Teleportation : A mystery/chaotic RP

3 hours ago, J. Magi said:

"Hmmm but ships don't have wings." He contemplated this deeply. "I suppose they fly through your magic reasoning, huh."

“Ever seen a steam engine or aeropile? They move like that, but bigger. There’s also some stuff that makes them go faster than they should, involving something that’s sorta gravity, but that’s not important.” 
As your conversation with Kaleb continues, SIMON speaks in your ear. “You know I can still hear you, right? There is the placebo effect. If people are given a medicine they think will work, even if it’s just sugar and coloring, they sometimes get better. So you’re kinda right, though it doesn’t work on things out of your control, you might be able to resist a ‘possession’ by not believing in it.” 

1 hour ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

“Oh, you’ll have to convert. The crystal only listens to followers of the moon.”

Nick shrugs, but his eyes are wide. “Those crystals are literal miracles. If they are powered by your religion, and can sense that someone believes, that’s proof for it. Can you tell me the basics of your beliefs so you can convert me?” 

22 minutes ago, Dragonheir said:

“Ever seen a steam engine or aeropile? They move like that, but bigger. There’s also some stuff that makes them go faster than they should, involving something that’s sorta gravity, but that’s not important.” 
As your conversation with Kaleb continues, SIMON speaks in your ear. “You know I can still hear you, right? There is the placebo effect. If people are given a medicine they think will work, even if it’s just sugar and coloring, they sometimes get better. So you’re kinda right, though it doesn’t work on things out of your control, you might be able to resist a ‘possession’ by not believing in it.” 

Nick shrugs, but his eyes are wide. “Those crystals are literal miracles. If they are powered by your religion, and can sense that someone believes, that’s proof for it. Can you tell me the basics of your beliefs so you can convert me?” 

"The moon lord is the great and highest power. He is king of the higher realm, his holy animal being the Elk. His weaker brother, the sun, wants his power. He uses sun-demons to take people away, consuming their souls to provide more energy to himself. The moon lord provides the ice and cold to the world, keeping it alive, while the sun tries to scorch it away with his flames. We perform rituals to form and use the crystals. We occasionally give sacrifices, things we love dearly, to the moon lord, if we are in need. When the time comes, he will take us up to his frozen pine woods to live with the holy elk and bears peacefully, and the unfaithful will be burned by the sun along with the earth." Kaleb says in one long breath, panting. "Any questions?"

41 minutes ago, Dragonheir said:

Aki nodded. He'd seen steam boats in various harbors his whole life, though he'd never been on one. For all he knew they could fly.

42 minutes ago, Dragonheir said:

"I guess it just seems strategically better to believe the thing that would give me an advantage, even if it's only a chance."

39 minutes ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

"The moon lord is the great and highest power. He is king of the higher realm, his holy animal being the Elk. His weaker brother, the sun, wants his power. He uses sun-demons to take people away, consuming their souls to provide more energy to himself. The moon lord provides the ice and cold to the world, keeping it alive, while the sun tries to scorch it away with his flames. We perform rituals to form and use the crystals. We occasionally give sacrifices, things we love dearly, to the moon lord, if we are in need. When the time comes, he will take us up to his frozen pine woods to live with the holy elk and bears peacefully, and the unfaithful will be burned by the sun along with the earth." Kaleb says in one long breath, panting. "Any questions?"

Nick nods along. He looks slightly alarmed at the sacrifices part, presumably because he has essentially three things with him. “Does your moon match the crystals, or is it stone? What does your theology say about the stars, considering that they are essentially suns that are far away? Or the fact that many of my people’s settlements are built on moons, because they are easier to leave from if needed? Or the fact that elk, pine, and moons don’t exist on many other planets? Your theology is solid, though. The sun will indeed expand and burn away most planets that are supported by it, and the universe itself will eventually be heated up evenly, and without a source of cold, nothing would be able to happen. The sacrifices, though- wait a second. Do I need to convert; or does SIMON?” 

He he he. Loopholes! 
This is a kinda selfish way to convert to a religion, anyway. Also, I like how everyone (including Nick) forgot about Nick’s actual questions. 

44 minutes ago, J. Magi said:

Aki nodded. He'd seen steam boats in various harbors his whole life, though he'd never been on one. For all he knew they could fly.

SIMON shows a graphic of expanding steam pushing a piston, next to expanding glowing stuff (a fusion torch) pushing a rocket forward, likely correcting the misconception. 

3 minutes ago, Dragonheir said:

SIMON shows a graphic of expanding steam pushing a piston, next to expanding glowing stuff (a fusion torch) pushing a rocket forward, likely correcting the misconception. 

