Question 2

TwiLyghtSansSparkles

I like him quite a bit. :D He already seems like a Worthy Opponent for Vondra.

And...call me crazy, but am I the only one beginning to grow a bit fond of Backtrack? Maybe it's partly because I feel sorry for him, torturing him with Koschei's twisted mind, but I kind of like the guy. ;)

Maybe I'm just as crazy as you are, but I've also been growing a steady fondness for him. I guess it's coming out in the writing.

That's not to say he doesn't have some serious flaws. Remember, this is the same man who sold out Sam's family to save his own skin. He doesn't commit random brutal atrocities everywhere he goes, but he is still an Epic and is thus subject to Calamity's corruption.

I do think he has a shot at redemption, though. Steve Lawrence was a good man. A socially awkward and reclusive man, but at heart a good man. His knowledge of Nighthound and Koschei is re-awakening that part of him--even at his worst, he isn't nearly as bad as they are/was.

There's also the fact that his redemption would counter-balance Lightwards' moral event horizon rather nicely.

Maybe I'm just as crazy as you are, but I've also been growing a steady fondness for him. I guess it's coming out in the writing.

That's not to say he doesn't have some serious flaws. Remember, this is the same man who sold out Sam's family to save his own skin. He doesn't commit random brutal atrocities everywhere he goes, but he is still an Epic and is thus subject to Calamity's corruption.

I do think he has a shot at redemption, though. Steve Lawrence was a good man. A socially awkward and reclusive man, but at heart a good man. His knowledge of Nighthound and Koschei is re-awakening that part of him--even at his worst, he isn't nearly as bad as they are/was.

There's also the fact that his redemption would counter-balance Lightwards' moral event horizon rather nicely.

He is certainly flawed. He can be sniveling, cowardly, and downright apathetic. But I think it's his reactions to Koschei that started it: Were it Nighthound watching, he'd sit back and watch with a smile. Lightwards would either be in awe of Koschei's power, or start jotting down ideas. Backtrack had a very visceral, very human reaction, proving there's still some good in him that he doesn't try to snuff out. If he lets this journey to the past work the way the first flashback did, he would have a definite shot at redemption.

Should I do a Reader post in the Dalles or wait for Backtrack and co. to actually show up?

Up to you--if you think a post detailing his basic situation and personality would fit before he actually has something to do, then I'd say go for it. :)

He is certainly flawed. He can be sniveling, cowardly, and downright apathetic. But I think it's his reactions to Koschei that started it: Were it Nighthound watching, he'd sit back and watch with a smile. Lightwards would either be in awe of Koschei's power, or start jotting down ideas. Backtrack had a very visceral, very human reaction, proving there's still some good in him that he doesn't try to snuff out. If he lets this journey to the past work the way the first flashback did, he would have a definite shot at redemption.

Lightwards would admire Koschei's commitment to a cause and his determination in the face of adversity. If they ever met in person they'd probably try to murder each other, but Lightwards would view Koschei's display in the farmhouse with respect rather than disgust.

Backtrack's interactions with the twins are a good example of how his characterization is progressing. He doesn't have a lot of respect for them as human beings--not yet, at any rate. But he does harbor a degree of affection for them that goes beyond mere lewdness, towards MV in particular. If the twins keep their current temperament, they could very well be lights to guide him back to the man he once was. If they let Calamity corrupt them absolutely, however... well, it would make redemption a much rockier road for poor Backtrack.

One thing's for certain: this is going to be very interesting. :D

And it's up! 

Man, I'm looking forward to writing for this guy.

I really like him too. The scene with the mask was pretty cool. :) I look forward to more interactions with this guy and his criminals. In fact, if I do decide to make Avatar, I think he'd work for Quicksilver. I just can't commit to him until I have less Epics in my control.

In the confusion of the moment, Seth forgot about his Epic powers. Frantically, he tried to dive out of the way of the guns, but the man was too quick. He pressed the trigger, and multiple bullets fired rapidly out of the two barrels. More than a few of them ripped through Seth's body. He barely had time to register the pain before he dropped to the ground, dead in an instant.

...Does Timeport have a resurrection power I've forgotten about, or did this actually just happen? :o

I really like him too. The scene with the mask was pretty cool. :) I look forward to more interactions with this guy and his criminals. In fact, if I do decide to make Avatar, I think he'd work for Quicksilver. I just can't commit to him until I have less Epics in my control.

