Frustrated Writer Support Group

Heh, I totally belong in this group. Lately I've really been struggling with follow through. I start projects left and right and leave them behind before I even get a chance to know the characters. I've found it really hard to stick to things once I start seeing problems in what I've written, because it's so overwhelming to imagine fixing it, so aI just drop the project. I do have a small victory though! Last night I spent an hour working on a magic system which I think that I've managed to get to where I need it to be to start writing!

3 minutes ago, The Sibling said:

Last night I spent an hour working on a magic system which I think that I've managed to get to where I need it to be to start writing!

thats always good. for my current prodject i am going for a mashup of lots of different magic systems because i have made so many over the years and want to use them all.

45 minutes ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

thats always good. for my current prodject i am going for a mashup of lots of different magic systems because i have made so many over the years and want to use them all.

Nice!

This is a benefit of having lots of projects, when I have some sort of plot line that I came up with but never elaborated on, I just chuck it into the history of my world, or like, a minor character's backstory. It's the same for magic systems. 

I also struggle to focus on just one project, that's why most things I write are just short stories, 1000-2000 words. But I have a couple WIP's that I'm trying to keep going, I really like them so hopefully I can keep up with them *giggles* Liz *giggles* 

On 1/14/2024 at 1:38 AM, RoyalBeeMage said:

eddie storm you. you and liz have started to infect me with the out of order story. i now struggle to wright in a liner timeline.

Oop-

My bad-

I want to just sit and write a whole story, but...well, I keep bouncing from the end to the middle to the end to the beginning and everything in between...

I just write what Liz tells me to, I don't think I have any control :P 

Figuring out my first real outline for a book, and for a trilogy. Any advice y'all have? I know that I have to just do it to know how I need to do it. Besides general advice, I want to know if anyone knows how detailed they should be. I'm trying to me really lean because I want to leave the writing for the writing, but I don't know.

20 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

Figuring out my first real outline for a book, and for a trilogy. Any advice y'all have? I know that I have to just do it to know how I need to do it. Besides general advice, I want to know if anyone knows how detailed they should be. I'm trying to me really lean because I want to leave the writing for the writing, but I don't know.

I have no idea🤔. My opinion, do what works best for your brain. And then, maybe consider sharing what you did, because outlining is something I would very much like to learn, too. Maybe someone else has more experience, but I'm still pretty new here, so I don't have any idea who. Still, I'm sending wishes of luck and happy thoughts your way!

1 hour ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

Okay, I'm not an outliner at all, but I like to make a list of important plot developments, and maybe what certain characters need to be at the beginning vs. at the end, that way when I'm writing I can remember to hit those things and then form my story around it. Especially little conflicts that aren't a huge deal to the overall plot, but still need to happen. I don't know if that helps, but that's what I've tried.

3 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

Okay, I'm not an outliner at all, but I like to make a list of important plot developments, and maybe what certain characters need to be at the beginning vs. at the end, that way when I'm writing I can remember to hit those things and then form my story around it. Especially little conflicts that aren't a huge deal to the overall plot, but still need to happen. I don't know if that helps, but that's what I've tried.

interesting. Rn I'm trying to make a scene by scene thing and idk if it's really working for me. I might go into a more plot point based thing and scenes that I've already pictured. Idk tho. I have kinda just thrown in prompt-ish things with what I need to start showing and introducing throughout it and what points I need to progress.

6 hours ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

try what works for you. it might end up that you are more like myself. a discovery writer. someone who writes what they feel should happen in the moment.

13 hours ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

try what works for you. it might end up that you are more like myself. a discovery writer. someone who writes what they feel should happen in the moment.

Last time that I tried discovery writing instead of outlining I came up with this great pair of brothers with a cool dynamic, and in the first scene one of them straight up murdered the other one. I didn't even see it coming, I just wrote "Torridan didn't set out to be a murderer, but as he glanced out the shattered window towards the cobblestones below, he admitted to himself that accidents do happen." because I thought it was funny and then I realized that I'd just killed off my best character.

