Painting Stormlight Miniatures

I will be painting all of the stormlight miniatures and will be posting about my progress here. I will share all the paints I use. If anyone else is painting them please share

IMG_2586.thumb.jpeg.70d0d05c84b74b861f3e98147bcdfd38.jpeg

My first goal is to be done with cleaning the models by this weekend and start to base coat them.

41 minutes ago, Silver Phantom said:

Finish cleaning the models. It’s too late and cold to base coat tonight. Hopefully tomorrow will be warmer 

...you're in Utah, right? It's supposed to snow tomorrow (at least where I'm at)

But I'm excited to see!!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

citidel colours good choice. always worked for Warhammer 40k

That’s what  I’m using. I am also working on a dark angles army

3 hours ago, Edema Rue said:

...you're in Utah, right? It's supposed to snow tomorrow (at least where I'm at)

But I'm excited to see!!

I know. I just need one more afternoon that isn’t freezing for the spray paint to stick

Edited by Silver Phantom

5 hours ago, Shardwatcher01 said:

where in utah are you guys cuz it’s dumping snow like crazy where i am (in utah)

I'm...Utah county, ish. We only got like 5 inches, but it's still freezing which is wonderful (for me, sorry Phantom if it makes it hard for you to paint)

Thank you everyone for the support. I will be trying to base coat it tomorrow. It still will be very cold but it just going to get colder so I have to risk it. 

On 1/7/2024 at 7:33 PM, Experience said:

I'm excited to see the process you use. I've never painted my minis before and I'm planning on painting the stormlight ones I got.

If you any question just let me know. And good luck, I am sure they will turn out great

On 1/7/2024 at 10:42 AM, Shardwatcher01 said:

where in utah are you guys cuz it’s dumping snow like crazy where i am (in utah)

I am in South Jordan

9 hours ago, Silver Phantom said:

Thank you everyone for the support. I will be trying to base coat it tomorrow. It still will be very cold but it just going to get colder so I have to risk it. 

If you any question just let me know. And good luck, I am sure they will turn out great

I am in South Jordan

Draper

I managed to get a couple of miniatures based coated before a storm hit. I should explain what base coating is. It’s were before you paint a model by hand you use spray paint over it. This helps the paint you put on later stick better and is a smoother finish.

IMG_2596.thumb.jpeg.851f0d6d2b1d8180c0f06d128c04b3e4.jpeg

As you can see I base coated the shard bearer, the Lopen, Hoid, Rock, Syl, Taravangian, Patter, and Taln

I used citadel Mechanicus standard gray. I will be starting Patter tonight 

So here is the first miniature. Lighting is terrible but best I could do

Spoiler

IMG_2599.thumb.jpeg.77ea263c0cb1f548b95fb026847c5c09.jpeg

Here are the paints I used for Pattern. All are from Citadel Colour  (no I did not miss spell color, its a European based company)

Abaddon Black, Corvus Black, Mechanicus Standard Grey, Eshin Grey, and Administratum Grey

I put on a coat of Abaddon Black, then dry brushed on each consecutive color. Focusing heaver on the face to make it stand out. Pattern is very nice for this technique because of his sharp edges. I then painted the hand Mechanicus Standard grey also to help them stand out.

For clarification. Dry brushing is were you get a brush with a strait edge (like shown bellow) put some paint on it. Then brush it back and forth on a napkin to get almost all of it off. You then brush it over just the raised parts of a model (very lightly) and it highlight the edge.

Spoiler

IMG_2601.thumb.jpeg.313743b199baaaa9a846185c3298a8c1.jpeg

I am thinking of doing something else with the base. I don’t really like that ring of smoothness (don’t know if that’s a real word) but we will see

@RoyalBeeMage I don’t really have a set plan for any model. I am obviously going to try to stick close to the color they are in the books. But I have a l lot of different shades of the same colors so I will end up just experimenting and seeing what works. I will be using only Citadel Colours though.

9 minutes ago, Silver Phantom said:

will be using only Citadel Colours though.

oh ok.

9 minutes ago, Silver Phantom said:

I am thinking of doing something else with the base. I don’t really like that ring of smoothness (don’t know if that’s a real word) but we will see

what about some fake grass or snow. real sand always works in emergency. don't know where you will get it from in the snow... or where you thinking more about adding some colour to it. 

10 minutes ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

what about some fake grass or snow. real sand always works in emergency. don't know where you will get it from in the snow... or where you thinking more about adding some colour to it. 

I might go with the grass, thanks for the idea. 

What model are you working on?

Edited by Silver Phantom

11 minutes ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

nothing at the moment. However, i do play Warhammer age of Sigmar and I spent a long time painting up my army. do you have any minifigures beyond the stormlight ones?

I just got some of the Kharadron Overlords. And I have some space marines. I don’t play either 40k or sigmar but I have been wanting to learn. What faction do you play in sigmar?