Question 2

TwiLyghtSansSparkles

I do believe so, my good man. (Great. Now you've got me talking like him. :P

Villain.jpg

Just as I have planned...

Question that just occurred to me. If Upgrade uses his power on an inanimate object, the object becomes better-suited for carrying out its intended purpose. For instance, knives become sharper when he uses them. When he uses his power on an Epic, the strength of the Epic's powers is increased and inherent limitations are lifted.

What happens if he uses his power on a regular person? Do they become stronger and faster within realistic human boundaries? Do they become closer to whatever personal ideal they strive for? 

Sorry, Lightwards, but you will never be able to rock a cape like Steelheart. 

Also, stop acting like Steelheart. You're creeping me out. Not that you weren't creeping me out before, but it's like you're trying now. 

I sort of imagined that as a phrase any Epic in a position of power would use on a weaker specimen.

Aww, GM. Joe gets to write badchull scenes with CorpseMaker! Let Lightwards traumatize the only Epic in the Museum that can't rip him apart. :P

I sort of imagined that as a phrase any Epic in a position of power would use on a weaker specimen.

Aww, GM. Joe gets to write badchull scenes with CorpseMaker! Let Lightwards traumatize the only Epic in the Museum that can't rip him apart. :P

The only problem here is that CM actually IS badchull. :P

Fine, he can vent his frustrations. Better Backtrack than others. :P

The only problem here is that CM actually IS badchull. :P

Fine, he can vent his frustrations. Better Backtrack than others. :P

But since CorpseMaker isn't long for this world, clearly I should start grooming Lightwards to take up his badchull mantle. And that means frightening the staff. :P

As we've seen before though, Lightwards gets a little more frightening the more insecure he's feeling. And since his argument with Funtimes left him feeling more powerless then he's felt in a very long time... well, anyone who doesn't have some form of protection from him should probably tread lightly around him for a while. :o

Not to be a meany but I doubt that something so deteched from actual pyhsics could be replicated by science. It´s only a step away from creating artifical Epics and would require something akin to a minature Calamity, which would fall under the relam of "not scientific."

From what I could tell from the book creating artificial Epics would require genetic engineering so it's unlikely to be reproducable even if they knew how and they'd only create infant Epics. Essentially it depends how Upgrades powers actually work but I do think they could reproduce it given enough time, my opinion when I wrote Upgrade was that when he produces his what I like to call 'Epic radiation' (The 'radiation' that produces the less physical effects and allows for mental control) it takes on the properties of things around it, combining it with another Epic's would enhance their strength because it's as though two Epics were doing what they were trying to do. But that's just my metaphysics take on it :P

I wouldn't mind seeing NH meet the twins, and combined they could probably handle themselves alright against him.

But since CorpseMaker isn't long for this world, clearly I should start grooming Lightwards to take up his badchull mantle. And that means frightening the staff. :P

As we've seen before though, Lightwards gets a little more frightening the more insecure he's feeling. And since his argument with Funtimes left him feeling more powerless then he's felt in a very long time... well, anyone who doesn't have some form of protection from him should probably tread lightly around him for a while. :o

But...but as a decent human being beyond his scope of control, I am contractually obligated to taunt his neuroses at every opportunity! :P

I will post Nathan's response soonish. He needs to be less passive....which is hard when you've been frightened into being passive. :P

But...but as a decent human being beyond his scope of control, I am contractually obligated to taunt his neuroses at every opportunity! :P

I will post Nathan's response soonish. He needs to be less passive....which is hard when you've been frightened into being passive. :P

Alright, fair enough. :P

Yeah, Aldo's a rather pushy individual. And he's the worst kind of pushy--someone who will keep steering you towards his will with a firm hand but a charming smile plastered on his face the whole time.

So... Backtrack's heading to The Dalles now, so you're set up for Koshei flashbacks when the time comes.

