Teleportation : A mystery/chaotic RP

19 minutes ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

"It's ice, but yeah. We'll stay here in the storm. It should hold for pretty extreme weather."

"Ice... Of course..." Larry nods along, but is almost obviously not doing well in figuring out how and why it's made of ice. He continues "investigating" (knocking and slapping) the wall, wondering if it would actually hold up against a storm

I'm realizing he was either unconscious or not present for most of the magic shenanigans that happened

Edited by AltonicKeys

21 hours ago, Dragonheir said:

“What the? Exotic matter?” Nick dashes to grab one of the xenosuits he’d made, tossing it onto the Magmarak. “SIMON - drain and contain as much of the saliva as possible. I’ll put on the xenosuits here, so we can absorb them; I’ll leave one to see if it comes with us.” He begins to do so, layering the suits so that the resources can be consolidated. 

“We can do other experiments with the teleportation later; I don’t want to risk setting it off early. And we should do something about the people there.”
“We could leave your glasses with them. I could explain things, then help their culture with the tech you’ve brought.”
“But then where would you be?” 
“I made a copy of myself. It’s, well… it’s in your head. I had a lot of extra space, and I was worried that the glasses would be destroyed, and you need me to keep your body together, so…” 

“We’ll talk later. Right now we’ve got a time limit. I can take the hood off for short periods now, right?” Nick goes over to the strange gray people, and ceremoniously sets the last xenosuit and his glasses on the ground. Then, he goes over to the likely dead Magmarak, connecting his suit to the one draining it so all the strange heat substance doesn’t get left behind. He waits, biding his time till he disappears. 

The Magmarak dies, and you appear beside the others in their little ice/crystal dome that is holding steadily against the storm.

Ha! You owe me 450! He survived!  A new voice says.

The Magmarak's saliva is successfully contained, but is losing its heat fairly quickly. 

5 minutes ago, The Stormfather said:

The Magmarak dies, and you appear beside the others in their little ice/crystal dome that is holding steadily against the storm.

The Magmarak's saliva is successfully contained, but is losing its heat fairly quickly. 

"Ok, first of all, that was rude of them, and second of all. why are you all warm."

Edited by TheRavenHasLanded

1 hour ago, The Stormfather said:

"Hey! Is that Nick?" Aki stuck his head out of the hut.

21 minutes ago, J. Magi said:

1 hour ago, TheRavenHasLanded said:

"Ok, first of all, that was rude of them, and second of all. why are you all warm."

3 hours ago, AltonicKeys said:

"Ice... Of course..." Larry nods along, but is almost obviously not doing well in figuring out how and why it's made of ice. He continues "investigating" (knocking and slapping) the wall, wondering if it would actually hold up against a storm

"Yeah, ice! Cool, huh? A trick I learned living in the woods. Hard to master, but once you do you get," He gestures around the dome, "This."

Kaleb jumps, then grins. He runs over and hugs Nick. "You lived! Don't you dare disappear again, you son of an entitled moose carcass."

@Dragonheir

Finally! 

1 hour ago, TheRavenHasLanded said:

17 minutes ago, J. Magi said:

Nick is indeed radiating a worrying amount of heat. His suit starts to crumble, somehow, cracking off in sections which fall apart further as they hit the ground. He’s got his hood up, and the area beneath the crumbling outer layer is colorful. They’re familiar colors; a blueish white, a bright yellow, and a blue-green. His wings fold behind him, and he sighs. “Theoretically I’m Nick. They put me into a volcano, which essentially killed me. SIMON had to rebuild my body from scratch in order to bring me back.” 
He pulls the hood off, and he still looks the same, but the texture of his skin is slightly strange. In fact, much of him lies just this side of uncanny valley: he’s moving slightly too fast, and not blinking enough. “My body is pretty much the same; when SIMON could, he actually made it better. I’ll heal faster, move faster, and be tolerant to extreme temperatures. All of me is more efficient.” 
His shoulders slump. “The one thing that’s not the same is my brain. Human minds - any sapient’s mind, actually - are incredibly complex. They’re hard to get quite right. I still have the same memories, but my brain chemistry is a little different, which will change my personality a bit. Some people have argued the thesusing makes you a different person.” 

5 minutes ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

Kaleb jumps, then grins. He runs over and hugs Nick. "You lived! Don't you dare disappear again, you son of an entitled moose carcass."

Nick springs away, moving faster than he should but tripping, not used to his own speed. “I’ll hug you in a moment. I was just in an active volcano; touching me will burn you.” Having an idea, he takes his moon crystal and performs an exorcism, then hugs Kaleb. 

