Things I just learned

TheRavenHasLanded

• 2 months later...

SPAG = Spelling and Grammar (in the context of edits and fixes)

BLUF = Bottom Line Up Front (a TL;DR that comes before the post)

a/o = As of (usually a date)

TOW = The Other Wiki (a.k.a. Wikipedia - nickname borrowed from TVTropes)

IAW = in accordance with (following a rule, regulation or other objective guidance)

FYSA = For Your Situational Awareness (Something to know, but not necessarily required to take action)

IOW = In other words

• i.e. and e.g. are not synonyms. 
    • i.e. =  id est = “that is” - providing clarification (synonyms, rewording, or other means of clarifying meaning)
    • e.g. = exemplī grātiā = “for the sake of an example” - supplying an example of a given set
  • also
    • et cetera = etc. (not ect.) = meaning "and more (related) things" and is used for things. For people, please use
    • et alii = et al. = and other people

"Man" was originally gender-neutral - which may be why it forms the basis of so many species terms. The gendered pronouns from old English/Saxon (where all three derive) are:

• Wer = Man, Husband (modern derivitive examples: werewolf, wergild, etc.)
  • Wyf = Woman, Wife (modern derivitive example: wife)
Edited by Treamayne
SPAG/Updates

On 11/7/2023 at 7:25 PM, TheRavenHasLanded said:

ok, ill start: the abbreviation "ofc" means "of *beep* course" not just "of course"

I... didn't ever thought it could be anything else than "of course". Thanks, I guess?

I realized fairly recently that the "Bros" in Warner Bros was the same as in Super Mario Bros, and that it was the plural of bro (short for brother).

2 hours ago, Just a Silvereye said:

I... didn't ever thought it could be anything else than "of course". Thanks, I guess?

I realized fairly recently that the "Bros" in Warner Bros was the same as in Super Mario Bros, and that it was the plural of bro (short for brother).

Yes, its weird. also, i know know that i am not gonna use ofc with teachers lol.

6 hours ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

there is a difrence between ionic and covalent atomic bonding. and metallic is to difficult and confusing to be taught to my class at the moment.

I had never heard of metallic bonds until today, and I have studied chemistry for a while. I've looked up the wikipedia page, and this thing is indeed weird and really cool. So I learned something too today.

And it's the second time this kind of thing happens in this thread even though its still page one. Thanks everyone for posting and educating me!

(For the curious, the short version is: metallic positive ions are sharing electrons that belong to neither of them. Also the way it's organized is a crystalline structure with the positive ions making the crystal proper and a "soup" of free electrons between the ions.)

54 minutes ago, Just a Silvereye said:

(For the curious, the short version is: metallic positive ions are sharing electrons that belong to neither of them. Also the way it's organized is a crystalline structure with the positive ions making the crystal proper and a "soup" of free electrons between the ions.)

Oh so that would be why it’s so conducive.

• 4 months later...
On 1/26/2024 at 4:17 AM, Just a Silvereye said:

I had never heard of metallic bonds until today, and I have studied chemistry for a while. I've looked up the wikipedia page, and this thing is indeed weird and really cool. So I learned something too today.

And it's the second time this kind of thing happens in this thread even though its still page one. Thanks everyone for posting and educating me!

what's a TruthDancer?

*LE GASSSP*

YOU'RE READING LES MIS?!

YAY!!!

Edited by Anguished_One
LES MIS!!!! :O

2 minutes ago, Anguished_One said:

I'm reading your book, btw

it's good

but

Reveal hidden contents

I CAN'T READ IT FAST ENOUGH 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Haha, I'm going to post a new chapter right now! Actually I gotta turn in my schoolwork so in an hour.

Edited by BlueWildRye

9 hours ago, Anguished_One said:

what's a TruthDancer?

9 hours ago, BlueWildRye said:

Probably Truthwatcher Edgedancer hybrid

Yup, Truthwatcher with Edgedancer coloration.

Likewise, Huffleclaw is Hufflepuff with strong Ravenclaw coloration. (Although I have gotten every house as a result, but those are my favourites. )

9 hours ago, Anguished_One said:

*LE GASSSP*

YOU'RE READING LES MIS?!

YAY!!!

As a French person, you are legally obligated to read Les Misérables or you gotta eat just old bread and water for 19 years. 

Spoiler

Actually haven't touched it in a while now, life stuff interrupted me and I kinda never restarted

Spoiler

The tab is still open on my phone though...

Edited by Just a Silvereye

On 1/23/2024 at 10:28 PM, KelsierFortnite said:

There was a Roman Emperor named Pupienus, and his name is pronounced in the funniest way possible.

Poo-pee-ay-nus? 

(Latin student here who can't pronounce things)

13 hours ago, Just a Silvereye said:

Yup, Truthwatcher with Edgedancer coloration.

Likewise, Huffleclaw is Hufflepuff with strong Ravenclaw coloration. (Although I have gotten every house as a result, but those are my favourites. )

As a French person, you are legally obligated to read Les Misérables or you gotta eat just old bread and water for 19 years. 

Reveal hidden contents

Actually haven't touched it in a while now, life stuff interrupted me and I kinda never restarted

Hide contents

The tab is still open on my phone though...

...You're a French person??! 😱🤩