Aki did not understand the graph very well, adding to his misconception on how it worked.

11 minutes ago, J. Magi said:

Aki did not understand the graph very well, adding to his misconception on how it worked.

Seeing his confusion, SIMON explains. “Things expanding can be used for power. The steam expanding pushes the piston to power the sea ships, and the star-like material here-“ the fusion torch is circled “-pushes the spaceship forward.” Nick says “or does SIMON?” from over by Kaleb. “I think Nick needs something. Unless you have another question, you should probably give the glasses back.” 

8 minutes ago, Dragonheir said:

Seeing his confusion, SIMON explains. “Things expanding can be used for power. The steam expanding pushes the piston to power the sea ships, and the star-like material here-“ the fusion torch is circled “-pushes the spaceship forward.” Nick says “or does SIMON?” from over by Kaleb. “I think Nick needs something. Unless you have another question, you should probably give the glasses back.” 

"Oh. No. That's fine."

He gave Nick his gave Nick the glasses back, relief written on his face. That sort of stuff was not for him.

42 minutes ago, Dragonheir said:

Nick nods along. He looks slightly alarmed at the sacrifices part, presumably because he has essentially three things with him. “Does your moon match the crystals, or is it stone? What does your theology say about the stars, considering that they are essentially suns that are far away? Or the fact that many of my people’s settlements are built on moons, because they are easier to leave from if needed? Or the fact that elk, pine, and moons don’t exist on many other planets? Your theology is solid, though. The sun will indeed expand and burn away most planets that are supported by it, and the universe itself will eventually be heated up evenly, and without a source of cold, nothing would be able to happen. The sacrifices, though- wait a second. Do I need to convert; or does SIMON?” 

"The moon is in the heavens, no one has been that high. The stars are the Holy Elk and Bears roaming in the sky. I... do not know about your other questions. I believe... well, I do not know if demon-- I mean Simon-- could convert." 

10 hours ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

"The moon is in the heavens, no one has been that high. The stars are the Holy Elk and Bears roaming in the sky. I... do not know about your other questions. I believe... well, I do not know if demon-- I mean Simon-- could convert." 

“Is the moon the same blue color as the crystals, though? I’ve been to several moons; most of them were made from water and ice. The one from the human homeworld is apparently pale grey, and is like stone covered in dust. I should really go see earth some time.” Nick takes his glasses back from Aki. After giving SIMON a quiet run-down, he continues. “I like your core theology. It makes sense. Earth had a problem one time, where too much smoke in the sky almost caused it to overheat. But I’ve been to the stars. As far as I could tell, they weren’t alive.” He looks conflicted. “Your deity seems to be a real thing, but some of your theology doesn’t match what I know. Would I still be able to convert, even if I don’t think the heavens and the sky are the same?” 

1 hour ago, Dragonheir said:

“Is the moon the same blue color as the crystals, though? I’ve been to several moons; most of them were made from water and ice. The one from the human homeworld is apparently pale grey, and is like stone covered in dust. I should really go see earth some time.” Nick takes his glasses back from Aki. After giving SIMON a quiet run-down, he continues. “I like your core theology. It makes sense. Earth had a problem one time, where too much smoke in the sky almost caused it to overheat. But I’ve been to the stars. As far as I could tell, they weren’t alive.” He looks conflicted. “Your deity seems to be a real thing, but some of your theology doesn’t match what I know. Would I still be able to convert, even if I don’t think the heavens and the sky are the same?” 

Kaleb thought about it for a moment. “The moon is pale blue. Grayish blue? And… yes, you could convert, even with that thought of sky and heavens. Many believe the sky is just a pale reflection of the power of the heavens, peeking through the realms.”

5 minutes ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

Kaleb thought about it for a moment. “The moon is pale blue. Grayish blue? And… yes, you could convert, even with that thought of sky and heavens. Many believe the sky is just a pale reflection of the power of the heavens, peeking through the realms.”

“Ok. How do I actually convert?” 

23 minutes ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

“Eat that rock.” He said, gesturing to the crystal.

I’d been imagining these a fist sized, but presumably they aren’t.

Nick nods. Then, he attempts to ceremonially consume the rock. 

1 hour ago, Dragonheir said:

I’d been imagining these a fist sized, but presumably they aren’t.

Nick nods. Then, he attempts to ceremonially consume the rock. 

They're like a marble

It flashes, Popping in his stomach, and he starts feeling much colder.

"Yep! Welcome, convert!!!"

