The Sunlit Ones, Fact or Fiction?

Place your bets  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Sunlit Ones real or fake?

• Real
    • Fake

The Sunlit man is titled after a legend of the "Sunlit Ones" repeatedly referenced throughout the book that goes like this:

"Long ago, a people existed who could live in the sunlight. People who could take it into themselves, rather than being destroyed by it. People who could use it. They were able to stay in one place long enough to build a city beneath the ground. These are the Sunlit Ones - those who could survive the light."

My question is simple, do people think this is fact or fiction?

Personally, I want this to be true simply because it's the more interesting answer. Imagine how cool a civilization that could channel the sun's investiture would be. Additionally, Brandon seems to enjoy having the myths in his worlds be inspired by historical events (even if they're heavily distorted as I'm sure this one is).

However, it could also just be a myth given that's how it's portrayed in the book. As I reread the book I didn't find a single hint of the Sunlit Ones: no silhouettes in the maelstrom or mention by the Night Brigade (I would love to be corrected about this). 

This means they're either well hidden or nonexistent. I doubt we'll ever see Canticle again (or at the very least for a very long time) so I wanted to see what everyone else thought. Fact or fiction?

Edited by Atlas333

2 hours ago, Atlas333 said:

Additionally, Brandon seems to enjoy having the myths in his worlds be inspired by historical events (even if they're heavily distorted as I'm sure this one is).

<snip>

Fact or fiction?

I'd have to say its the third option you mention. Fiction based on fact. There would only have to have been one person to fit the description (combined with rumors about the outpost) for that to morph into the legend we learn about in the book.