Quarter Koloss or Half Koloss?

Hi everybody, I've been around for a while, but never posted much, so never had an intro. I'm LightRinger, a high schooled writer that hates writing. I love to tell stories and create worlds, but the actual writing part... Not so much. Let me know if you want a full world with functioning magic system, races, and bestiary lol.

If I was Rosharian, I'd be a Thaylen raised by Azish parents, and a Lightweaver (we don't all have emotional trauma and daddy issues). My spren's name is Language.

If I was Scadrian, I like to think I'd be a Ringer (Twinborn Compounding Chromium). I prefer Era 2 Mistborn to Era 1 in all ways but the story, make of that what you will.

If I was Selish, I'd probably be dead in a sacrificial ritual honestly.

I'm trying to GM some low-key MAG games with my friends, so I'll post questions about that probably. I love fun magic systems and figuring out how to abuse them, so ask me about my Scadrian Tin theories (either Hemalurgic or Unkeyed Metalmind). Also, what would the child of a Koloss-Blooded person and a normal human be called? They're not Quarter, because their mother (for example) is a full Koloss Blood, but Half Koloss doesn't feel right, seeing as they'd be more human than Full Koloss. Love to hear y'all's thoughts!

I'm reading the Wheel of Time, but I'm fully caught up in the Cosmere. My favorite Brandon book is either Alloy of Law or Aether of Night. (I know, go ahead and judge)

(If you can't tell, I love to use parentheses.) 

Alright, that's enough of me, so...

Till the next weird question or thought I have,

- LightRinger

Welcome to the Shard! I might imagine they'd just be called koloss-blooded as well, at least for a generation or two, and then who knows. 

Posted (edited)

@AonEne, thank you! And that’s a great point. 
@The Sibling my favorite Cosmere character is probably Ham, or Sarene. They both have complex character without being someone I would avoid IRL. 

Edited by LightRinger
Lack of punctuation

Posted (edited)

@Aeternum

Thank you! I like your user name, I have a friend that’s writing a book about a group called Aeturnums. Where’d you come up with it?

Edited by LightRinger
Adding Aeturnum’s name.

Welcome to the Shard! Do you have a favorite kind of bagel?

Hi everybody, I've been around for a while, but never posted much, so never had an intro. I'm LightRinger, a high schooled writer that hates writing. I love to tell stories and create worlds, but the actual writing part... Not so much. Let me know if you want a full world with functioning magic system, races, and bestiary lol.

Heh, same. I have a world building project I've been chiseling away at for 3-4 years now and I haven't written any of it down lol.

Edited by justice magician

22 minutes ago, LightRinger said:

@Aeternum

Thank you! I like your user name, I have a friend that’s writing a book about a group called Aeturnums. Where’d you come up with it?

I think I google translated a word into Latin like four years ago and here we are. :lol:

Just now, LightRinger said:

@justice magician, I prefer blueberry or Parmesan, I can’t tolerate cinnamon raisin. Are you really a magician? I have been doing magic for many years now and it’s a blast. 

@AeternumThat’s really fun! I bet that resonated with writers everywhere. 

Nice! blueberry is great! 

I'm not really a magician unfortunately, the name comes from a niche meme that circled a few years ago. (if you can guess it that'd be so cool)

36 minutes ago, LightRinger said:

Does it have the format of this wonderful meme? (Alas, not mine)

image.jpeg

Hmmm it could have been, but I didn't see it in that particular format.

5 hours ago, LightRinger said:

If I was Rosharian, I'd be a Thaylen raised by Azish parents, and a Lightweaver (we don't all have emotional trauma and daddy issues). My spren's name is Language.

If I was Scadrian, I like to think I'd be a Ringer (Twinborn Compounding Chromium). I prefer Era 2 Mistborn to Era 1 in all ways but the story, make of that what you will.

If I was Selish, I'd probably be dead in a sacrificial ritual honestly.

I'm trying to GM some low-key MAG games with my friends, so I'll post questions about that probably. I love fun magic systems and figuring out how to abuse them, so ask me about my Scadrian Tin theories (either Hemalurgic or Unkeyed Metalmind). Also, what would the child of a Koloss-Blooded person and a normal human be called? They're not Quarter, because their mother (for example) is a full Koloss Blood, but Half Koloss doesn't feel right, seeing as they'd be more human than Full Koloss. Love to hear y'all's thoughts!

I'm reading the Wheel of Time, but I'm fully caught up in the Cosmere. My favorite Brandon book is either Alloy of Law or Aether of Night. (I know, go ahead and judge)

(If you can't tell, I love to use parentheses.) 

Alright, that's enough of me, so...

Till the next weird question or thought I have,

- LightRinger

Oooo, I do love a good Hemalurgy theory/hack. I'd love to hear them!

And for tin specifically, I know @Koloss17 would be happy to hear them.

Also, I'm trying to make a homebrew right now for D&D 3.5 so that you can play with Mistborn and Cosmere stuff in it.