10 minutes ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

It flashes, Popping in his stomach, and he starts feeling much colder.

"Yep! Welcome, convert!!!"

“Huh. Cold. I think I need two more. One to channel the power of the moon lord, and one to convert SIMON through my xenosuit. Uh, I’m honored to become a follower of the moon lord.” 

Huh. Are they round enough to roll? 

1 minute ago, Dragonheir said:

“Huh. Cold. I think I need two more. One to channel the power of the moon lord, and one to convert SIMON through my xenosuit. Uh, I’m honored to become a follower of the moon lord.” 

Not really, they're more like a salt crystal. If you work, you can become a crystal sharpshooter like Kaleb though.

Kaleb pulls two out, handing them to Nick. "Honored to have you."

20 minutes ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

Kaleb pulls two out, handing them to Nick. "Honored to have you."

Nick places one on his chest, then covers it with the last of the solar mat. A pulse of blue spreads out from it. “Was that really necessary, SIMON?” “Nope! I did get a drop in thermal energy and an increase in radiant and some sort of concussive wave, though. I didn’t get a chance to do a chemistry analysis.” Nick takes the other crystal, and fits it to the base of the fans he made. He twists to lock them together, and it’s clear that they’re not fans, they’re wings. “I’m gonna trick the sun into giving me a bunch of energy by hiding it in the crystal. What would I say to do that?” 

I decided to put things SIMON writes to Nick in that turquoise. The other characters can’t read it for several reasons. 
Was SIMON able to measure anything other than the cold, flash, and pop? Does the cold last? 

2 minutes ago, Dragonheir said:

Nick places one on his chest, then covers it with the last of the solar mat. A pulse of blue spreads out from it. “Was that really necessary, SIMON?” “Nope! I did get a drop in thermal energy and an increase in radiant and some sort of concussive wave, though. I didn’t get a chance to do a chemistry analysis.” Nick takes the other crystal, and fits it to the base of the fans he made. He twists to lock them together, and it’s clear that they’re not fans, they’re wings. “I’m gonna trick the sun into giving me a bunch of energy by hiding it in the crystal. What would I say to do that?” 

The cold will last, the cold flash pop is all

"Um..." Kaleb thought for a second. "It would be a normal exorcism, but with power modifications? I would be careful not to try and absorb too much. It might explode?" He leaned over and whispered the incantation to Nick.

36 minutes ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

"Um..." Kaleb thought for a second. "It would be a normal exorcism, but with power modifications? I would be careful not to try and absorb too much. It might explode?" He leaned over and whispered the incantation to Nick.

Nick whispers the exorcism, then commands. “Heat of the sun begone from these wings!” Water droplets and frost forms on them, and the crystal set in the back glows. 

So is Nick always cold now? Can you either PM or post all the powers and limitations of these things? Or at least all you have so far. Can Nick go “demon of the sun, begone from that person over there”, and have it work? 

Edited by Dragonheir
Rephrased exorcism

2 minutes ago, Dragonheir said:

Nick whispers the exorcism, then commands. “Power of the sun begone from these wings!” Water droplets and frost forms on them, and the crystal set in the back glows. 

Yes, but not uncomfortably 

Powers: Freezes things when it comes in contact with them (needs intent), takes in hear and energy, if has taken in heat it can give it back/use it to burn stuff. Limitations: can only hold and freeze so much

No, it has to be touching them.

“Nice.” Kaleb says, grinning.

6 minutes ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

“Nice.” Kaleb says, grinning.

Nick grins back. “Indeed.” 

Did Nick actually need to convert, or did he just need to eat one of the crystals? If he ate a bunch, would he freeze to death? Do those things raise absolute zero? 

3 minutes ago, Dragonheir said:

Nick grins back. “Indeed.” 

Man, you are a very big scientist

Yes, he actually had to convert. If he hadn’t, he would’ve frozen to death when he ate it.

No, he’d get colder and colder but it uses magic to make you resist the temperature

Raise absolute zero? What do you mean? Like make 0K no longer 0K?

“So… now you’re gonna use that to do your weird gibberish stuff?”

1 minute ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

“So… now you’re gonna use that to do your weird gibberish stuff?”

“Yeah, when the ice melts, I will have tricked the sun into giving me a bunch of energy I can steal from it.” Nick clicks the wings into the back of the suit. “If I had some metal, it’d be faster, but this will work.” 

Yeah, I kinda am. If the crystals reduce the thermal energy in something, without it warming up, then it has to vibrate less at a given temperature. So if the crystal makes Nick one degree colder, then his molecules will stop vibrating at 1 kelvin rather than 0.