[Sunlit Man+Stormlight Archive] The fate of Kaladin during the Space Age?

In The Sunlit Man, Sigzil originally mistakes Hoid for Kaladin.

Spoiler

That... was a person standing there, wasn't it? Holding something that glowed in his fingers, a sphere. Wearing a uniform, facing away from Nomad, looking out through the darkness.

Storms. It couldn't be. It couldn't.

Ignoring Auxiliary's second prompting for an explanation, Nomad walked forward. Haunted by what he might find. Worried that he was going mad. Yet desperate to know. Could it...

"Kal?" he asked into the storm.

Personally, this seems to suggest Sigzil hasn't seen Kaladin in a very, very long time. This got me thinking about Kaladin's fate. Did he die? Or is he still around during the Space Age of the Cosmere? If the latter is true, then that would also mean that he and Sigzil have not met in a while. Thoughts?

I think Nomal thought he say a Ghost, and not a nice logical Cognitive Shadow.  He wasnt sure if he was just going mad and/or seeing things.  So I dont think his rational mind has any actual knowledge or belief that Kaladin is still alive.  

15 hours ago, BlueWildRye said:

Personally, this seems to suggest Sigzil hasn't seen Kaladin in a very, very long time. This got me thinking about Kaladin's fate. Did he die? Or is he still around during the Space Age of the Cosmere? If the latter is true, then that would also mean that he and Sigzil have not met in a while. Thoughts?

Agreed he has not seen him in a very long time.

To me his certainty with the 'it couldnt' indicates to me that Kaladin died a long time ago. I like to imagine it was peacefully from old age. Kaladin doesnt seem the type to become immortal.

The worldhoppers are generally not who you expect them to be (like sigzil)

3 hours ago, CtrlAltDepressed said:

peacefully from old age

I doubt that. I think Sigzil wouldn't have believed the tall figure in the uniform to be Kal if he knew his friend had grown old. But I agree, Kaladin doesn't seem the type to turn into a cognitive shadow. So... I suppose that's what expert teasing looks like. Brandon knew that line would send us theorizing and made it completely impossible to decipher :) 

4 hours ago, CtrlAltDepressed said:

Kaladin doesnt seem the type to become immortal.

Yeah I kind of doubt paladin will ever do anything like become a world hopper. He really doesn't have that same personality that seems to make people like Hoid and Khriss wo well suited to it. The only way I could see him lasting longer than his normal lifespan would be by becoming a herald or something like that, where he's essentially sacrificing himself to protect other but in a way that still leaves him alive.

I don't really want that to happen though because I think it would just be really sad and not really complete his character arc.

I hate the thought of Kaladin dying.

Honestly though, I think Sig simply doesn't know what happened to Kaladin. If he knew for sure that Kaladin was dead, why would his mind immediately jump to Kaladin when he sees a tall man in a coat? I know that they were extremely close, but Sig has been on the run for quite a while, he has seen and met a wide variety of people in his 100  or so years (at least) of jumping around the Cosmere. 

He wouldn't exactly be 'desperate to know' if he knew what had happened to Kaladin already.

On 5/22/2024 at 2:29 PM, CtrlAltDepressed said:

To me his certainty with the 'it couldnt' indicates to me that Kaladin died a long time ago. I like to imagine it was peacefully from old age. Kaladin doesnt seem the type to become immortal.

The worldhoppers are generally not who you expect them to be (like sigzil)

It may mean that Kaladin was still alive when Sigzil became a hunted man, so he strictly speaking does not know what happened to Kaladin, he just expects him to be dead from old age based simply on time.