2 minutes ago, Dragonheir said:

Nick is indeed radiating a worrying amount of heat. His suit starts to crumble, somehow, cracking off in sections which fall apart further as they hit the ground. He’s got his hood up, and the area beneath the crumbling outer layer is colorful. They’re familiar colors; a blueish white, a bright yellow, and a blue-green. His wings fold behind him, and he sighs. “Theoretically I’m Nick. They put me into a volcano, which essentially killed me. SIMON had to rebuild my body from scratch in order to bring me back.” 
He pulls the hood off, and he still looks the same, but the texture of his skin is slightly strange. In fact, much of him lies just this side of uncanny valley: he’s moving slightly too fast, and not blinking enough. “My body is pretty much the same; when SIMON could, he actually made it better. I’ll heal faster, move faster, and be tolerant to extreme temperatures. All of me is more efficient.” 
His shoulders slump. “The one thing that’s not the same is my brain. Human minds - any sapient’s mind, actually - are incredibly complex. They’re hard to get quite right. I still have the same memories, but my brain chemistry is a little different, which will change my personality a bit. Some people have argued the thesusing makes you a different person.” 

Nick springs away, moving faster than he should but tripping, not used to his own speed. “I’ll hug you in a moment. I was just in an active volcano; touching me will burn you.” Having an idea, he takes his moon crystal and performs an exorcism, then hugs Kaleb. 

Aki helps him into the ice hut, careful not to get any burns.

"Well, you still seem close enough to Nick to me, I mean, you probably have the same soul in there right?"

Edited by J. Magi

Just now, J. Magi said:

Aki helps him into the ice hut, careful not to get any burns.

"Well, you still seem close enough to Nick to me, I mean, you probably have the same soul in there right?"

“How should I know? Anyway, I can’t bring myself back to life many more times. The changes add up, and it’s very difficult to actually revert me to full human. We’re not meant to grow fast, so converting me back would take a lot of messing around that would make me even less like myself.” 

1 minute ago, Dragonheir said:

“How should I know? Anyway, I can’t bring myself back to life many more times. The changes add up, and it’s very difficult to actually revert me to full human. We’re not meant to grow fast, so converting me back would take a lot of messing around that would make me even less like myself.” 

"Alright then, we'd better make sure you take it easy then." Aki hands him a dry, tasteless cracker to eat.

4 minutes ago, J. Magi said:

"Alright then, we'd better make sure you take it easy then." Aki hands him a dry, tasteless cracker to eat.

“That might legitimately poison me.” “Nick, you can eat anything now.” “Never mind. I’ll take it, I guess.” Suddenly, you realize something: Nick’s glasses are gone. 

“That might legitimately poison me.” “Nick, you can eat anything now.” “Never mind. I’ll take it, I guess.” Suddenly, you realize something: Nick’s glasses are gone. 

"Did you make your eyes change too?" Aki asked after noticing. "That must be handy."

1 minute ago, J. Magi said:

"Did you make your eyes change too?" Aki asked after noticing. "That must be handy."

“I did, but the main function of the glasses was SIMON. If the glasses got too far away, this new body would stop working, so his system is directly in my head now. I do have enough metal to construct some new ones for you four, if you still want them.” 
 @The Stormfather, did Nick’s experiment work? He left a quasi-xenosuit and the glasses near the gray people to see if they came with him. 

3 minutes ago, Dragonheir said:

“I did, but the main function of the glasses was SIMON. If the glasses got too far away, this new body would stop working, so his system is directly in my head now. I do have enough metal to construct some new ones for you four, if you still want them.” 
 @The Stormfather, did Nick’s experiment work? He left a quasi-xenosuit and the glasses near the gray people to see if they came with him. 

"Oh, nice." Aki said, trying to hide his concern about how SIMON was inside his head.

25 minutes ago, Dragonheir said:

Kaleb lets him go, holding him by the shoulders and looking him over. "Yep. Still seem like Nick to me. Just a bit faster. Bet I could still beat you in a footrace though."

6 minutes ago, Dragonheir said:

"I'll take one!" Kaleb raises his hand, grinning.

7 minutes ago, J. Magi said:

"Oh, nice." Aki said, trying to hide his concern about how SIMON was inside his head.

“SIMON is only connected to my brain at five points: he can hear and see what I do; he can add visuals and audio, which aren’t real and thus cannot obscure my vision or hearing; and he can hear active thoughts if I send them to him - I need to practice doing that before it will work.” 

7 minutes ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

Kaleb lets him go, holding him by the shoulders and looking him over. "Yep. Still seem like Nick to me. Just a bit faster. Bet I could still beat you in a footrace though."

"I'll take one!" Kaleb raises his hand, grinning.

“You’re on for that, once this storm stops. And I’ll get started on the advisor glasses - I’m going to start with SIMON as a template, but then you can make suggestions for preferences.” 

Do you want to play the advisor AI, or shall I? 

“SIMON is only connected to my brain at five points: he can hear and see what I do; he can add visuals and audio, which aren’t real and thus cannot obscure my vision or hearing; and he can hear active thoughts if I send them to him - I need to practice doing that before it will work.” 

“You’re on for that, once this storm stops. And I’ll get started on the advisor glasses - I’m going to start with SIMON as a template, but then you can make suggestions for preferences.” 

I'll play AI.

