Compounding copper

Xiahida

When a memory is stored in a coppermind it doesn't fade or change

Unless Ruin is plotting something

So what happens when you Compound it? My theory is the memories are made crisper and can then last longer. When you store a memory it is identical to when it was just in your head, and if you burn the metalmind you get more power than when you put in, so you get "more memories" or something so maybe you can save yourself the trouble of rememorizing dozens of book. 

1 minute ago, Xiahida said:

When a memory is stored in a coppermind it doesn't fade or change

So what happens when you Compound it? My theory is the memories are made crisper and can then last longer. When you store a memory it is identical to when it was just in your head, and if you burn the metalmind you get more power than when you put in, so you get "more memories" or something so maybe you can save yourself the trouble of rememorizing dozens of book. 

Well, Brandon is warning us that some time compounding doesn't really do much:

Spoiler

Questioner

And how does Copper compounding work? Memories can't really get (indistinct...)

Brandon Sanderson

Let's just say that some sorts of compounding are more effective than others.

Leipzig Book Fair (March 24, 2017)

Spoiler

FireArcadia

Is there any use to being a copper Compounder, from a Feruchemical point of view? I think the same point would also apply to an aluminum Compounder.

Brandon Sanderson

Some combinations, like some abilities themselves, aren't really that useful. That said, being able to Compound copper...that could do some things. Aluminum, not so much.

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 25, 2012)

I like your theory. Seems reasonable and simple.

• 1 month later...

I think compounding copper could be useful to make back up copper minds 

burn a memory and then you have let’s say 2 or 3 in your head. Store those in separate copper minds and now you can stash them in different places in case you lose the original. 

If we toss in unkeyed copper minds this could be useful to spread information but there are some hoops you have to jump through for that to work.

On 10/25/2023 at 7:44 AM, alder24 said:

Well, Brandon is warning us that some time compounding doesn't really do much:

Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

And how does Copper compounding work? Memories can't really get (indistinct...)

Brandon Sanderson

Let's just say that some sorts of compounding are more effective than others.

Leipzig Book Fair (March 24, 2017)

Reveal hidden contents

FireArcadia

Is there any use to being a copper Compounder, from a Feruchemical point of view? I think the same point would also apply to an aluminum Compounder.

Brandon Sanderson

Some combinations, like some abilities themselves, aren't really that useful. That said, being able to Compound copper...that could do some things. Aluminum, not so much.

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 25, 2012)

I like your theory. Seems reasonable and simple.

I totally get that some compounding is better than other compounding. Copper may be a worse off one.  

I am curious though how exactly copper works. I feel like Sazed always knew what was stored in his copperminds but he had to tap them to remember any specifics.  

If this is how it works then perhaps compounding would offer a better memory. Instead of losing that memory once it is compounded you can store it again while also retaining it. Perhaps the investiture unlocks some more permanent changes in giving you a near eidetic memory (my personal favorite trait in the entire Mistborn Adventure Game).  

I believe I remember Rashek being noted to have a perfect memory. Perhaps copper compounding is what allowed this to happen for him. Store everything in real-time into a metalmind and burn it again in real-time to have it locked into place forever?  

I'm still a fan of the theory that (SA Spoilers):

Spoiler

Compounding Copper would allow you to relive that memory like one of Dalinar's Visions in WoK/WoR.

After all:

1. F-Copper is storing a memory as investiture - then tapping to reconvert it to memory
  2. Compounding is fueling Feruchemy with Investiture directly from the Spiritual Realm
  3. Visions (at least some of them - the ones that do not follow linear time) are (most likely) a demense in the Spiritual Realm
  • Therefore, a Memory fueled by the Spiritual Realm will possibly be something like Dalinar's Visions

This would also have the side effect of refreshing your memory on the topic, since Sazed notes that accessing the same memory multiple times can degrade it.

1 hour ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

I believe I remember Rashek being noted to have a perfect memory. Perhaps copper compounding is what allowed this to happen for him. Store everything in real-time into a metalmind and burn it again in real-time to have it locked into place forever?

While I am pretty sure those references in TFE were meant as foreshadowing that TLR was Rashek, it would not surprise me at all if something like this was a Resonance for a Copper Twinborn.

• 4 weeks later...