I'm reading Wax & Wayne for the first time

Ale the Metallic Conjurer

Posted (edited)

Hiiii. So I'm finally back on this site. Reading The Lost Metal has taken me way longer than it should have. But I am ALMOST DONEEEE!!! My Mistborn journey is almost complete!

While away from this thread, I went overboard and gradually read up until chapter 65. This book is so, so good.

Not-Wax and not-Wayne are finally dead. Autonomy’s perpendicularity is destroyed, her army frozen in supercharged time, the Community rescued. Looks like all of Independence Tower’s military are either dead or left. 

All that’s left is Trell. Wax and Wayne have finally made it to the mesa.

Edited by Ale the Metallic Conjurer

On 6/15/2024 at 2:26 AM, Ale the Metallic Conjurer said:

But I really hope I can get through Lost Metal and Warbreaker sometime soon.

6 hours ago, Ale the Metallic Conjurer said:

Reading The Lost Metal has taken me way longer than it should have. But I am ALMOST DONEEEE!!! My Mistborn journey is almost complete!

Welcome back. Were you also able to read Warbreaker during the intermission. If not, will that be next?

Glad you are enjoying the book so far, and I hope that continues through the end. Also, what do you think of Steris so far (or by the end if yo ufinish before replying)?

I've finished The Lost Metal, and with it my journey through the Mistborn Saga has come to the close. And it ends with a bang.

The Lost Metal is a lovely book. This was a really fun, action packed book that built upon the characters we all know and love. Wayne, Marasi, Steris, the Ghostbloods, even Kelsier and Sazed were written really well. I still don't like Wax as much as them, but he's still great. It did this while giving us a lot of mystery and tension to look forward to in era 3. I’m excited to see where Kel and Saze’s plans end up, what Autonomy has in store, and how our lovely quartet will impact the world to come.

But it's not a flawless book. In my opinion, its relative lack of conclusion brings it down compared to The Hero of Ages. My key issue is The Lost Metal feels like a setup for the Southern Continent and cosmere heavy conflict of era 3, as well as setup for Sazed becoming Discord (and they shall love him for it). We didn't get any answers about the Bands of Mourning, ReLuur's pewter spike, Excisors, unkeyed metalminds or medallions.

The Lost Metal raised a lot more questions than answers. To the point I can barely form theories. I'm more confused about the Bands of Mourning's existence than ever before. If Kelsier didn’t have Allomancy or Feruchemy, who created them and how? Who created the Excisors and how? Why did Kelsier hide the Bands? Who drained them?

What was up with the Set having Faceless Immortals??? Doesn't this mean Autonomy still has influence on Scadrial, or did she withdraw them along with the army??? We don't know smh. We barely know what the army was.

This all makes me wish this book took place in the Southern Continent. Allik is an irritating flaw as well. He's just there, and I don't feel the same chemistry as Wax/Steris or Vin/Elend. I think we should've gotten a buddy secret agent team with Allik, Marasi, and the Ghostbloods.

The cosmere stuff is great. I'm sad we didn't get as many answers, but it's more understandable than those related to the Southern Continent. Especially with Autonomy being the main threat. I suppose other Cosmere books and Era 3 will answer my interest in Odium, the dark aether, and whatever other "pieces" are moving in the cosmere.

I'm already grieving for Wayne. RIP Wayne. You were the god damn hero. You made the biggest damn explosion ever. 😭💔

12 hours ago, Ale the Metallic Conjurer said:

Spoiler

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952zji7tzyabn6d69k8bt

Well - reading order thread here.

Checklist:

Rough Cosmere Internal Timeline

*Note the reading order does not match the internal timeline - (Not published)

• Dragonsteel
  • White Sand
  • Elantris
    • Hope of Elantris
    • Emperor's Soul
  • Mistborn Era 1
  • Warbreaker
  • Stormlight Archive Cycle 1 (Books 1-5)
    • The Way of Kings
    • Words of Radiance
      • Edgedancer
    • Oathbringer
      • Dawnshard
    • Rhythm of War
    • SA5
  • Mistborn Era 2
  • Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell
  • Stormlight Archive Cycle 2 (Books 6-10)
  • Mistborn Era 3
  • Silverlight Essays (from Arcanum Unbounded)
  • Sixth of the Dusk
  • SP5
  • The Sunlit Man (not definitive - most likely shortly before or after Sixth - confirmed before Yumi)
  • Yumi and the Nightmare Painter (not definitive - most likely shortly before or after Sixth - likely before Tress)
  • Tress of the Emerald Sea (not definitive - most likely shortly before or after Sixth)
  • Mistborn Era 4

I think you said you also read Elantris (but I'm not sure enough to mark it off). 