Just tell me limitations and rules and whatnot

"Awesome. Thanks! Name him... Owen. If you can." Kaleb gets a distant look. "Make him my age in... like how he acts."

Edited by Ancient Elantrian

12 minutes ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

He tries even harder not to be disturbed.

"But if I were the suit it won't be connected directly to my brain . . . right?'

1 hour ago, Dragonheir said:

The quasi-xenosuit and the glasses stayed behind.

Everyone... Meryyn's voice sounds up above. Grim. I- I couldn't stop him. But I can give you a shot. One chance. The roster of teleports was left open to additions to the viewer. I snuck one in. My father was always terrible at making internet firewalls. I got right through, adding it to the new set of places. It should be soon. Get some rest, tend your wounds, and prepare yourself. The machine that he has... The general populace don't see the risks. They don't care for other dimensions. But I... Well, I've always been a bit different. Should be two or three more teleports until...

Until you arrive.

Here.

But first, well, turns out when my father was punishing me for talking to you the first time, he set something inside me.

He threatened to send me over to you if I disobeyed again. Put me in the cycle of teleportation. Turns out, there's some neat things you can do when there's a piece of raw transportation energy in your back. He shouldn't be able to find me here.

At least, if he doesn't have the same abilities.

Anyways, be ready to fight.

You're coming over here. 

@Dragonheir @Ancient Elantrian @J. Magi @AltonicKeys

1 hour ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

"Awesome. Thanks! Name him... Owen. If you can." Kaleb gets a distant look. "Make him my age in... like how he acts."

Nick nods, seeming to understand Kaleb's wistfulness. "I will." 

The AI are person-like. Advanced ones like SIMON (who Nick upgraded repeatedly - a basic AI would not seem nearly as alive) have personalities, but their main function is to explain things, transferring information and instructions between machines and their charge. They are also excellent at reading people, and sometimes perform actions they know are needed before being asked. As for limitations, they don't really have many rules in place. Just imagine a person who has access to the internet, with inhumanly fast typing and reading skills, plus very good social observations. Individual programs they access have more rules, for instance the translation software works through circumlocution and context, meaning that initially it is very bad, and new concepts and topics are difficult to communicate quickly. 

I'm probably going to get off the shard soon; I may spontaneously disappear till tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, J. Magi said:

He tries even harder not to be disturbed.

"But if I were the suit it won't be connected directly to my brain . . . right?'

"Of course not. That's what the glasses are for; people generally don't like being directly modified unless there's a really good reason."

10 minutes ago, The Stormfather said:

The quasi-xenosuit and the glasses stayed behind.

Everyone... Meryyn's voice sounds up above. Grim. I- I couldn't stop him. But I can give you a shot. One chance. The roster of teleports was left open to additions to the viewer. I snuck one in. My father was always terrible at making internet firewalls. I got right through, adding it to the new set of places. It should be soon. Get some rest, tend your wounds, and prepare yourself. The machine that he has... The general populace don't see the risks. They don't care for other dimensions. But I... Well, I've always been a bit different. Should be two or three more teleports until...

Until you arrive.

Here.

But first, well, turns out when my father was punishing me for talking to you the first time, he set something inside me.

He threatened to send me over to you if I disobeyed again. Put me in the cycle of teleportation. Turns out, there's some neat things you can do when there's a piece of raw transportation energy in your back. He shouldn't be able to find me here.

At least, if he doesn't have the same abilities.

Anyways, be ready to fight.

You're coming over here. 

@Dragonheir @Ancient Elantrian @J. Magi @AltonicKeys

"Okay Kami-san, thanks for the help."

9 minutes ago, Dragonheir said:

"Of course not. That's what the glasses are for; people generally don't like being directly modified unless there's a really good reason."

Aki let out a huge sigh of releif.

2 hours ago, Dragonheir said:

"Thanks. It... it means a lot. It really does." Kaleb smiles, a simultaneously grateful and pained smile.

Cool.

Explanation for Kaleb's emotions: He lost a friend in a war and is still feeling that loss, hoping he'll find him (or some semblance of him) in his AI.

11 hours ago, J. Magi said:

Aki let out a huge sigh of releif.

“So you’d take one as well? You wouldn’t have to give up anything you can do already - not with the glasses and not with the suit.” 

9 hours ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

"Thanks. It... it means a lot. It really does." Kaleb smiles, a simultaneously grateful and pained smile.

Nick nods solemnly. “I’ll get started.” 

I guessed something like that. By giving feedback, Kaleb can improve how well the AI Owen matches with the human one. 

Nick turns to the other two. @AltonicKeys @TheRavenHasLanded “Would you both like advisors, and xenosuits once I can get them?” 

2 hours ago, Dragonheir said:

“So you’d take one as well? You wouldn’t have to give up anything you can do already - not with the glasses and not with the suit.” 

Nick nods solemnly. “I’ll get started.” 

Nick turns to the other two. @AltonicKeys @TheRavenHasLanded “Would you both like advisors, and xenosuits once I can get them?” 

Sleeper is napping still.