I have a feeling that the CM war will be thinning the game's ranks by quite a number.  :ph34r:

...Does Timeport have a resurrection power I've forgotten about, or did this actually just happen? :o

I have a feeling that the CM war will be thinning the game's ranks by quite a number.  :ph34r:

Haha yes he does, he resurrects 5 feet away from his place of death 5 minutes after his death. It's in the Epics of Oregon thread :P

Also, how's everybody like the first Reader post? I imagined him as sort of an evil!Breeze. 

Edited by mail-mi

Haha yes he does, he resurrects 5 feet away from his place of death 5 minutes after his death. It's in the Epics of Oregon thread :P

Also, how's everybody like the first Reader post? I imagined him as sort of an evil!Breeze. 

Oh good. Timeport's an awful person, but having him die right now would seem a bit anti-climatic.  :mellow:  :P

I find that I quite enjoyed Reader's first POV. :D He's clearly one of the most useful Epics in town... but also one of the most obnoxious to be around. He'll be a very interesting character to watch, I think.

Oh good. Timeport's an awful person, but having him die right now would seem a bit anti-climatic.  :mellow:  :P

I find that I quite enjoyed Reader's first POV. :D He's clearly one of the most useful Epics in town... but also one of the most obnoxious to be around. He'll be a very interesting character to watch, I think.

He was never really a good person. He acted like it, but his thoughts were always of evil. And being given powers and Calamity's corruption...let's just say he's even less of a good person now  ;)

Yes he will. When you know everyone's secrets, and you're being influenced to be evil, you wouldn't help but make sure to twist people in just the right way. 

Exact Same Reaction. I figured he'd Teleport, Not DIe.

I thought it would be more fun this way  :D

Edited by mail-mi

Exact Same Reaction. I figured he'd Teleport, Not Die.

We've got more resurrection Epics than I could reliably count. :o Lightwards, Voidgaze, Penumbra, Koschei, Timeport... I'm certain I'm forgetting some.

roflbot.jpg

Reposted pony memes. Reposted pony memes everywhere.

As a side note, Lightwards will be really ticked off when he realizes that out of all these resurrection Epics, he's the only one who suffers negative effects from dying. :P

We've got more resurrection Epics than I could reliably count. :o Lightwards, Voidgaze, Penumbra, Koschei, Timeport... I'm certain I'm forgetting some.

roflbot.jpg

As a side note, Lightwards will be really ticked off when he realizes that out of all these resurrection Epics, he's the only one who suffers negative effects from dying. :P

He would be seriously jealous of what Koschei can do when he resurrects. :P

Working on my first Ranger/Paladin post right now. They're in Madras, a city north of Bend on the main road to The Dalles. They'll get there in a few posts (maybe 5 or 6), but I'd like to have them walk into a developing situation, not be a part of shaping the situation.

I've also got two more High Epics that I've written up for backstory. One's disappeared, leaving no trace of his departure. The other was forced out of Madras a year and a half ago, but has been building up his forces and has his sights set on a bigger goal now.

Here are their bios:

The Lizard:

Human Name: Dr. Kent Walker

Primary Power: Shapeshifter. Can take on the shape of any reptile or amphibian. Before his disappearance, he tended to shift forms often, using natural creatures to minimize his visibility.

Secondary Power: Can control any reptile or amphibian within 5 miles, and can maintain the control over a much longer distance (perhaps up to 50 miles). The only limit to his ability to control is his ability to maintain the concentration. The less direct control over individual movements he maintains, the more animals he can control. His preferred tactic is either to take direct control over one large, powerful reptile and control its motions with a human intelligence and grasp of tactics, or to control a massive group with a light touch, letting them do their own thing and merely stoking them with rage against whatever opponent he faces.

Bio: Dr. Walker, aka The Lizard, once ruled over a vast domain in what was once Mt. Hood National Forest. He eschewed the company of humans and other Epics, instead drawing to him a wide variety of large reptiles and amphibians, which he referred to as his subjects. The few reports that came out of his land indicated that he had used his engineering expertise to turn several hundred square miles of the forest into a vast swamp that he had populated with his reptilian creatures. A about three years ago, he disappeared, and no news of him has come since then.

Ironmonger

Human Name: Bill Hammond

Primary Power: Can manipulate (as in he can push/pull/use telekinesis, as well as heat it up to the point of melting, but can't change the shape or cause to come alive) any iron or iron alloy in his near vicinity. Can sense any metal within 5 miles, including underneath him.

