Changes to Contact Methods and Gender Dropdown on Profiles

If you want to hear more from me, visit me on my blogs! They should be in the 'Contact Methods' field, but if you don't see them there, then perhaps they've been stolen by pixies. ;)

^From my "About Me" field.

So my blog links are being stolen by pixies? 😁

2 minutes ago, Ookla said:

^From my "About Me" field.

So my blog links are being stolen by pixies? 😁

No comment. 

*shoves a pixie under the rug* 

Just now, AonEne said:

No comment. 

*shoves a pixie under the rug* 

You know, I'm tempted to just let my blogs be disappeared for a week or two so we can all laugh about the clever fey folk sneaking around on the Shard. :)

18 minutes ago, Ookla said:

You know, I'm tempted to just let my blogs be disappeared for a week or two so we can all laugh about the clever fey folk sneaking around on the Shard. :)

shh. ignore the fey sharders!

9 hours ago, AonEne said:

If you haven't selected anything or selected Other or Not Telling, it will be left blank.

Korean Pronouns FTW.

Spoiler

Korean pronouns are genderless and based on positional relevance instead:

• E (long E sound) This person or thing near the speaker (person saying the pronoun)
  • Ku (soft U sound like put - ʊ) That person or thing near the listener (person hearing the pronoun)
  • Jaw (soft aw sound like law - ɔː) That person or thing distant from both the speaker and listener

Edited by Treamayne

3 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Korean Pronouns FTW.

Hide contents

Korean pronouns are genderless and based on positional relevance instead:

• E (long E sound) This person or thing near the speaker (person saying the pronoun)
  • Ku (soft U sound like put - ʊ) That person or thing near the listener (person hearing the pronoun)
  • Jaw (soft aw sound like law - ɔː) That person or thing distant from both the speaker and listener

Hawaii had nonbinary pronouns before they were cool.

I'm a little sad to see all the dated contact info go away, but I can see why they're being stolen by the pixies changed. The pronouns dropdown will be a definite improvement.

Edited by NerdyAarakocra

1 minute ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

I'm a little sad to see all the dated contact info go away

True, but I'd also be surprised if there were a dozen people besides me that actually had an ICQ account. . . 

Spoiler

ICQ was an instant messenger that allowed you to access other Instant messengers in the same interface - Connecting Yahoo IM (YIM), AOL IM (AIM), etc. all at once. . . 

3 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

True, but I'd also be surprised if there were a dozen people besides me that actually had an ICQ account. . . 

Hide contents

ICQ was an instant messenger that allowed you to access other Instant messengers in the same interface - Connecting Yahoo IM (YIM), AOL IM (AIM), etc. all at once. . . 

Rest in peace, last vestige of the days where Silicon Valley Tech Bros were actually trusted.

Ah, that's right! I remember you guys mentioning this change in the past. Overall I'm excited! I think it'll be really cool/ useful.

20 hours ago, AonEne said:

we'll be updating at 2am MST Friday. The site will be down for a short while as these changes are made

Unrelated, but how was that specific time decided on? Just curious for some behind the scenes.

34 minutes ago, Lego Mistborn said:

Unrelated, but how was that specific time decided on? Just curious for some behind the scenes.

Most active users in North/South America should be asleep then - it's always going to be daytime somewhere, but at least most people should be able to sleep through the site being down for a bit and not be disturbed. 

20 minutes ago, Lego Mistborn said:

12 minutes ago, AonEne said:

Most active users in North America should be asleep then - it's always going to be daytime somewhere, but at least most people should be able to sleep through the site being down for a bit and not be disturbed. 

Here's an overview Comparison (Time.is), but to summarize:

Spoiler
  • 01:00 PDT
  • 02:00 MDT
  • 03:00 CDT
  • 04:00 EDT
  • UTM/GMT 08:00
  • BST 09:00
  • CEST 10:00
  • EEST 11:00
  • AWST 16:00
  • NZST 20:00

Just predicated on Global Internet usage, for any given time zone the majority of usage occurs late afternoon and evening. Granted this is not based on any metrics for this site specifically; but, in general, the most affected Time Zones with this timing would be those time zones East of Afghanistan and West of Hawaii. 

26 minutes ago, Lego Mistborn said:

So most of the 17th Shard userbase is American? (Meaning N/S America, not U.S.)

I was curious what metrics you based things off of.

I don't have access to member stats, but anecdotally it seems to be. 

21 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Here's an overview Comparison (Time.is), but to summarize:

Hide contents
  • 01:00 PDT
  • 02:00 MDT
  • 03:00 CDT
  • 04:00 EDT
  • UTM/GMT 08:00
  • BST 09:00
  • CEST 10:00
  • EEST 11:00
  • AWST 16:00
  • NZST 20:00

Just predicated on Global Internet usage, for any given time zone the majority of usage occurs late afternoon and evening. Granted this is not based on any metrics for this site specifically; but, in general, the most affected Time Zones with this timing would be those time zones East of Afghanistan and West of Hawaii. 

oh yay! i am affected! whoo!

Changes made - everyone say thank you to Paleo for his admin and tech wizardry!