How to defend against shard plate, shard blades, wind runners, ect.

RJWB0mb

i thing this style of weaponery mabey the most effective but also the most difficult to actual hit the target. the speed and agility of a man in shard plate would be tricky to hit.

anyone know the technological advancements in gun powder?

and could a faberial be created to syphon away storm light?

i thing this style of weaponery mabey the most effective but also the most difficult to actual hit the target. the speed and agility of a man in shard plate would be tricky to hit.

anyone know the technological advancements in gun powder?

and could a faberial be created to syphon away storm light?

I wouldn't hold that a man in shardplate is necessarily agile enough to avoid half-a-dozen ballista bolts. As far as I recall, Shardbearers had agility either equal-to or slightly higher-than the agility of an unarmored man -- the fact that they are that agile while encased in nigh-impervious armor is what is of note. Bolts fly pretty quickly, and aren't exactly easy to see or dodge.

Remember also that Shardbearers tend to be highly visible during the entirety of a battle, easily targeted both before the lines meet and whenever they get bogged down for any length of time. Even if Shardbearers try to stay mobile, simply positioning your bolt-throwers to cover the toughest fighting will guarantee either that Shardbearers will come to you or that Shardbearers can't be utilized where and when they are most needed because of the deterrent of the bolt-throwers.

Gunpowder is fairly hit-and-miss. It was first developed completely accidentally in the real world, and you would need either a similar accident or a thorough understanding of chemistry to get it in Roshar.

Edited by Kurkistan

Balistae aren't really single-target anti-infantry weapons. They're intended to break formations and fortifications, but using them to pick off a particular guy doesn't seem terribly reliable. I mean, I guess you could try and might get lucky often enough, but on a battle field missing someone in the middle of your own army will probably cause enough casualties that you're back to how many people you have and how little you care about their lives and might as well just issue a bunch of them warhammers.

If you're going for seige weapons, a catapult loaded with a bunch of shotput-sized rocks might be better, because if you aim it at the Shardbearer before he enters your army you've got a better chance of a hit instead of punching a hole a few ranks deep right next to him.

Balistae aren't really single-target anti-infantry weapons. They're intended to break formations and fortifications, but using them to pick off a particular guy doesn't seem terribly reliable. I mean, I guess you could try and might get lucky often enough, but on a battle field missing someone in the middle of your own army will probably cause enough casualties that you're back to how many people you have and how little you care about their lives and might as well just issue a bunch of them warhammers.

If you're going for seige weapons, a catapult loaded with a bunch of shotput-sized rocks might be better, because if you aim it at the Shardbearer before he enters your army you've got a better chance of a hit instead of punching a hole a few ranks deep right next to him.

*Ahem* *Cough* Apparently they were.

Assuming less-than perfect accuracy, though, let's say a 20% chance of hitting a Shardbearer, I would say that it's still a good bet. Fire 10 bolts at a Shardbearer: 2 hit and he either dies or his plate is severely damaged. The 8 that miss either hit enemy troops or cause far less damage to your own line than it would take to disable a Shardbearer conventionally.

We must also recall that Shardbearers don't typically wade into the middle other armies. The major Shardbearer-involving battles we saw involved Dalinar and Adolin fighting a few strides ahead of their own troops, breaking the enemy line while avoiding encirclement. Most misses on an enemy Shardbearer, therefore, would still do significant damage to the enemy, as well as weaken the enemy line near the Shardbearer.

Even if misses hit your own troops, Dalina/Adolin—if I recall correctly—killed hundreds of Parshendi who tried the warhammer approach. A little blue on blue is almost certainly better than that.

