What do Zinc and brass do in Fabrials?

The Coppermind has the following to say about the use of Zinc and Brass in Fabrials:

Zinc in contact with a gemstone will cause its captured spren to more strongly manifest.

Brass in contact with a gemstone will cause its spren to withdraw and its power to dim.

I don’t really understand what this actually does (what happens when the spren manifests more/less?). Can someone explain it to me? (Preferably with the use of an example)

19 minutes ago, Nightstar The Bright said:

The Coppermind has the following to say about the use of Zinc and Brass in Fabrials:

I don’t really understand what this actually does (what happens when the spren manifests more/less?). Can someone explain it to me? (Preferably with the use of an example)

I think it just makes the Fabiral's effect stronger/weaker. Painrial uses brass to diminish pain, zinc likely amplifies pain. Coppermind:

The artifabrian Longshadow designed a painrial that was quite large, about the size of a fist,[4] and had a set of claw-like legs which were wrapped around the pained area and locked in place with a clip.[1] That particular painrial was powered by a ruby and made of polished brass.[4]

Basically zinc works with augmenters, brass with diminishers.

1 hour ago, alder24 said:

Basically zinc works with augmenters, brass with diminishers.

Wait I thought Pewter and Tin were used for Augmenter/Diminisher Fabrials? The Coppermind:

Pewter in contact with a gemstone will cause it to express a certain attribute in force, correlated to the type of spren trapped in the gemstone. This metal is the one used to create augmenter fabrials.

Tin in contact with a gemstone will cause it to diminish nearby attributes. These are called Diminisher fabrials.

So what is the difference between these metals?

1 hour ago, Nightstar The Bright said:

Wait I thought Pewter and Tin were used for Augmenter/Diminisher Fabrials? The Coppermind:

Painrial is both an Augmenter and Diminisher and it's confirmed to use at least brass. The difference might be with the type of Spren used and effect gained from an Fabrial - Painrial affects emotions and probably an emotion Spren (I guess it's a Painspren), while something like a heating fabrial affects nature Spren (Flamespren) and natural phenomena like fire/heat.

2 hours ago, Nightstar The Bright said:

43 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Painrial is both an Augmenter and Diminisher and it's confirmed to use at least brass. The difference might be with the type of Spren used and effect gained from an Fabrial - Painrial affects emotions and probably an emotion Spren (I guess it's a Painspren), while something like a heating fabrial affects nature Spren (Flamespren) and natural phenomena like fire/heat.

Don't forget that Tin/Pewter are internal metals, and Zinc/Brass are external metals. So, it is likely that the first pair increase/diminish <something> coming from the spren in the gemstone (heat from the Flamespren in a heating fabrial), while the latter incerase/diminish <something> external to the spren in the gemstone (implied by the term "manifest" in the epigraph).

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

1 hour ago, Treamayne said:

Don't forget that Tin/Pewter are internal metals, and Zinc/Brass are external metals. So, it is likely that the first pair increase/diminish <something> coming from the spren in the gemstone (heat from the Flamespren in a heating fabrial), while the latter incerase/diminish <something> external to the spren in the gemstone (implied by the term "manifest" in the epigraph).

Ah alright, thanks. What would that ‘external’ attribute be (could you name an example)?