MV's actually more suited, Impact would just squish them :P

If he interrupted and asked them they'd probably go, they're not entirely comfortable in present company, and Backtrack's the least scary of all the new Epics.

In addition to the pragmatic necessity of having someone help him down, Backtrack would do a lot to have some more powerful company on his trip. There's really no telling what kind of psychotic Epics might live around The Dalles, so he'd like a pair of moderately powerful Epics of his own as a form of protection.

Plus, taking two young ladies to witness horrific Koschei murders from the past is just the sort of date Backtrack is becoming known for. :P

In addition to the pragmatic necessity of having someone help him down, Backtrack would do a lot to have some more powerful company on his trip. There's really no telling what kind of psychotic Epics might live around The Dalles, so he'd like a pair of moderately powerful Epics of his own as a form of protection.

Plus, taking two young ladies to witness horrific Koschei murders from the past is just the sort of date Backtrack is becoming known for. :P

Like Nine, he takes them to see the destruction of their planet for the first date. :P

Impact could practice her flying if you want to get there even faster, although she may end up killing all three of them :P
Well he's still better than their alternative dates for the evening, sitting through a lecture by professor Cardinal or being tortured by a sadistic Nighthound :P

Impact could practice her flying if you want to get there even faster, although she may end up killing all three of them :P

Well he's still better than their alternative dates for the evening, sitting through a lecture by professor Cardinal or being tortured by a sadistic Nighthound :P

Lightwards continued to scrawl on the chalkboard, droning on in that dull voice of his.

"Batesian mimicry," he was saying, "is an ecological principle that describes the defense mechanism of certain lifeforms. Namely, the method in which a harmless organism imitates a more dangerous species. For instance, the milk snake is not even remotely dangerous, but is decorated with a colored pattern strikingly similar to the lethal coral snake.

"In this way, a creature which would be completely helpless on its own is capable of fooling predators into believing it is a threat. Any questions?"

Surprisingly, it was Sam who raised her hand from the back of the class. 

"Yes, Ms. Trattner?" Lightwards asked in surprise.

"I've got a question," she proclaimed with a grin. "If you knew all this stuff, then how come you didn't see the whole Nathan surprise coming?"

Lightwards opened his mouth in protest, then closed it with a grim scowl. "That's actually a good point."

I was reading about Batesian mimicry earlier, and Nathan genuinely kept popping into my head the whole time. :P

Lightwards continued to scrawl on the chalkboard, droning on in that dull voice of his.

"Batesian mimicry," he was saying, "is an ecological principle that describes the defense mechanism of certain lifeforms. Namely, the method in which a harmless organism imitates a more dangerous species. For instance, the milk snake is not even remotely dangerous, but is decorated with a colored pattern strikingly similar to the lethal coral snake.

"In this way, a creature which would be completely helpless on its own is capable of fooling predators into believing it is a threat. Any questions?"

"I've got a question," she proclaimed with a grin. "If you knew all this stuff, then how come you didn't see the whole Nathan surprise coming?"

Lightwards opened his mouth in protest, then closed it with a grim scowl. "That's actually a good point."

I was reading about Batesian mimicry earlier, and Nathan genuinely kept popping into my head the whole time. :P

:o I never thought of it like that. Also that post reminded me of my old bio professor, spot on writing :P

Edited by Voidus

In the sequel, Sam must write "I am sorry for calling my professor an idiotic blowhard" 500 times. :P 

I had actually not thought of that. Odd, huh? :P 

All right, I'm going to conduct a quick and extremely informal poll. I think I know Doctor Funtimes well enough now to cut her loose from her sane narrators. 

Does anyone have any objections to a Funtimes viewpoint scene? And I mean that seriously. If you think it's too soon, or you think she'd bog the narration down, or anything like that, let me know. I don't think I'll use her viewpoint that often, but I'd like to say how she feels about Saccharine, and Remington can't very well see into her head. (Even if he could, I doubt he'd want to.) :P