Secondary Powers: Can turn a set of existing metal or mineral ore into pure iron or iron ore. The more metal he tries to affect, the more effort this takes him, and the longer it takes to recover.

He can also change his body into a hard iron alloy that is extremely resistant to damage. If he is hurt, his ability to melt iron lets him reheal quickly, including reattaching severed body parts, as long as he has not taken lethal damage.

Bio: Ironmonger once ruled over the city of Madras, before he was forced out by the Ringmaster and his gang. That battle nearly destroyed the city, and ended up in nearly all of the cars in the city transformed to iron and sunk over 2000 feet underground. Ironmonger was forced to flee to the east when he was confronted with his weakness, and barely escaped alive. He has spent the last year and a half drawing minor Epics to him, building up his forces for an assault on the city. His lust for power, however, has overcome his thirst for revenge, and he has decided to set his sights on The Dalles, from which he plans on extending his empire in all directions.

The Lizard is almost completely backstory, but I wanted a bio of him up just in case I need a flashback or something. (And just in case I get bored and want another power player.)

Ironmonger, on the other hand, I would like to be a kind of nebulous threat on the horizon, slowly moving in for the kill on an increasingly divided city.

So now to my plot questions.

Kobold, is it alright if I have a spy from Vondra in Madras, looking for Ironmonger's weakness? If Ironmonger is really out there moving slowly in, I think that it would probably be something he would do, but I don't know if that's really in character for him.

Second, Fatebreaker, is it alright if I have Will O'the Wisp working for Quicksilver, waiting to try and intercept Vondra's spy with the weakness? This would, I think, nicely tie all of my characters into the plot. (Until I kill Will off, which is what I created him for. But I'd like to get some mileage out of him before he goes.)

roflbot.jpg

Lightwards stared incredulously at the newly resurrected Epic. "And how many times have you been killed?" 

Timeport shrugged. "A few. Just over ten, I'd say." 

"And you're telling me you don't go insane each time you wake up?!" 

Timeport cocked his head sideways. "No. Are you telling me you do?" 

Lightwards laughed maniacally. "Of course. Of COURSE. I just had to get the short end of the resurrection stick."

Timeport laughed. "Hey, not all of us can control the dead. but apparently neither can you *cough cough* Alice Regway *cough cough*"

"What was that?!" 

"Oh nothing, nothing...."

...and then Nighthound died.

Kobold, is it alright if I have a spy from Vondra in Madras, looking for Ironmonger's weakness? If Ironmonger is really out there moving slowly in, I think that it would probably be something he would do, but I don't know if that's really in character for him.

That sounds fine to me. I like both Lizard and Ironmonger, by the way. They're both pretty awesome. :)

Lightwards stared incredulously at the newly resurrected Epic. "And how many times have you been killed?" 

Timeport shrugged. "A few. Just over ten, I'd say." 

"And you're telling me you don't go insane each time you wake up?!" 

Timeport cocked his head sideways. "No. Are you telling me you do?" 

Lightwards laughed maniacally. "Of course. Of COURSE. I just had to get the short end of the resurrection stick."

Timeport laughed. "Hey, not all of us can control the dead. but apparently neither can you *cough cough* Alice Regway *cough cough*"

"What was that?!" 

"Oh nothing, nothing...."

...and then Nighthound died.

Quota is a heartless, soulless cremling for preventing me from upvoting this. I laughed out loud in a sleeping household. :D

When should i post the next Koschei scene? It needs reworking.

I was thinking that Backtrack and the twins might be told to wait on a bench inside the Church, and that Backtrack would get bored waiting for Reader to come out. While bored, he would then peak into the building's past and see Koschei again. Would that work?

(Something terrifying to consider from Backtrack's point of view: Backtrack doesn't know Koschei is dead. For all he knows, this lunatic is still running around the city somewhere. :o)

roflbot.jpg

PP gets worse resurrection problems. He ddevelops whole extra personalities.

I was thinking that Backtrack and the twins might be told to wait on a bench inside the Church, and that Backtrack would get bored waiting for Reader to come out. While bored, he would then peak into the building's past and see Koschei again. Would that work?

(Something terrifying to consider from Backtrack's point of view: Backtrack doesn't know Koschei is dead. For all he knows, this lunatic is still running around the city somewhere. :o)

Definitely.

