Ladies, gentlemen and gentlefolks! Boys, girls and non-binary of all ages (over 13, because site rules)! I'm proud to announce that my reading group is coming back - hopefully.

You see, there was an idea, something about a bunch of people coming together and discussing books - specifically Brandon's Secret Projects. Hence the name: Secret Project Online Reading Group. It was fun while it lasted, but sadly most people dropped out by the time the Sunlit Man came out. Maybe it was lucky, considering the point was reading at a slow pace and tSM is really not a good book to do that to.

Either way, Brandon has since announced another Secret Project - Isles of the Emberdark, which is less secret than the others in many ways, but still - it's a new book by Brandon that isn't part of a main series and that is shorter (I think) than the regular Sanderson book. So, if there are enough people willing, we can try reading it.

The concept is simple - somewhere between three to six chapters a week (we can decide when we know the book's length), discussion in a PM, hiding spoilers until everyone confirmed reading (this rule might change if there are too many people to track in the reading group) and hiding spoilers for other books.

All of that is, if we're doing Isles of the Emberdark.

The thing is, the group originally was about the Secret Projects - but I don't think it has to be. We can read other books. The original concept was based on an idea for RoW - so maybe we can try doing it with Wind and Truth (though it's problematic for a couple of reasons). Alternatively, Dragonsteel Prime is right there, next to IotE. We can try it as well. 

Really, it's all your choice. Originally, when the Year of Sanderson came to a close, one of our loyal members - @Amira - suggested we read her books. And while this offer doesn't carry the same promise a Sanderson book does, I still trust her that she writes well, so this is also a possibility.

To narrow it all down, though, I'll stick with IotE, for now, with the others remaining as possibilities. This is a sign-up thread - if you want to join write a post here and I'll invite you to our PM. You can also post suggestions and opinions, but please try not to be too negative - in my previous thread I nearly gave up because two guys joked about my idea, and while they intended no harm (the jokes were about the speed Brandon publishes) it made me uncertain of my idea, so I'd like for this kind of things not to be present.

On another note: if you've already read sample chapters, or somehow the entire book, you're allowed to join - @The Unknown Ajah and @Lego Mistborn can testify for that - as long as you make sure to note and hide spoilers, and keep the discussion to the chapters we've reached. That will earn you the title of Forereader, which either earns you eternal condemnation or praise, who knows.

One last honourable mention to our final member, @ash's_eyes, whose struggle between forereading and staying on pace lasted more-or-less throughout our reading. We'll see if she, or the others I mentioned above, might rejoin for the next cycle.

Adieu! Thank you for staying with us this far, and have a good day!

Edited by Trutharchivist

This seems cool. I can’t guarantee that my library will get the book on time, or that I won’t read the entire thing in a day, but if my schedule lines up, this would be a fun thing to do.
On a side note, is Brandon printing more copies of Dragonsteel Prime? I read the chapters that got ported to SA, and they had cool lore I want to hear about. 

Just officially noting that I'll becoming back for round two, though potentially once again as a Forereader.

2 hours ago, Dragonheir said:

This seems cool. I can’t guarantee that my library will get the book on time, or that I won’t read the entire thing in a day, but if my schedule lines up, this would be a fun thing to do.
On a side note, is Brandon printing more copies of Dragonsteel Prime? I read the chapters that got ported to SA, and they had cool lore I want to hear about. 

I'm not sure, but I think they always have a little bit of excess that they sell. And I think the link to the digital version is public somewhere on Brandon’s website.

6 hours ago, Dragonheir said:

4 hours ago, The Unknown Ajah said:

Just officially noting that I'll becoming back for round two, though potentially once again as a Forereader.

I'm not sure, but I think they always have a little bit of excess that they sell. And I think the link to the digital version is public somewhere on Brandon’s website.

It can be found here, on the Dragonsteel store, rather than the primary website Free Fiction section like WoK Prime.

20 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

It can be found here, on the Dragonsteel store, rather than the primary website Free Fiction section like WoK Prime.

Thank you! I've been wondering how people managed reading it already, thought they might've listened to the audiobook that was uploaded to YouTube.

What do you know, I decide to log on for the first time in forever and find this message, posted yesterday! I must be psychic!
Yes, Truth, if you guys want to do a reading group reading my books, I'm still open to that. Just FYI, I write middle grade fantasy (aka my main characters are kids).
NGL, I would be kinda surprised if this happened, but it would be cool 😅.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, The Stormfather said:

I’d like to do this, but I’d rather read the book in one day and then talk about it the next. I can’t handle reading books slowly. They’re too exciting!!!!!!!

This has been what I've done pretty consistently as a part of this group.