Painting Stormlight Miniatures

On 7/3/2024 at 2:01 PM, Skyebreaker said:

I finished painting Adolin and Venli. I will seal them tomorrow. Only one more miniature to paint!

I like how you painted the obsidian. How did you do it and mind if I use the same methods?

1 hour ago, Silver Phantom said:

I like how you painted the obsidian. How did you do it and mind if I use the same methods?

Thank you! I definitely don't mind. I did base coat black, dry brushed with Azul ultramarine (Vallejo), and then dry brushed again with Elven Armor blue metallic (Army Painter). 

Finally did some more. I did both Adolin in his Shard plate and Kaladin from the end of Rythm of War. Spoiler warning 

Spoiler

IMG_3282.thumb.jpeg.24495df5765a5a6f6109c011e16f9d3c.jpegIMG_3284.thumb.jpeg.dad41d15090f166ee653f2f777fe0eb4.jpegIMG_3286.thumb.jpeg.bb51495b8a9c5b1af0387cc8e5316095.jpeg

I am a little annoyed. I bought special chrome paint for the  shard blades and for Kaladins armorer. And it came out amazingly. I really wanted the shard blades to be an eye catcher. But didn’t show up so well in the photos. I didn’t put the chrome paint on Adolin’s armor because it is dead armorer and is repeatedly said that it is painted

Also, you may have noticed that isn’t actually Adolin, it is the spare Shardbarer that came with the miniatures. I had a special plan for that miniature, but it was in the wrong pose. So I switch the blades on that one and with Adolin. The original Adolin miniature is going to be my biggest project yet and if all goes well, will be my center piece. Can’t wait to show you guys.

23 hours ago, Silver Phantom said:

Finally did some more. I did both Adolin in his Shard plate and Kaladin from the end of Rythm of War. Spoiler warning 

Hide contents

IMG_3282.thumb.jpeg.24495df5765a5a6f6109c011e16f9d3c.jpegIMG_3284.thumb.jpeg.dad41d15090f166ee653f2f777fe0eb4.jpegIMG_3286.thumb.jpeg.bb51495b8a9c5b1af0387cc8e5316095.jpeg

I am a little annoyed. I bought special chrome paint for the  shard blades and for Kaladins armorer. And it came out amazingly. I really wanted the shard blades to be an eye catcher. But didn’t show up so well in the photos. I didn’t put the chrome paint on Adolin’s armor because it is dead armorer and is repeatedly said that it is painted

Also, you may have noticed that isn’t actually Adolin, it is the spare Shardbarer that came with the miniatures. I had a special plan for that miniature, but it was in the wrong pose. So I switch the blades on that one and with Adolin. The original Adolin miniature is going to be my biggest project yet and if all goes well, will be my center piece. Can’t wait to show you guys.

These look great! I can't figure out how to take pictures of them either. Can't wait to see your "original" Adolin. I think it's so cool that you switched the blades - I never would have thought of doing that!

On 7/29/2024 at 11:59 PM, Keats.The.Listener said:

Just starting working on my miniatures set. New painter so spent 6 months doing some lessons and research on generics before starting. Started with the army builder pack.  Would love feedback from more experienced painters on my work so far:

IMG_2739.jpeg

IMG_2738.jpeg

IMG_2737.jpeg

So I am definitely not experienced. These were also the first miniatures I ever painted. But the Goobertown hobbies YouTube tutorial for beginners was the most helpful thing I watched. It helped make painting minis less intimidating. I rewatched parts of it over and over. Here's the link: 

Looking at your miniatures, I think they are off to a good start (from my newbie perspective). For your Listener, going back in with black on his skin/carapace will make the red pop. You can also use a black wash to make the shadows darker, then use dry brushing to give some highlights. All of that is explained in the YouTube video. I also started with the army set, and I felt like I really grew by the end! Good luck. 

Ok. I don’t love how this turned out. I wanted more of a glowing look but my skill just isn’t there. Someday I will buy this model again so I can do it right. Any way this is the model I kitbashed. The body is originally Adolin’s but I can not stress this enough, this is not Adolin. I swapped shard blades with a different model to make it more clear.

Also SERIOUS SPOILERS for the end of Oathbringer

Spoiler

I give you… Amaram, corrupted 

IMG_3546.thumb.jpeg.c083e4385ec575bed089b24e15766cbb.jpegIMG_3547.thumb.jpeg.a37240c51442857eacbe518d9ca01aa1.jpeg

Spoiler

So I tried to do the purple crystals and the red lighting. But it just didn’t go quite as well as I would have liked. Like I said above I will try this again when I am more skilled and have an airbrush.

The lighting is just thin wire I glued on, the crystals are horn from other models I hade. I tried to make it look like where all the crystal broke out, was glowing voidlight and corruption spreading across him. And Again, the special chrome paint I bought for the blade doesn’t come up well in the photo. 

All in all I am proud of the work I put into it and can’t wait to show you guys my kitbashed Jasnah

33 minutes ago, Silver Phantom said:

Ok. I don’t love how this turned out. I wanted more of a glowing look but my skill just isn’t there. Someday I will buy this model again so I can do it right. Any way this is the model I kitbashed. The body is originally Adolin’s but I can not stress this enough, this is not Adolin. I swapped shard blades with a different model to make it more clear.

Hide contents

IMG_3546.thumb.jpeg.c083e4385ec575bed089b24e15766cbb.jpegIMG_3547.thumb.jpeg.a37240c51442857eacbe518d9ca01aa1.jpeg

Hide contents

So I tried to do the purple crystals and the red lighting. But it just didn’t go quite as well as I would have liked. Like I said above I will try this again when I am more skilled and have an airbrush.

The lighting is just thin wire I glued on, the crystals are horn from other models I hade. I tried to make it look like where all the crystal broke out, was glowing voidlight and corruption spreading across him. And Again, the special chrome paint I bought for the blade doesn’t come up well in the photo. 

All in all I am proud of the work I put into it and can’t wait to show you guys my kitbashed Jasnah

Duuuude that's epic

9 hours ago, Silver Phantom said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

He looks amazing. Far better than what I would have ended up with. It'll look even more amazing when you redo it, I'm sure.

15 hours ago, Silver Phantom said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Sweet chasms that’s incredible…beautifully done!

15 hours ago, Silver Phantom said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

So creative! 😍😍😍 Can't wait to see Jasnah!