Considerations on choosing "what comes next":

Spoiler

The first three in any order based on reader's preference on the action-politics scale:

1. Mistborn Era 1
    1. The Final Empire
    2. Well of Ascension
    3. Hero of Ages
    4. The Eleventh Metal (Short Story) takes place before The Final Empire - but may be read after the Trilogy)
  2. Warbreaker
  3. Elantris
    1. Hope of Elantris (Short Story) - anytime after finishing Elantris
  4. The Emperor's Soul - should always be next after those three in any order - this is the best introduction to understanding some of the fundamentals of how different series are related and connect

Followed by these caveates for the remaining works

• Stormlight Archive
    • Read at least Warbreaker and Mistborn Era 1 before starting this
    • Can fit other works between SA novels if you like to switch things up and not tackle 4 1000+ page books in a row
    • Note that if you prefer Audio or eBook, the books contain some amazing and important art that you may miss in audio or only see well with an eBook on PC (but can also be found on Coppermind Art Pages)
  • Mistborn: Secret History
    • Do not read before Bands of Mourning (Spoilers)
  • White Sand (prose or graphic novel/omnibus just released on the Dynamite website)
    • Anytime after The Emperor's Soul
    • Read before Rhythm of War
    • Non-canon unpublished Prose version available by joining the newsletter) - The forum section discusses differences to Canon Graphic Novel
  • Allow of Law
  • Mistborn Era 2 Trilogy 
    • Shadows of Self - Anytime after Alloy of Law
    • Bands of Mourning - Anytime after Shadows of Self
    • The Lost Metal - Do not read before Rhythm of War (Spoilers)
  • Sixth of the Dusk (novella)
    • Anytime after The Emperor's Soul (Highly recommend the Shadows Beneath version*)
  • Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell (novella)
    • Read before Oathbringer
  • Silverlight Essays (from the section headers in Arcanum Unbounded)
    • Each essay should be read after reading at least the primary work for that "world"
    • If you want to read them all together, read at least Mistborn Era 1, Allow of Law, Elantris, the Way of Kings then you can read all of them in Arcanum Unbounded and read the Novellas (except below) there paired with their essay
      • Edgedancer comes after Words of Radiance
      • Mistborn: Secret History has spoilers for Bands of Mourning
  • Tress of the Emerald Sea
    • Anytime after The Emperor's Soul and Sixth of the Dusk
  • Yumi and the Nightmare Painter
    • Do not read before Oathbringer (Spoilers)
  • The Sunlit Man
    • Do not read before Shadows for Silence in theForests of Hell
    • Recommended after Rhythm of War and The Lost Metal (Spoilers/Context)

Hope that helps

Edited by Treamayne
Format

3 hours ago, alder24 said:

@Ale the Metallic Conjurer 

Hide contents

Stormlight Archive:

Well Hello There GIFs | GIFDB.com

Good guess. That's coming after Warbreaker. I'm actually thinking of making a reading thread for Stormlight. Hopefully, it works out MUCH better than this one.

1 hour ago, Treamayne said:

Well - reading order thread here.

Checklist:

Rough Cosmere Internal Timeline

*Note the reading order does not match the internal timeline - (Not published)

• Dragonsteel
  • White Sand
  • Elantris
    • Hope of Elantris
    • Emperor's Soul
  • Mistborn Era 1
  • Warbreaker
  • Stormlight Archive Cycle 1 (Books 1-5)
    • The Way of Kings
    • Words of Radiance
      • Edgedancer
    • Oathbringer
      • Dawnshard
    • Rhythm of War
    • SA5
  • Mistborn Era 2
  • Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell
  • Stormlight Archive Cycle 2 (Books 6-10)
  • Mistborn Era 3
  • Silverlight Essays (from Arcanum Unbounded)
  • Sixth of the Dusk
  • SP5
  • The Sunlit Man (not definitive - most likely shortly before or after Sixth - confirmed before Yumi)
  • Yumi and the Nightmare Painter (not definitive - most likely shortly before or after Sixth - likely before Tress)
  • Tress of the Emerald Sea (not definitive - most likely shortly before or after Sixth)
  • Mistborn Era 4

I think you said you also read Elantris (but I'm not sure enough to mark it off). 

