enter the cognitive realm with only a surplus of investiture while his former master cannot?
Unfortunately, I was stumped, but I would love to theorize with everyone what may be going on. 

I could have sworn that the book says that this skipping is a leftover effect of the Dawnshard. Think it might have been in the first chapter.

As for why Hoid is not skipping: 1. He is not on the run, his protections have been mentioned a number of times, and I suspect he has put wards in place to avoid the night Brigade. And 2. It costs a lot of investiture, and may just not be economical for Hoid.

It was named to be a remnant from the Dawnshard in the climax. (TSM Ch 52)

Spoiler

In that moment, Zellion activated his Torment, using the huge store of power the Cinder King had prepared for him. Skipping away from the planet, out into the cosmere.

As far as we know, it does not send him into Shadesmar - he Elsecalls directly to another planet. This is possibly one way that Hoid was showing up in places where he needed to be, but without knowing why he needed to be there - the Skip may take him somewhere based on Fortune, and only after arriving do they need to piece together why they need to be where they are. Which, if this method was used by Hoid, may explain why he prefers perpendiculariteis - if Skipping does not allow one to control their destination. 

Spoiler

Questioner

I know Hoid jumps around and meets various people that are very influential in the various books. I'm curious as to how he knows who he needs to meet, how's he lead to them.

Brandon Sanderson

This is a RAFO, but it is a question you're supposed to be asking-- You know what a RAFO is?

Questioner

No.

Brandon Sanderson

It means Read and Find Out. If you watch at the end of this book he's not always certain why he needs to be where he needs to be. So there is some measure-- something is going on here but it is not made clear yet and I don't want to clear it up with you quite yet.

Words of Radiance Seattle signing (March 8, 2014)

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

9 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

So, I finished the Sunlit Man early this morning and one thing kept gnawing at my brain. Throughout the story both Zellion and Aux are consistently referencing their skip capacity. When it is finally used at the end of the novel it takes Zellion to the cognitive realm akin to an Elsecaller. Now, initially I wanted to chalk this up to some sort of side effect of the dawnshard or perhaps an investiture hack taught to Zellion by Hoid. However, Hoid held the dawnshard longer and he is now a full radiant with a living spren. Furthermore, for quite awhile he has been using perpendicularities to travel the cosmere. So, how is Zellion seemingly able to enter the cognitive realm with only a surplus of investiture while his former master cannot?
Unfortunately, I was stumped, but I would love to theorize with everyone what may be going on. 

Not elsecalling just conection 

7 hours ago, bmcclure7 said:

Not elsecalling just conection 

Well, Skipping is Elsecalling (possibly using connection) in the same sense as:

Spoiler

Argent

There's smoke involved, there's eating of souls, there's a whole bunch of things. So what I do want to ask is: one, was the father machine Awakened using Breaths, using Nalthian Awakening? Or are you using Awakening as Lightweaving or Bondsmithing which is an overarching system in the Cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

It's the second. This wouldn't exist in the pre-space-age as much; by space age there's a certain terminology that is going between... basically it's starting with the arcanists and moving to the general population. What certain themes in the Cosmere magics mean. And so when Hoid says "this is an Awakened machine" his audience understands what that means. It does not necessarily mean Breaths Awaken, but Breaths are one of the main ways that people see things be Awakened.

Brandon Sanderson

So one other thing to keep aware of in the cosmere - for instance they call "Lightweaving" any illusion-based magic working on the same fundamentals. And so you could argue - and people will use it that way in-world - that Bondsmithing is both an order [of Knights Radiant] and a power that exists outside the order.

Argent

And that would be maybe the power of Connection, the way Lightweaving is the power of illusion?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. And for instance, there were not Elsecallers to get people between Ashyn and Roshar, but on Roshar they would explain what happened there as Elsecalling. Does that make sense?

Argent

I mean, as much as these things make sense, yes.

It's not the Rosharan Surge of Transportation, but it is a usage of investiture on the same principals that can be called "Elsecalling" in the same generalized sense as other principals as terms for usages of investiture become standardized.

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

I agree with the others, This is connection. We know so little about the dawnshards still that this is basically all speculation but as I understand it when sigzil held the dawnshard he formed a connection to the spiritual realm which means he is connected to the whole of the cosmere similar to the shards. He isn’t elsecalling he is jumping to another point. It isn’t something he can directly control. Hoid said that he went where he was needed or something along those lines.

It might also be tied to Fortune which is another thing we know very little about. Either way not a normal magic