15 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

Oooo, I do love a good Hemalurgy theory/hack. I'd love to hear them!

And for tin specifically, I know @Koloss17 would be happy to hear them.

Hemalurgically, I have a few animal things, but I’m not sure if they quite work. I’ve heard somewhere that some spikes steal human attributes, not physical, but I’ll ignore that for the sake of conversation. Basically, it comes down to stealing the sense of smell or eyesight from a wolf or eagle (respectively), and giving it to yourself. Despite the obvious soul damage, it would ideally physically give you those eye qualities. 

Or, you could try to spike electroreception, magnetoreception, or infrared vision out of a cow, platypus, or salmon (not respectively, just so you have to google it).

Again, no idea how feasible it is to spike from an animal in the first place, but magnetic field vision would be dope. 

For my Unkeyed Metalmind theory, I’ll post it in the mistborn forums. 

10 minutes ago, LightRinger said:

Hemalurgically, I have a few animal things, but I’m not sure if they quite work. I’ve heard somewhere that some spikes steal human attributes, not physical, but I’ll ignore that for the sake of conversation. Basically, it comes down to stealing the sense of smell or eyesight from a wolf or eagle (respectively), and giving it to yourself. Despite the obvious soul damage, it would ideally physically give you those eye qualities. 

Or, you could try to spike electroreception, magnetoreception, or infrared vision out of a cow, platypus, or salmon (not respectively, just so you have to google it).

Again, no idea how feasible it is to spike from an animal in the first place, but magnetic field vision would be dope. 

For my Unkeyed Metalmind theory, I’ll post it in the mistborn forums. 

Sounds pretty neat! You'd definitely have to figure out how to crack the complexity of Hemalurgic attributes, but those would be some very advantageous traits.

For future reference, it is generally best to post theories and such in other forum, such as the Mistborn forum for one like this, as then people who aren't familiar with the material won't have any spoilers.

19 hours ago, Through The Living Glass said:

Hi LightRinger! Welcome to the Shard! 😁

For some reason while I was reading your first post I imagined you with an Australian accent... Idk lol. 😂

If you could visit any country on Roshar for a week, what country would it be and why?

Hi and thank you, @Through The Living Glass! It's probably because I'm Australian, even though I was born in America to American parents and have never been to Australia. I'd probably go to Azir, and live in their libraries for a week. I bet they have great libraries.

16 hours ago, Colors said:

Welcome!

What is the best magic system (and why is it Awakening)?

@Colors, I think the question you meant to ask is "What is the best magic system (and why is it not Awakening)?" I love the Heightening system, because it's measurable, attainable, and systematic. However, I believe that

1. Calling the whole system "Awakening" undermines the power of just holding breaths

and

2. The Heightenings are a very slow way to achieve power. The only characters with screen time typically have massive amounts of Breath, and you'd have to reach 2,000 before you could stay alive long enough to get more.

I think the Metallurgic system is better, because the power lottery is random, but the magic is systematic. The three branches can work in harmony (pun intended), and people born without powers can still gain them. If you don't know already, I'm a major fan of the Era 2 system as opposed to Pre-Catacendre.

4 hours ago, LightRinger said:

Hi and thank you, @Through The Living Glass! It's probably because I'm Australian, even though I was born in America to American parents and have never been to Australia. I'd probably go to Azir, and live in their libraries for a week. I bet they have great libraries.

@Colors, I think the question you meant to ask is "What is the best magic system (and why is it not Awakening)?" I love the Heightening system, because it's measurable, attainable, and systematic. However, I believe that

1. Calling the whole system "Awakening" undermines the power of just holding breaths

and

2. The Heightenings are a very slow way to achieve power. The only characters with screen time typically have massive amounts of Breath, and you'd have to reach 2,000 before you could stay alive long enough to get more.

I think the Metallurgic system is better, because the power lottery is random, but the magic is systematic. The three branches can work in harmony (pun intended), and people born without powers can still gain them. If you don't know already, I'm a major fan of the Era 2 system as opposed to Pre-Catacendre.

It was  tongue-in-cheek. I'm partial to the magic of Breaths, it's just so fun and cool...but it certainly isn't the optimal or most pragmatic magic system. 

I love that Era 2 brought about Twinborn. 

On 3/6/2024 at 2:58 PM, LightRinger said:

I think the Metallurgic system is better, because the power lottery is random, but the magic is systematic. The three branches can work in harmony (pun intended), and people born without powers can still gain them.

That is the correct answer (at least in my opinion :P).

On 3/6/2024 at 2:58 PM, LightRinger said:

If you don't know already, I'm a major fan of the Era 2 system as opposed to Pre-Catacendre.

Mine too! When first reading era 2 I wanted Mistborb and Full Ferchemists back, but I quickly grew to love the limitations of only having one or two powers.

Also, I too love the measurability of the Heightening's power. That way you can calculate and know stuff.

I really love how Hemalurgy can: 1. Give powers to anyone with the right knowledge. And 2. It's also somewhat measurable, and we'll get better measurements for it later in the series.