Edited by The Sibling
autocorrect was messing with me

8 hours ago, The Sibling said:

Last time that I tried discovery writing instead of outlining I came up with this great pair of brothers with a cool dynamic, and in the first scene one of them straight up murdered the other one. I didn't even see it coming, I just wrote "Torridan didn't set out to be a murderer, but as he glanced out the shattered window towards the cobblestones below, he admitted to himself that accidents do happen." because I thought it was funny and then I realized that I'd just killed off my best character.

yeah no makes sense. i had my characters walking down the street going about a normal day when one of the characters found a cave, found an alter and started a ritual.

4 hours ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

yeah no makes sense. i had my characters walking down the street going about a normal day when one of the characters found a cave, found an alter and started a ritual.

Haha, sounds familiar. My characters walk all over me, but I like the surprises... most the time. There were times when I had to kill a lot of darlings just to get back on track

26 minutes ago, Little._.Dagger said:

Haha, sounds familiar. My characters walk all over me, but I like the surprises... most the time. There were times when I had to kill a lot of darlings just to get back on track

tell me about it. the pros and cons of discovery writing basically sumerised. 

POV: you’re writing at 2am and don’t know what’s happening, then look back at it the next day only to realize you started a 3 way love triangle and several wars

In the space of about a page. 

no. a paragraph. Maybe slightly more if you add some detail. a war only takes 20 words to start and love triangles? 40. i do not like reading over my un edited pages. one or 2 edits later it becomes somewhat slightly digestable.

When you come up with the arc for a character and realize that the best way to finish them is to have them sacrifice themselves, but then you realize that one of the other characters would have their arc served super well if they did the exact same thing, so now you have to figure out which one is going to sacrifice themself-

And it makes perfect sense why either one would do it- like ahhhhhhhh!

What do I do lol?

Have their arcs converge and have them sacrifice themselves together?

Why are they sacrificing themselves? If it's for different reasons and/or different ways, it's probably fine to even do them independently.

Or just throw caution to the wind and kill everyone.

Spoiler

Is this what I'm supposed to do here? I don't want to be giving advice if this is a rant only thread.

Spoiler

I'm not a good writer myself. I have loads of ideas, but I have trouble making them flow on paper. I think the best I could do would be a short story, and even that's a stretch. Like I said though, I have lots of ideas and I'm not afraid to speak them. That's why I came here to spew ideas and hopefully help someone who is stuck.

27 minutes ago, Lego Mistborn said:

Have their arcs converge and have them sacrifice themselves together?

Why are they sacrificing themselves? If it's for different reasons and/or different ways, it's probably fine to even do them independently.

Or just throw caution to the wind and kill everyone.

Hide contents

Is this what I'm supposed to do here? I don't want to be giving advice if this is a rant only thread.

Hide contents

I'm not a good writer myself. I have loads of ideas, but I have trouble making them flow on paper. I think the best I could do would be a short story, and even that's a stretch. Like I said though, I have lots of ideas and I'm not afraid to speak them. That's why I came here to spew ideas and hopefully help someone who is stuck.

I finally figured out that they are both going to try to do it, but just as one is going to let the other do it, that one will come forward, push them away, rush in and do it themselves. One of their arcs has been to be more forceful with their own opinions about how it should happen, so that will tie in nicely. 

1 hour ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

I finally figured out that they are both going to try to do it, but just as one is going to let the other do it, that one will come forward, push them away, rush in and do it themselves. One of their arcs has been to be more forceful with their own opinions about how it should happen, so that will tie in nicely. 

that could work nicely. why do you need to sarafire them?

POV: Your characters both need serious mental help but they're in a relationship and there's no therapist within 100 miles outside the town and she's a schizophrenic and he has PTSD so it'll never work out for them to be each other's therapy and yet they are.

*cough* @Just-A-Stick *cough*

Just now, Part Of The Narrative said:

POV: Your characters both need serious mental help but they're in a relationship and there's no therapist within 100 miles outside the town and she's a schizophrenic and he has PTSD so it'll never work out for them to be each other's therapy and yet they are.

*cough* @Just-A-Stick *cough*

HEY!

ITS NOT ECHO'S FAULT SHE'S SCHIZOPHRENIC!! 

^-^