Issues after 2023 site upgrade

Paleo

For members I follow, I used to be able to only select status updates as things I would get notifications for. Now, it's either all or nothing. A few of the people I follow are very active in the RP section, and I would rather not have several hundred notifications every time I log on in the morning. Is this just me not knowing the new site or am I not able to see only SUs as a notification?

42 minutes ago, Chaos said:

This is the feedback thread, in my opinion, don't take the name too seriously. There are a lot of settings we can do, but do note we will be very cautious at altering the actual site functionality to make site updates easy in the future. The previous one was too customized, which lead to issues.

Copy all, thank you very much. My (current) top three:

- Report post. If any of the features should not be hidden in a hamburger menu, I feel like this is the one.

- Upvote count (good to hear it's already on the radar)

- Private Message editing  - when any other post is edited, it edits in-place. . . why oh why does editing a PM that has a quote or spoiler box redirect to another "edit" page that won't let you see the conversation around it?

Thank you all very much for all of your hard work. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help (testing a specific feature, updating a reference, whatever).

Have a great day.

3 minutes ago, The cheeseman said:

For members I follow, I used to be able to only select status updates as things I would get notifications for. Now, it's either all or nothing. A few of the people I follow are very active in the RP section, and I would rather not have several hundred notifications every time I log on in the morning. Is this just me not knowing the new site or am I not able to see only SUs as a notification?

Maybe this? 

image.png

2 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Copy all, thank you very much. My (current) top three:

- Report post. If any of the features should not be hidden in a hamburger menu, I feel like this is the one.

- Upvote count (good to hear it's already on the radar)

- Private Message editing  - when any other post is edited, it edits in-place. . . why oh why does editing a PM that has a quote or spoiler box redirect to another "edit" page that won't let you see the conversation around it?

Thank you all very much for all of your hard work. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help (testing a specific feature, updating a reference, whatever).

Have a great day.

I imagine maybe Report could be moved, but this is kind of just how the site works now. 

As for PM editing, that must also just be how the site works now, and is almost assuredly not possible for us to change if we wanted to.

21 minutes ago, The cheeseman said:

For me it’s only status updates I get notified for, still.

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Maybe screencap your notification settings for cheeseman so they can recreate it :) 

In checking my settings, I noticed this, likely why I don’t get those notifications:

Spoiler

05D1B79F-3E5A-43F8-B54B-B01E50030C4D.thumb.png.52b2a90921b0129eb6c97908ab55ca2e.png

In followed members neither notification list or email is checked. So if you do this, it should work and you stop getting notifications. @The cheeseman 

Also, I’m pretty sure that now when you’re pinging someone it shows more active users first, which is very useful. Thank you, mods, for adding that feature.

2 minutes ago, Ravenclawjedi42 said:

In checking my settings, I noticed this, likely why I don’t get those notifications:

Reveal hidden contents

05D1B79F-3E5A-43F8-B54B-B01E50030C4D.thumb.png.52b2a90921b0129eb6c97908ab55ca2e.png

In followed members neither notification list or email is checked. So if you do this, it should work and you stop getting notifications. @The cheeseman 

Also, I’m pretty sure that now when you’re pinging someone it shows more active users first, which is very useful. Thank you, mods, for adding that feature.

Not that if you typed my first letter that would matter. 🥷

*sad that I could no longer use the old one*

Two things about rep: 

Do we ever see of others have repped a post? 

On a persons profile, after 1000 rep, will it no longer be the exact number?

this new “achievements” thing on our profiles looks fun, how customizable is that system, and are we actually gonna use it? Can staff create achievements for all sorts of things? because if we are capable of tracking specific statistics i have ideas for some fun ones.

first thing that came to mind was an achievement for each year you’ve been a member. like a “one year” achievement and then a “two year” one etc etc. 

also more specific things that might not actually be possible to track but would be fun, like “create a thread in the ___ category that gets more than 100 replies!” and tiered versions for those too, like 100 replies, 200 replies, 500 replies. 

basically i want to gameify the forums and then 100% it lol

2 minutes ago, dannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnex said:

this new “achievements” thing on our profiles looks fun, how customizable is that system, and are we actually gonna use it? Can staff create achievements for all sorts of things? because if we are capable of tracking specific statistics i have ideas for some fun ones.

first thing that came to mind was an achievement for each year you’ve been a member. like a “one year” achievement and then a “two year” one etc etc. 

also more specific things that might not actually be possible to track but would be fun, like “create a thread in the ___ category that gets more than 100 replies!” and tiered versions for those too, like 100 replies, 200 replies, 500 replies. 

There is a thread for these in general discussion too.

2 minutes ago, dannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnex said:

Or achievements for high-rep single posts??

12 minutes ago, Ravenclawjedi42 said:

Just to be clear, it's built into the software. We didn't design it!

6 minutes ago, ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ said:

Not that if you typed my first letter that would matter. 🥷

*sad that I could no longer use the old one*

Two things about rep: 

Do we ever see of others have repped a post? 

On a persons profile, after 1000 rep, will it no longer be the exact number?

The old ninja is under Emoticons.

3 minutes ago, dannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnex said:

We haven't looked into it too much. We'll see! 

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

This is actually how it will work now due to some background stuff.

That is rather unfortunate it saved me a lot of time while navigating.

Since the last post I noticed the black button in the top left hand that takes you back one bracket, could that go straight to the forums rather than just back one step? Or at the very least some way to quickly get back to the forums page.

