Bronze Compounding

Voidus

Hey all, just going through the rules from the RPG again and came across something interesting. Apparently after tapping bronze there is no subsequent sleep debt, which is kind of the opposite of what I thought, but anyway this basically means that unlike atium you don't need to increase the amount of bronze that you are tapping the longer you stay awake. Just an interesting little tidbit I picked up that I haven't seen anywhere else.

It makes sense that way. You have to tap more atium because your basline age keeps increasing as time passes (there's no way Ruin's going to let something like that slide), whether you're tapping atium or not. There's no steadily increasing baseline for wakefulness.

I guess the best way to put is atium stores age but tapping it doesn't alleviate aging.

Bronze stores wakefullness or rest and tapping it alleviates mental exhastion. I imagin you would have to tap more if you were performing a mentally exausting task as opposed to just staying lucid as you walk around.

I have conducted an experiment in order to test your theory about large amounts of wakefulness!

Equipment

£5 note

Method

1) Walk up to the vending machine at work.

2) Click the button that, strangely, is labelled 'Coffee'.

3) Await and then drink your cup of steaming bronze.

Results

Interestingly, I am able to stay awake long into the night (having afterwards then 'tapped' more of my wallet stores) writing up terribly interesting reports of confluence in the hemalin marketing process, several times alerting my manager of extremely joyful updates in the surrounding stock figures!

Anomalies

I have a niggling feeling that may it was the exasperating interest that my work provided that enabled me to stay up for so long (specifically, for accuracy, until 5am GMT 0).

Conclusion

I am a Feruchemist. And surprisingly, all of my colleagues are Sentries.

Also, there may be bronze in coffee.

Edited by Odium's_Shard

Do you keep that image of a cookie permanently stored on your hard-drive for this particular use?

However, I will not complain. Although you have reminded my that I missed lunch and dinner all of yesterday in the mad rush to tell the CEO that nothing happened on the stocks that night. Again.

They have an uncanny ability to be able to be completely boring still for periods of about [insert however long I have been looking at it all night every night six days a week].

I really created an account just to say that cookie looks absolutely delicious.

I don't play the rpg however compounding amazes me and can give me headaches... There are some abstract limitations on compounding that are not quite clear though and that gives me the biggest headache of all.

If you can store an attribute then burn it for 10 fold the power as TLR did, then filling a ball of atium with age, then burning it to fill larger atium minds you could do this infinitely. You would have to do it more often as you get to 1000 years of age however you would never actually have to spend time aged to gain youth as it is much more effective to just compound the metal over and over again.

So why did TLR need to spend time aged. My theory is that you cannot store metalminds with Feruchemical powers burned from allomancy. It would be like drawing from one pewter mind to fill another. However this makes sense and should work...

Also atium does not last long so burning it for age would burn through way too much of it. This can be countered by saying you are burning the metal for feruchemical attributes and it will burn differently (doubt it) but possible.

So why does TLR have to spend 3 hours aged everyday (presumibly storing other attributes as well because vin stated how poorly he looked overall.)

There is something wrong with compounding it is infinite in theory but falls short in practice.... thus my theory that there should be need of a little sleep even for a bronze compounder. I just don't understand why exactly.

Edited by Silvers

I have conducted an experiment in order to test your theory about large amounts of wakefulness!

Equipment

£5 note

Method

1) Walk up to the vending machine at work.

2) Click the button that, strangely, is labelled 'Coffee'.

3) Await and then drink your cup of steaming bronze.

Results

Interestingly, I am able to stay awake long into the night (having afterwards then 'tapped' more of my wallet stores) writing up terribly interesting reports of confluence in the hemalin marketing process, several times alerting my manager of extremely joyful updates in the surrounding stock figures!

Anomalies

I have a niggling feeling that may it was the exasperating interest that my work provided that enabled me to stay up for so long (specifically, for accuracy, until 5am GMT 0).

Conclusion

I am a Feruchemist. And surprisingly, all of my colleagues are Sentries.

Also, there may be bronze in coffee.

There can be no other explanation. Additionally, I am a zinc Savant, due to my ability to make people angry with no effort whatsoever. A more detailed report will follow.

As you pointed out, I am surprised nobody else has come to this answer sooner. You'd think that after the last 1000 years of cheap labor gathering cocoa beans in South America, somebody would've realised that it isn't what actually ends up in your caffeinated drink...

Starbucks has a lot to answer for. After I buy my £2.70 medium latté with semi-skimmed milk. And yes, that's with the chocolate shavings, please.

However, following your zinc Savantism, I have decided to attempt to compound wakefulness, and bronze powers, and came up with interesting results, as this thesis demonstrates:

Equipment

Some one pence coins.

Method

1) Ingest some indigestible metal coins (preferably bronze).

2) Allow to travel to the stomach.

3) Fill with wakefulness. Thankfully, I already had some stores of coffee wakefulness available at the time, and so I used these caffienated drinks stores in order to fill the minds without paying a fortune sleeping.

4) Burn.

Results

Inexplicably, I have severe oesophagus lacerations (maybe due to the use of small bronze spikes, after a failed Hemalurgy experiment), and have not gained any other perceivable benefit from burning the coins, except extreme constipation.

Conclusion

I am not a Seeker, or an Allomancer of any kind (information sourced from other, similar, experiments, involving water, zinc dust, and a lot of stomach cramps). However, Feruchemical coffee Bronze is as effective as ever, allowing me to multi-task this write up with more ecstatic stock reports.

Note: Do not ingest coins, or in fact metal of any kind in concurrence with this experiment. They don't taste very nice, and nor does hospital food.

• Chaos locked this topic