(Poor guy just can't catch a break. :P)

Second, Fatebreaker, is it alright if I have Will O'the Wisp working for Quicksilver, waiting to try and intercept Vondra's spy with the weakness? This would, I think, nicely tie all of my characters into the plot. (Until I kill Will off, which is what I created him for. But I'd like to get some mileage out of him before he goes.)

Sure, Will is welcome to join the Crew.

Question about Ironmonger. You say he can telekinetically control metals, is there a weight limit or something? For example, Quicksilver has to be either touching the metal or touching something that's touching the metal. I'm trying to figure out how their powers would interact. 

Edited by Fatebreaker

Hmm...I'm not sure on his exact limit. At the height of his last battle with the Ringmaster and his gang, he pulled a large portion of the metal in the city to him, turned it to iron, and left it 2000 feet underground. But that was in a massive, uncontrollable rage, similar to Steelheart's Transfersion (where he transforms a huge amount of Chicago to steel). Under his conscious control, he can probably lift a car or two simultaneously, or maybe a semi-truck. Not much more than that, though.

I just need a plausible reason. Altermind is meeting with Lightwards tonight, but he won't bring Travis and Kathy could go either way. If Lightwards were to kill her at the meeting, Altermind would be furious and ruin the alliance. Maybe when Alrermind leaves, Travis gets bored and goes to do some spying and Kathy follows. Would Nighthound be able to find them? If so, then,unless a new player claims them, I'll sacrifice them to Nighthound.

Sounds feasible.

And...call me crazy, but am I the only one beginning to grow a bit fond of Backtrack? Maybe it's partly because I feel sorry for him, torturing him with Koschei's twisted mind, but I kind of like the guy. ;)

I feel the same way, it´s probably the pity factor. :P

roflbot.jpg

In case you´re counting backstory Epics there is also Bloody Mary, who gets a free kill everytime she dies. ;) Yet another reason to increase his powers with each dead. (Are we going to do that?)

The Lizard:

Human Name: Dr. Kent Walker

Primary Power: Shapeshifter. Can take on the shape of any reptile or amphibian. Before his disappearance, he tended to shift forms often, using natural creatures to minimize his visibility.

Secondary Power: Can control any reptile or amphibian within 5 miles, and can maintain the control over a much longer distance (perhaps up to 50 miles). The only limit to his ability to control is his ability to maintain the concentration. The less direct control over individual movements he maintains, the more animals he can control. His preferred tactic is either to take direct control over one large, powerful reptile and control its motions with a human intelligence and grasp of tactics, or to control a massive group with a light touch, letting them do their own thing and merely stoking them with rage against whatever opponent he faces.

Bio: Dr. Walker, aka The Lizard, once ruled over a vast domain in what was once Mt. Hood National Forest. He eschewed the company of humans and other Epics, instead drawing to him a wide variety of large reptiles and amphibians, which he referred to as his subjects. The few reports that came out of his land indicated that he had used his engineering expertise to turn several hundred square miles of the forest into a vast swamp that he had populated with his reptilian creatures. A about three years ago, he disappeared, and no news of him has come since then.

Ironmonger

Human Name: Bill Hammond

Primary Power: Can manipulate (as in he can push/pull/use telekinesis, as well as heat it up to the point of melting, but can't change the shape or cause to come alive) any iron or iron alloy in his near vicinity. Can sense any metal within 5 miles, including underneath him.

Secondary Powers: Can turn a set of existing metal or mineral ore into pure iron or iron ore. The more metal he tries to affect, the more effort this takes him, and the longer it takes to recover.

He can also change his body into a hard iron alloy that is extremely resistant to damage. If he is hurt, his ability to melt iron lets him reheal quickly, including reattaching severed body parts, as long as he has not taken lethal damage.

Bio: Ironmonger once ruled over the city of Madras, before he was forced out by the Ringmaster and his gang. That battle nearly destroyed the city, and ended up in nearly all of the cars in the city transformed to iron and sunk over 2000 feet underground. Ironmonger was forced to flee to the east when he was confronted with his weakness, and barely escaped alive. He has spent the last year and a half drawing minor Epics to him, building up his forces for an assault on the city. His lust for power, however, has overcome his thirst for revenge, and he has decided to set his sights on The Dalles, from which he plans on extending his empire in all directions.

These seem nice, don´t think they qualify as high Epics but nice non the least.

I´ve been thinking about a way to get Baxter involved, how propable is it for Vondra to call him in for a check-up?

And yet he swings his name around, slick moves. :P