Because going from a thread in say the Cosmere discussion to say Sanderson Elimination is a lot easier when I can go straight to the forums page rather than: Thread<Cosmere Discussion< Cosmere Forums< Forums page.

3 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Since the last post I noticed the black button in the top left hand that takes you back one bracket, could that go straight to the forums rather than just back one step? Or at the very least some way to quickly get back to the forums page.

You know it's in the sidebar, right? :) 

2 hours ago, Experience said:

So there's an option to hide a post when posting it. Is there some function with this that I'm just not thinking of? It seems somewhat useless.

2 hours ago, shortcake said:

i think it's basicaly how we delete a post.

at least, that's what it was before the update.

I don;t know about the Admin's perspective, but I've mostly seen "Hide" as a way to expunge an accidental double-post. In fact, in my updated tips and tools I wrote this:

Spoiler

Hide Tool:

• Use the Hide tool to hide your post if you want to remove it after posting (useful for accidental double-posts)
    • Hiding the first post in a Thread will hide the thread as long as ther have been no replies (Needs Testing)

Here is my entire tips and tricks (I use it when responding to new people - like this - note: example is from old forum version)

Spoiler
8 hours ago, Treamayne said:
  • At the bottom left of a post you will see a "+" icon, a "Quote" link.
  • At the bottom right you will see an heart icon (and possibly different reactions in the future).
  • At the top right you will see a hamburger menu (three dots) which shows: Report, Share, and (your posts only) Edit and Hide tools.

Likes/Reactions:

Spoiler
  • The Heart Icon (Like) is how you thank people or "like" a post
    • Likes, Mentions and Quotes should all send an alert to the appropriate person - even when added to an old post through the Edit feature.

Report Tool:

Spoiler
  • Use  the Report tool to report any post (your own or others) to a forum Mod
    • Use this if you do accidentally double-post (sometimes it's the browser or a slow link that causes a double post) - just leave a message that it was an accidental double post and the Mods can fix it. If it was the first post of a new thread that doubled, they usually can merge the threads if they both have answers, so all of the content is retained.
    • For reporting Spam, only report a single post by the user to let the Mods and Admins know - they get messages for each "report" so reporting each Spam post is annoying and unnecessary. If all posts by a "new user" (bot) are all spam - then all of those posts will be deleted when that account is deleted.

Hide Tool:

Spoiler
  • Use the Hide tool to hide your post if you want to remove it after posting (useful for accidental double-posts)
    • Hiding the first post in a Thread will hide the thread as long as ther have been no replies (Needs Testing)

Mentions:

Spoiler
  • You can "Mention" a person by typing "@" and slowly typing their user name (spelling matters). As you spell their name, the interface will show a pop-up with matches - when you match appears, click it to add the Mention
    • Likes, Mentions and Quotes should all send an alert to the appropriate person - even when added to an old post through the Edit feature.

Quote Methods:

Spoiler
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is (adding a carraige return if necessary)
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you can click that for each post you want to quote
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically with one blank line between each for you to add your comment(s)
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote Selection" button that pops up.
    • This will also be added to the cursor location, rather than the bottom of the reply.
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .
    • This is also how you can add quotes to an Edit of your own post. You quote using any of the methods above and the quote will go to the reply section. You then hover over the four-way arrow and use CTRL+C to cut the quote, which you can then paste into your edit window.

Editing posts:

Spoiler
  • Use the Edit link to make changes to a completed post or add information to your post if it is the most recent (to avoid double posting)
    • Quote buttons will still send a quote to "Reply" if you have a post open for edit, but it is easy to cut/paste the quote to the Edit box
    • Editing the first post in a thread allows the thread-creator to edit the thread title (important for changing accidental spoilers)
    • Editing allows you to add a reason for the edit (Spelling and grammar (SPAG), formatting, clarification, new information, etc.), but it is not required.

Other:

Spoiler
  • Quotes and Spoilers are very similar, but here are the differences:
    • Spoiler tags are default "closed" and are not attributed - they may be opened by clicking the spoiler box title
    • Quotes are default "open" (but may be closed by clicking the Quote Title and are denoted by the basic arrow icon on the left side of the quote title), If the quote was added with one of the methods explained below, it will be attributed - if it was added with the quote icon in the Reply/Edit tools, it will not be attributed.
    • Attributed Quotes will have a curved arrow icon on the rigth side of the quote title to jump directly to the post from which the quote was taken.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

2 hours ago, Experience said:

So there's an option to hide a post when posting it. Is there some function with this that I'm just not thinking of? It seems somewhat useless.

Posting a post that only a mod can see? That's the only thing I can think of and it's probably unintentional. 

Is there any way we can see the name of the "Next unread topic"? The topic listing would be nice too, but not as important. We could on the old version and I know that I would use that to gage if I wanted to go or not, not necessary, but helpful.

8 minutes ago, Aeoryi said:

Same

Also where is the search bar? I can't find it anywhere 

It's in the same space it was on both mobile and desktop as before, at the top.

29 minutes ago, The Known Novel said:

Is there any way we can see the name of the "Next unread topic"? The topic listing would be nice too, but not as important. We could on the old version and I know that I would use that to gage if I wanted to go or not, not necessary, but helpful.

Yeah, I don't know why Invision changed that. 

I've seen this brought up already, but I haven't seen it resolved. I don't seem to be getting SU notifications for people I follow unless I check a notification option to that notifies me for every once of their posts. Chaos pointed out one setting, but that just has to do with notifications for replies to your SUs or ones you already replied to.