Considerations on choosing "what comes next":

Reveal hidden contents

The first three in any order based on reader's preference on the action-politics scale:

1. Mistborn Era 1
    1. The Final Empire
    2. Well of Ascension
    3. Hero of Ages
    4. The Eleventh Metal (Short Story) takes place before The Final Empire - but may be read after the Trilogy)
  2. Warbreaker
  3. Elantris
    1. Hope of Elantris (Short Story) - anytime after finishing Elantris
  4. The Emperor's Soul - should always be next after those three in any order - this is the best introduction to understanding some of the fundamentals of how different series are related and connect

Followed by these caveates for the remaining works

• Stormlight Archive
    • Read at least Warbreaker and Mistborn Era 1 before starting this
    • Can fit other works between SA novels if you like to switch things up and not tackle 4 1000+ page books in a row
    • Note that if you prefer Audio or eBook, the books contain some amazing and important art that you may miss in audio or only see well with an eBook on PC (but can also be found on Coppermind Art Pages)
  • Mistborn: Secret History
    • Do not read before Bands of Mourning (Spoilers)
  • White Sand (prose or graphic novel/omnibus just released on the Dynamite website)
    • Read before Rhythm of War
    • Non-canon unpublished Prose version available by joining the newsletter) - The forum section discusses differences to Canon Graphic Novel
  • Allow of Law
  • Mistborn Era 2 Trilogy 
    • Shadows of Self - Anytime after Alloy of Law
    • Bands of Mourning - Anytime after Shadows of Self
    • The Lost Metal - Do not read before Rhythm of War (Spoilers)
  • Sixth of the Dusk (novella)
    • Anytime after The Emperor's Soul (Highly recommend the Shadows Beneath version*)
  • Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell (novella)
    • Read before Oathbringer
  • Silverlight Essays (from the section headers in Arcanum Unbounded)
    • Each essay should be read after reading at least the primary work for that "world"
    • If you want to read them all together, read at least Mistborn Era 1, Allow of Law, Elantris, the Way of Kings then you can read all of them in Arcanum Unbounded and read the Novellas (except below) there paired with their essay
      • Edgedancer comes after Words of Radiance
      • Mistborn: Secret History has spoilers for Bands of Mourning
  • Tress of the Emerald Sea
  • Yumi and the Nightmare Painter
    • Do not read before Oathbringer (Spoilers)
  • The Sunlit Man
    • Do not read before Shadows for Silence in theForests of Hell
    • Recommended after Rhythm of War and The Lost Metal (Spoilers/Context)

Hope that helps

I tried to put my read Cosmere works in About Me, but I guess no one sees them 😭

I've read all Mistborn stories, Elantris, Emperor's Soul, and the essays for Sel and Scadrial. I'm reading Warbreaker next, then finally The Stormlight Archive.

7 hours ago, Ale the Metallic Conjurer said:

I tried to put my read Cosmere works in About Me, but I guess no one sees them

That's on me - I was just too lazy and in a hurry. I knew I had checked before and decided to go off of memory rather then check again because the hounds were begging to go out, making too much noise, and my mother had already gone to bed. Besides, now you can steal the list and use it to "cross off" works as you finish them.

If you need them, Warbreaker annotations are found here

Food for thought while reading (not really spoilery for plot, maybe slightly spoilery for tone):

Spoiler

Warbreaker annotations:

With Warbreaker, one of the main things I’m trying to do is contrast it to Mistborn. To do something different, something that harkens a little more back to Elantris, with its three very different viewpoints. . . 

<snip>

Following Mistborn, I wanted to do a book set in a place that looked very different from the Final Empire. What’s different from a burned-out wasteland? Why, a tropical paradise of course!

<snip>

After writing Mistborn, I became increasingly intrigued with the idea of a complete reversal book—a book that did things very differently from the way I’d done them before.

Siri Sees the God King

. . . 

The driving force behind this, actually, is the Lord Ruler. In Mistborn, a part of me always felt that he was just a little too stereotypical an evil emperor. True, I worked hard to round him out, particularly through the later books. But writing him made me want to take an evil emperor archetype in a very different direction.

Also. . . slight backgrond spoiler

Spoiler

Warbreaker is the home of the OG Cosmere Mystery - somewhere in these pages is the very brief cameo of the Terris Worldhopper

Spoiler

It was eventually figured out and confirmed by WoB

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

18 hours ago, Treamayne said:

That's on me - I was just too lazy and in a hurry. I knew I had checked before and decided to go off of memory rather then check again because the hounds were begging to go out, making too much noise, and my mother had already gone to bed. Besides, now you can steal the list and use it to "cross off" works as you finish them.

If you need them, Warbreaker annotations are found here

Food for thought while reading (not really spoilery for plot, maybe slightly spoilery for tone)

No worries! We all get preoccupied :)

Do you know how I can make a… what’s it called, a signature? I want to put my finished Cosmere works and hobbies at the bottom of the forum comment box.

I’m stealing your list, thanks good cosmerenaut!

2 minutes ago, Ale the Metallic Conjurer said:

Do you know how I can make a… what’s it called, a signature? I want to put my finished Cosmere works and hobbies at the bottom of the forum comment box.

• Your profile
  • Account Settings
  • Signature
    • Make sure you have the view turned on

Image:

Spoiler

Shard_Sig.jpg.db082d60003e53fd7c8b3f3c6a43e4d0.jpg

Hope that helps