Edited by Kurkistan

Yea I think a Ballista is your best bet in terms of siege, a catapult is much more inaccurate, the scatter would be huge unless you were fairly close, and considering your shooting dozens of rocks at a time, you're more likely to hit your own army and kill quite a few people per shot. I think that either a ballista would be best, or dispersing teams of 10 or so crossbow men, with some cavalry for support throughout your army to counter them would work best. (or both, ballista for initial assault, crossbows dispersed for when they are to close to your own troops)

I think 10 or so crossbow bolts to the same area of plate should probably shatter it

Yea I think a Ballista is your best bet in terms of siege, a catapult is much more inaccurate, the scatter would be huge unless you were fairly close, and considering your shooting dozens of rocks at a time, you're more likely to hit your own army and kill quite a few people per shot. I think that either a ballista would be best, or dispersing teams of 10 or so crossbow men, with some cavalry for support throughout your army to counter them would work best. (or both, ballista for initial assault, crossbows dispersed for when they are to close to your own troops)

I think 10 or so crossbow bolts to the same area of plate should probably shatter it

I agree that you're probably better off with a good diffusion of crossbows than relying entirely on ballistae. I got a bit sidetracked there, but ballistae are so cool. :lol:

Yea, Ever since I first played Age Of Empires I've been a bit obsessed with medieval warfare and most particularly siege weapons. Ballistae come in at #2 after trebuchets for me. But yea, I reined myself in before I started dreaming of teams of anti-shardbearer catapults :P

So yea, good old crossbows are probably the best and safest way, much easier to disperse throughout the army and still somewhat useful even if they don't encounter a shardbearer.

Combining two ideas, why not have a long corridor (no stormlight) with a ballista at the end you're trying to protect aiming down it. Bonus points if you can engineer the ceiling to slam down on the attacker - then just fire the bolt to force them to pause and activate the ceiling. Or even the walls, although you don't have gravity on your side then.

Admittedly if Szeth noticed and was lucky in that he had rather large reserves of stormlight, he might be able to reverse the ceiling's gravity. Long shot though.

I think having a ballista in a corridor is a little impractical :P But yeah I suppose if you knew one was coming then that's not a bad idea. At the very least you'd get him to use up most of his stormlight switching from ground to ceiling to wall continuously. Add a couple of crossbows... actually now that I think about it, if it's just szeth then you don't really need a ballista :P

I believe that the only thing szeth could do with the projectiles without actually touching them is make the wall or a torch or whatever a grivity well, but isn't that the most expensive way of using his abilities?

And if szeth (or any other windrunner with a shardblade) really wanted to get somewhere, they could just cut out huge chunks of stone from the wall and then lash those blocks away from the wall. There'd be no need for him to go down a long corridor with bows/crossbows/ballista pointed at him.

Ninja black eggs to the eyes(hollow eggs filled with either pepper juices or crushed glass), warhammers to the head from behind to break the helm and skull while he is blinded, bolts if army is close behind. (or cut him off fron his soldiers)

Ah yes, I forgot about reverse lashings for a second, I was all caught up in solving everything with crossbows :P

Yeah, I keep trying to think of something to use against Szeth, but his manoeuvrability just makes it darn near impossible. I think that actually the ballista might work then, even if it's bound by a reverse lashing, he still has to be near whatever he lashed it to, so yeah, at the very least he'd get knocked out by the flying stone chips. Of course there is the problem of how to force him to come down a corridor since, as has been pointed out walls are basically meaningless to him.

Ninja black eggs to the eyes(hollow eggs filled with either pepper juices or crushed glass), warhammers to the head from behind to break the helm and skull while he is blinded, bolts if army is close behind. (or cut him off fron his soldiers)

The Shardplate has no seams, and so there is no way to decapitate them. Also, there is a possible use of visor to prevent the ninja black eggs (of which, incidentally, possession is banned in 25 separate countries due to their effectiveness and ability to be concealed).

Ah yes, I forgot about reverse lashings for a second, I was all caught up in solving everything with crossbows :P

Yeah, I keep trying to think of something to use against Szeth, but his manoeuvrability just makes it darn near impossible. I think that actually the ballista might work then, even if it's bound by a reverse lashing, he still has to be near whatever he lashed it to, so yeah, at the very least he'd get knocked out by the flying stone chips. Of course there is the problem of how to force him to come down a corridor since, as has been pointed out walls are basically meaningless to him.

If you have a good amount of area with no spheres around your saferoom, Szeth will have to use up most of his Light getting to you. That will remove one of his biggest advantages.