Honor's Secrets

"To speak of what might be is forbidden." Why? It is implied that this is because the power originates with Odium, but that's a bad reason.  Practical people use whatever tools they have and prepare as best they can.  The prohibition is about keeping secrets.  The real secret that caused the recreance or the storm father's secrets.  There is only one reason though to never think about the future.  Honor knew; they're all doomed.  They have to fight anyway. Sacrifices to buy time for the Cosmere.  So Honor lied to give them a terrible false hope.  I think it killed Tanavast to do it.  He acted against the intent of the shard.   What do you think Honor doesn't want people to know about the future?

28 minutes ago, ConfusedCow said:

"To speak of what might be is forbidden." Why? It is implied that this is because the power originates with Odium, but that's a bad reason.  Practical people use whatever tools they have and prepare as best they can.  The prohibition is about keeping secrets.  The real secret that caused the recreance or the storm father's secrets.  There is only one reason though to never think about the future.  Honor knew; they're all doomed.  They have to fight anyway. Sacrifices to buy time for the Cosmere.  So Honor lied to give them a terrible false hope.  I think it killed Tanavast to do it.  He acted against the intent of the shard.   What do you think Honor doesn't want people to know about the future?

It's more that Honor is bad at seeing the future. Most of Future-Sight stuff on Roshar does come from Odium more often than not. (Renarin, Nightform, Death Rattles, etc.)

It's probably just Tanavast's way of saying "Yo, watch out for Seers, they're probably huffing Odium's gas".

7 hours ago, ConfusedCow said:

Yes, at least one reason is that Honor isn't that good at looking at the future, he admitted it himself, WoK ch 75:

The gure squinted at the horizon. “I cannot see the future completely. Cultivation, she is better at it than I. It’s as if the future is a shattering window. The further you look, the more pieces that window breaks into. The near future can be anticipated, but the distant future … I can only guess.”

But I think you're right. Honor wasn't that honorable as his name suggests. He doomed Roshar on purpose, to protect Cosmere from Odium, deceived humanity to fight a war that was already lost and he tried to keep it secret from them. All of this was done to keep Odium in Rosher, no matter the cost, even if he really cared about people.