The Great Moash Controversy

The Great Moash Controversy  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What side are you on?

• Storm Moash
    • #Moash did nothing wrong.

Ok, so I just had a friend finish ROW, and I explained the controversy surrounding Moash. I know it's kind of a meme, but I want to know the general leaning of the fandom on this subject. Personally, I cannot forgive him for his crimes against my emotional state, but what do you guys think? Should Moash burn on Braize for the next eternity? Or should he be forgiven and have a redemption arc? Let me know!

12 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

If we can forgive old Dalinar, then, Stormfather, we can forgive Moash for killing one sympathetic character over the body of his son. (*reference reference*)

I think you have that backward.

If Moash at any time begins to genuinely feel the remorse that Old Dalinar felt over his actions, he may become worthy of earning a Redemption arc the way that Dalinar did. 

3 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

I think you have that backward.

If Moash at any time begins to genuinely feel the remorse that Old Dalinar felt over his actions, he may become worthy of earning a Redemption arc the way that Dalinar did. 

True, true, yet they both did equally horrible things, Dalinar did worse. I believe that we’ve seen the seeds do Moash’s redemption in book 4 when he is abandoned.

12 hours ago, Lighteyed Lieutenant said:

Ok, so I just had a friend finish ROW, and I explained the controversy surrounding Moash. I know it's kind of a meme, but I want to know the general leaning of the fandom on this subject. Personally, I cannot forgive him for his crimes against my emotional state, but what do you guys think? Should Moash burn on Braize for the next eternity? Or should he be forgiven and have a redemption arc? Let me know!

Oh, Moash did everything wrong, the question in the poll should be if he deserves redemption. Maybe, but right now I don't want him to get redemption - he never felt sorry for what he did. Dalinar did worse, but he at least felt remorse. But Moash is not there yet and I'm not sure if feeling remorse is enough for me. RoW ch 111:

“Teft, I…” He couldn’t say it. The words wouldn’t form. He wasn’t sorry for what he’d done. He was only sorry for how his actions made him feel.

11 hours ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

we can forgive Moash for killing one sympathetic character

In my opinion  that wasn't the worst thing Moash did. A much worse crime he committed was telling depressed Kaladin to kill himself. Even killing Teft was done to break Kaladin. That's pure malice.

In my opinion  that wasn't the worst thing Moash did. A much worse crime he committed was telling depressed Kaladin to kill himself. Even killing Teft was done to break Kaladin. That's pure malice.

I agree. Moash saw the real Kaladin, not Kaladin Stormblessed or Highmarshal Kaladin. He saw the vulnerability, and absolutely ripped into it. 

I think one of the things about Moash that troubles me deeply is how he gave his emotions away. He sold his soul to the devil so he could commit these acts. He should feel at least something, but instead, there's nothing. And the worst part it, he doesn't care. Our emotions are what make us human. And he threw them away.

20 hours ago, Lighteyed Lieutenant said:

I noticed that there's no middle ground in the pole.

In any case, Moash clearly did terrible, awful things, even going so far as murdering others.

Does he deserve redemption? Not really, no.

But, then again, I don't think anybody technically does, fictional or not.

Redemption isn't about justice, it's about mercy, and if you're willing to offer mercy to people like Dalinar, I don't see how someone could claim to be impartial and not give to others, even if you hate them (which sounds awfully similar to the Knights Radiant and their core tenets).

Now, I will also add that if Moash decided to continue harming others even after given mercy and didn't want to change as Dalinar did, then he needs to be removed from a position where he can continue that harm, whether it be a fight to the death or (perhaps more realistically) put in prison. 

Edited by Trusk'our

19 hours ago, Lighteyed Lieutenant said:

I think one of the things about Moash that troubles me deeply is how he gave his emotions away. He sold his soul to the devil so he could commit these acts. He should feel at least something, but instead, there's nothing. And the worst part it, he doesn't care. Our emotions are what make us human. And he threw them away.

I believe intent is important when discussing the possibility of forgiveness and rehabilitation. Moash has thought this through. He chose to suppress his emotions to allow him to commit acts of pure malice. When he was confronted with the reality of his actions, his first instinct was to run back to Odium. He knows what he is doing is wrong, and does not want to change. This would make it more difficult to trust him even if he does ask for forgiveness later. 

Dalinar on the other hand, was horrified when confronted with the reality of his crimes. He could have gone back to the Thrill to cover his pain and guilt, but chose not to. He knows what he did was wrong, and wants to change. That is the difference for me. 

2 hours ago, QuantumAce said:

I believe intent is important when discussing the possibility of forgiveness and rehabilitation. Moash has thought this through. He chose to suppress his emotions to allow him to commit acts of pure malice. When he was confronted with the reality of his actions, his first instinct was to run back to Odium. He knows what he is doing is wrong, and does not want to change. This would make it more difficult to trust him even if he does ask for forgiveness later. 

Dalinar on the other hand, was horrified when confronted with the reality of his crimes. He could have gone back to the Thrill to cover his pain and guilt, but chose not to. He knows what he did was wrong, and wants to change. That is the difference for me.

I was talking about it with some friends and an interesting comparison came up: Dalinar is Thor and Moash is Baldur (GoW 4 and 5). I think it's a pretty accurate analogy in several ways.