Days of Ash and Mist

killersquirrel59

So I was having a discussion with a friend about the Mistborn setting post Final Empire as seen in Well of Ascension and Hero of Ages. It occurred to me that we have an easy title for the setting of the Final Empire (namely itself, the Final Empire), and most of us seem to have fallen into referring to the events of Wax and Wayne's story simply as the Alloy of Law setting. 

However, I every time I've heard the time post-Final Empire referred to, it has usually been done in an awkward and roundabout way (usually a purely out of story descriptive manner such as "the time period of the Well of Ascension"). I think this is deplorable, as each good era for storytelling should have a name so it can be easily referred to.

With that in mind, I submit that this period should be called The Days of Ash and Mist. 

If there is another already agreed upon term in use, I apologize. I haven't seen one.

Thoughts? Comments? Snide remarks?

There's no fanon term that I know of but we tend to avoid them and wait for the canonical names. I generally use post-TLR to refer to the time period of the second two books in the trilogy, and post-Ascension to the period between book three and AoL

In-world they refer to Final Empire Scadrial as the "World of Ash":

The carriage was approaching the bridge to the Field of Rebirth; the blanket of green grass and blooming Marewill flowers rose in a gradual hillside slope. The statues of the Last Emperor and the Ascendant Warrior dominated the top, capping their tomb. There was a museum there. Marasi had been there several times as a girl to look at the relics of the World of Ash that had been saved by the Originators, those who had been nurtured in wombs of the earth and reborn to build society.

aaand I completely misread your post.  I'm pretty sure the term of the post TLR World of Ash is the "Collapse" (or maybe post-Collapse?):

Of all the warlords and despots that had afflicted the Final Empire since the Lord Ruler’s death, Straff was the most dangerous. Elend knew this firsthand. His father was a true imperial nobleman: He saw life as a competition between lords to see who could earn the greatest reputation. He had played the game well, making House Venture the most powerful of the pre-Collapse noble families

It was still strange for Vin to see the market so busy. She walked down Kenton Street, wearing her customary trousers and buttoned shirt, thinking about the time when she’d visited the street during the days before the Collapse. It had been the quiet home of some exclusive tailoring shops.
The balls and parties she had attended before the Collapse—they had been a charade. A dreamlike memory. They had no place in this world of collapsing governments and nightly assassinations. Plus, Vin’s part in the balls—pretending to be the girl Valette Renoux—had always been a sham

During the days before the Collapse, Sazed had often imagined what the world would be like once the Lord Ruler was gone.
Now that the Collapse had come, he had to disperse his knowledge, not waste his time chasing after foolish stories.

Edited by WeiryWriter

In-world they refer to Final Empire Scadrial as the "World of Ash":

I always took that reference to be a corruption of terms, since I don't recall them ever actually having the term Final Empire in Alloy of Law. I took it as a more general term for all of the time from the Ascension to the, well the Sazed Ascension.

Edit:

This is by no means a necessary thing to push by the way. I am writing a game book and just looking for cool titles I can use for each possible setting time period really. The Final Empire is obvious, and I was just going to use Alloy of Law as a setting name, but was looking for a cool title so I could say something like, "how about a game set in the _____________ era?"

Edited by WeiryWriter
please don't double post, use the edit feature

• Chaos locked this topic