Stabilizing Harmonium

Trusk'our

We've seen in RoW that you can use Tones to merge two types of Investiture. 

Could you perhaps make Harmonium less reactive by "calming" it with the right Tones, merging them more completely or competently?

Perhaps then you could discover its Allomantic and Feruchemical properties. 

49 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

Could you perhaps make Harmonium less reactive by "calming" it with the right Tones, merging them more completely or competently?

I think that would depend on what the tone of Harmonium is. If it's one tone of Harmony then no, if it's two tones of Ruin and Preservation separate then maybe, if they are already merged into one tone then probably not - they are already merged into Harmonious tone.

7 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

One might conjecture that the harmony between two different tones/rhythms being necessary to merge two types of Investiture is precisely what Harmony is

Spoiler

Questioner

Is there a significance between Harmony and Discord being musical terms? And would they be considered different Investiture tones? 

Brandon Sanderson

Yes and no. So what's going on here is that... it is significant, I chose those two terms very specifically. Not gonna tell you a lot about Discord or things like that, but the idea is that idea of Harmony is in... the sounds are in harmony, they are working together. In Discord they are not. I wouldn't call them Investiture tones, more the way the two tones are responding to each other.

JordanCon 2021 (July 17, 2021)

You can further wonder if Discord, which I guess you could imagine might separate Harmonium or could cause it to instantly detonate, could be somehow created with specific application of tones in a perfect un-harmony, but as everything that comes even close to Harmony and Shard Tones/rhythms gets RAFO'd, and as Preservation's rhythm may simply be "The infinity of a note held perfectly, never wavering.", the concept of a dissonant/harmonious rhythm gets somewhat blurry.

Personally, I'd think that Harmony's somewhat unstable state reflects this as "the only different between a harmony and a discord between the tones/rhythms of Preservation and Ruin is Intent". 

But of course, we don't even know the status of Harmony's Tone(s). 

Spoiler

slontzeasstwink

Can more than two pure tones reach harmony? And, extending on that, does Harmony the Shard have a pure tone for itself, or is it a mix of Preservation and Ruin?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO! Excellent question, sorry to dodge that one.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 3 (Dec. 16, 2021)

Edited by MistbornMathematician

2 hours ago, Aion said:

Is Harmonium just an alloy of equal parts atrium and larazium or is it something else entirely?

Harmonium is the God Metal of Harmony. WoB:

Spoiler

Questioner

If I were to alloy atium and lerasium, would I get harmonium? Or is harmonium different after the Shards combined?

Brandon Sanderson

It's different after the Shards combined.

Questioner

If I was to take harmonium and separate it out through distillation, would I get lerasium and atium or something that functions similarly?

Brandon Sanderson

No, you would-- It actually has become a different--

Questioner

Can't be split?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. I mean, you could find a way, but you're not going to get it through normal, mechanical means.

Skyward Houston signing (Nov. 19, 2018)